Respected Contributor

How long would you think it would take for a state clerk to locate a birth certificate and send you a copy?  2 weeks?  maybe 3 at the most?

I paid for and ordered on-line on February 7th, and as of today March 14, it says it is still "pending verification".  And, it says on-line that the average processing time is 29 business days, not including delivery time.

How can it possibly take someone over 5 weeks to look up a record of a birth - and this is from a small state, so they can't have that many to pour over.  I have a non-certified copy, so I was able to fill out the request EXACTLY as it appears on the record - so there is no confusion on what it includes. 

Just so frustrated that it takes that amount of time, when of course my online payment was processed within a day. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

You're lucky if you have the option of a state employee searching for your document.  Most states now use a third party agency that charges an exorbitant fee for the service, which is the only way you can do it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

WOW ..... IN THIS DAY & AGE IT SHOULD BE OVERNIGHT!!!!! ...... IF WALLMART CAN DO IT ANYONE CAN!!!!!

Honored Contributor
But it’s the government.....
Regular Contributor

That time frame seems excessive.  I recently had to obtain copy of marriage certificate from 50 years ago.  I filled out form, sent check for $11.00, and within 10 days I was holding certified copy.  I am grateful as I couldn't renew driver's license without it.

I received this from New York, which is a pretty populous state.

Hopefully your info will arrive shortly.  Maybe they are like QVC, leaving your request in "processing" only to have it arrive at your home (LOL).

Honored Contributor

in maryland, if you order via mail, it takes 3-4 weeks unless you request and pay for expedited service.

we also have a footnote on our processing times.....

"****Due to an overwhelming demand for certificates, we have had to temporarily increase our processing times."

i am sure that due to the new drivers license regulations that more people than ever are requesting certified birth certificates.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@FLtricia wrote:

That time frame seems excessive.  I recently had to obtain copy of marriage certificate from 50 years ago.  I filled out form, sent check for $11.00, and within 10 days I was holding certified copy.  I am grateful as I couldn't renew driver's license without it.

Hopefully your info will arrive shortly.  Maybe they are like QVC, leaving your request in "processing" only to have it arrive at your home (LOL).

I also needed to get a copy of my marriage certificate recently.  I'm in PA and used to live in NJ.  It's only 20 minutes for me to the capital of Trenton, NJ,  so I went there in person.  I filled out a form, showed my ID gave them a check (in NJ it's $25.00) and got my certificate with raised seal in less than 10 minutes.  

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@FLtricia wrote:

I also needed to get a copy of my marriage certificate recently.  I'm in PA and used to live in NJ.  It's only 20 minutes for me to the capital of Trenton, NJ,  so I went there in person.  I filled out a form, showed my ID gave them a check (in NJ it's $25.00) and got my certificate with raised seal in less than 10 minutes.  

i think there is a difference between getting a certified copy of a birth certificate versus getting a certified copy of a marriage certificate. i know in maryland you can go to the county courthouse where you were married and get copies of marriage or divorce certificates. birth certificates have to come from vital records and cannot be obtained at the courthouse.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Once someone works on it, it should only take a minute or two.  Everything is on a computer base.

Babies are born everyday so BC's are requested on a continual basis.  Add to that requests for a duplicate, I could see how it takes a while to get one.

If you live in a state where real ID's are being implicated, the state is probably overwhelmed with requests for birth certificates and that adds to the backlog.

The last one I ordered online for a family member came in about a month later.

Honored Contributor

Re: Government records rant

[ Edited ]

I had to get a certified copcopy of my birth certificate.  I waited until I was able to travel home.  I figured it would be a big ordeal.  Had it in 5 minutes.  Can you call?