Regular Contributor

Re: Government delays in getting important things back to you in a reasonable amount of time

I filed electronically on March 16. Refund to be deposited to my checking account and no issues with stimulus or unemployment. No refund yet. Frustrating.

Honored Contributor

Re: Government delays in getting important things back to you in a reasonable amount of time

According to the website, expited service for a passport that is not for a life and death situation or urgent travel, it could take up to 12 weeks.  

Honored Contributor

@gellen wrote:
I am still waiting for my tax refund that was filed electronically in March and has been in process since then. More importantly I mailed my passport for renewal in early June paying the extra 60.00 for expedited processing. I need it back by early August. The passport center is in Philly and I mailed it by registered mail. It should only take a few weeks but no luck or any date available for when it might arrive. Very frustrating. Anyone else encountering similar problems? 🥴

@gellen    we received ours about a month ago.  We also sent ours registered mail and back in March like you. They are very backed up with all the pandemic payouts etc. I think all you can do is be very patient.

Respected Contributor

Blame it on Covid....... it’s always someone else’s fault for incompetence, or if the prices on items skyrocket, blame it on Covid... 🙄🙄. 

Respected Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

Blame it on Covid....... it’s always someone else’s fault for incompetence, or if the prices on items skyrocket, blame it on Covid... 🙄🙄. 

Well, gosh, maybe some things actually are related to Covid.

Honored Contributor

It took over 4 months to get my federal tax refund after I filed it electronically.Smiley Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

@gellen wrote:
I am still waiting for my tax refund that was filed electronically in March and has been in process since then. More importantly I mailed my passport for renewal in early June paying the extra 60.00 for expedited processing. I need it back by early August. The passport center is in Philly and I mailed it by registered mail. It should only take a few weeks but no luck or any date available for when it might arrive. Very frustrating. Anyone else encountering similar problems? 🥴

@gellen - my husband sent his old passport in 3/19 & got it back 8/19.  It was sent before the lockdown and got stuck.  The government offices weren't open but you can go online to see where your passport is. The expedited fee probably isn't expedited but will be sent to you before you need it.  I'm sure everyone isn't back to work and there's a back log I assume.  I don't get a refund but my payment was processed in a week.  I got my state back quickly.  

Trusted Contributor

Tax refunds are delayed because of a HUGE backlog on paperwork that, due to lockdowns during 2020, could not be completed.

The government is working on THOSE items and will get to the refunds when they get to them. There are articles all over the place discussing this mess. If your refund was done electronically and it was a very simple return, chances are you have already received it. Mailed in? You'll wait. Complicated? You'll wait. Very complicated? You're really going to wait.

I called our CPA about ours and because we moved, own property out of state and the difference between our old returns and this one was do dramatic, we probably won't see our refund until September/October (that's what she has been told via her connections). 

Covid DID have an affect; it shut down the country, it caused massive lay-offs and there are now not enough people trained (or working) to cut through the back-log. There it is.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

The IRS was in trouble even before the lockdowns. They are seriously underfunded and unstaffed to handle the caseload.
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I think they're just using the Covid excuse when It doesn't apply in all cases; many times is just incompetence. Being a government agency, I would go with the latter rather than because of Covid. That excuse is getting old. 

I've never understood the animus toward government employees in general. There is good and bad just as in the private sector.

@teganslaw 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland