Honored Contributor

Re: Governor calls school off state wide for us in WV tomorrow (Wednesday)........

[ Edited ]

Wrong call, indeed.

My cynical self thinks this gubernatorial action will

somehow/someway be used as a political chip

when the time is needed...that’s the only reason why

they did this...nothing surprises me anymore. 

If any state, it should be Texas on Thursday when the

train transports his body from Houston to College Station.

Respected Contributor

Re: Governor calls school off state wide for us in WV tomorrow (Wednesday)........

It is surprising that WV will close schools on Wednesday.

I am in the DC metro area.  Federal and Maryland state offices are closed but, to the best of my knowledge, all schools in the area will remain open.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Contributor

Do our students in West Virginia really need to miss more instructional time considering the state has one of the lowest education ratings in the country?

Respected Contributor

I'm from WV, and were not all imbecils. I have a college education, My Son and DIL both have masters, and my Granddaughter has a Doctorate. A good parent would have their child watch the funeral, and hear what respect for a President is. Something not a lot know about today. Good for my Governor! 

Honored Contributor

Oh, I don't know. There are far more ridiculous holidays in my opinion. Honoring someone whose accomplishments form as lengthy a list as Mr. Bush's does not strike me as problematic... I'd also note that one more or less day of school isn't going to enhance or detract from anyone's education... I have no idea what might have motivated the governor of West Virginia but on the face of it, it's a fitting tribute...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@HLP wrote:

A good parent would have their child watch the funeral 

....well, you know that’s not gonna happen.

Respected Contributor

The kids can't vote and I bet parents who can are not thrilled.  

Respected Contributor

@HLP wrote:

I'm from WV, and were not all imbecils. I have a college education, My Son and DIL both have masters, and my Granddaughter has a Doctorate. A good parent would have their child watch the funeral, and hear what respect for a President is. Something not a lot know about today. Good for my Governor! 

I should of said he closed all state agencies and gave state employees the day off. The only reason I mentioned schools was because that is my employer. I didn’t realize I would be told how “bad” we are at educating our children in this state. I respect anyone’s opinion, but I didn’t think I would told so much info about how terrible our teachers are in WV. I was only stating my opinion of how I thought it was respectful. I know not everyone will agree, and that’s okay. I’m not even a teacher. Oh well, the USPS employees will get lectured also. I mean how dare they close Post Offices and some banks when it’s this close to Christmas. Geesh, with that said, I am going to take my chill pill and head to bed. Have a great evening ladies! 🤪🤪

Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I think it would have shown more respect for President Bush if the schools remained open and dedicated today to teaching the students about him, his life, and his service.  They could also have used Sully, the president's service dog, as a reminder of what service dogs do and what Sully's job will be at the VA hospital.

People had the same philosophy around here about the ML King Jr. holiday, but there were major protests and demonstrations that year, so it's now a guaranteed day off from school.

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Oh, I don't know. There are far more ridiculous holidays in my opinion. Honoring someone whose accomplishments form as lengthy a list as Mr. Bush's does not strike me as problematic... I'd also note that one more or less day of school isn't going to enhance or detract from anyone's education... I have no idea what might have motivated the governor of West Virginia but on the face of it, it's a fitting tribute...

I only think he did it to honor the many things Mr. Bush did throughout his life. Now, did he have an ulterior motive, I don’t know. No one will know but him. He’s the governor and maybe he did it because he can. Many states close school on holidays like Thanksgiving of course, but they also are closed the day after and sometimes the day before. It will be interpreted differently by everyone. I agree that one day won’t change a thing.