Respected Contributor

Re: Gov. Wolf of Pennsylvania has cancelled all schools for the rest of the academic year

That's happened in my state too but some districts are going online along with charter schools...so far NONE of the school work they're doing will be allowed to count towards required school hours.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gov. Wolf of Pennsylvania has cancelled all schools for the rest of the academic year

@queendiva wrote:

DS is a teacher in PA. Only the school buildings have closed. Classes have been taught remotely for a couple of weeks and will continue in his district until early June, as previously scheduled. I am sure that is true of all public schools and most private schools as well.

I believe there will always be a hole in their lives for Class of 2020.seniors. More than missing out on graduation, prom,awards, trips, concerts, sports and all the rest, they are now finished as a class, and most abruptly. Covid-19 just pulled their lives out from under..No warning at all. They will all move on as soon as they are able. You know how your high school graduation was. Many, many of those people you never saw again, but at least you bonded as a class, largely because of the above mentioned activities and graduation walk.

I sympathise with all you parents of H.S. seniors. My sons both won many awards & scholarships which were presented in an awards ceremony. We all cherish the memories. The boys looked forward to their senior prom and graduation ceremony as the girls did.

@queendiva  You said it beautifully! Thank you!Heart You have a sense of

caring and decency.

Some here relive their experience of graduation and that may not have been

great so what the heck they think it is all about one wild party night. Terrible

view. 

Again, I appreciate your words!

Honored Contributor

@threecees wrote:

@queendiva wrote:

DS is a teacher in PA. Only the school buildings have closed. Classes have been taught remotely for a couple of weeks and will continue in his district until early June, as previously scheduled. I am sure that is true of all public schools and most private schools as well.

I believe there will always be a hole in their lives for Class of 2020.seniors. More than missing out on graduation, prom,awards, trips, concerts, sports and all the rest, they are now finished as a class, and most abruptly. Covid-19 just pulled their lives out from under..No warning at all. They will all move on as soon as they are able. You know how your high school graduation was. Many, many of those people you never saw again, but at least you bonded as a class, largely because of the above mentioned activities and graduation walk.

I sympathise with all you parents of H.S. seniors. My sons both won many awards & scholarships which were presented in an awards ceremony. We all cherish the memories. The boys looked forward to their senior prom and graduation ceremony as the girls did.

@queendiva  You said it beautifully! Thank you!Heart You have a sense of

caring and decency.

Some here relive their experience of graduation and that may not have been

great so what the heck they think it is all about one wild party night. Terrible

view. 

Again, I appreciate your words!

@threecees @queendiva I agree with your posts and @threecees I feel bad for your daughter. These are once in a lifetime experiences for her and I’m sorry she will miss out on this.

Honored Contributor

@ShopperL    It sounds as though your "senior experience" was an unmidigated disaster.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@threecees wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I'm sorry but missing graduation is one night and a party.  Kids should be looking forward to the start of their adult life now and thinking about what they will do with that.

To me that's is what it's all about.  Not a one-night ceremony.  I barely remember mine and didn't go to my college graduation at all.  It was a hot day outside, huge stadium and lots of lines and waiting around.  Who needs that?  

@Sooner, in your eyes. Not everyone feels the way that YOU DO.

@threecees I understand that, and I understand that you hurt for her.  Could you call the school and see if now or later you can have access to the robe and hat to take photos with?  Maybe the school could set up a photo venue at some time where people could come take pictures and get the kids access to the outfit.  

The problem is that in the face of what the whole country is going through, in the face of people without jobs and income, loved ones dying, chaos, undertainty, I think even high school kids know that this simply isnt a big deal.  She may benefit the rest of her life from learning to deal with disappointment because that's half the battle to success in anything.  

I'm not saying anything about it is good, but I'm saying we are all having to live now with fear and disappointment.  None of us can change one thing about it, so we move along as best we can.  Nobody on this board isn't disappointed about something and I think we all understand and sympathize and hurt for one another.  

Could you and she contact the people that would have come and talk to them?  Face Time with them?  Maybe make her a cake and make some contact with friends and others?  A quarantine graduation party?  Help her make a memory book, because she will have a real story to tell later on!  Have her friends send one another pictures of their time at home?  Make a scrapbook?  

Be happier you are alive, your mom and dad and grandparents are alive and you all have food.  THAT'S what you can help her to focus on now.  There are times in every life when you realize what the little stuff is.

Help her focus on the future. She will needs lots of positive support to focus on that.  It's a hard time to get out of school, but help her look positively to the future. 

My good thoughts go out to you and her.  

Respected Contributor

Gov. Wolf has also ordered flags in PA flown at half staff till further notice in honor of the victims who have died.