Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gov. Wolf of Pennsylvania has cancelled all schools for the rest of the academic year

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@threecees wrote:

Yep. Can't believe it, just found out too.

There goes my daughters terrific senior year. Waited all her life for this and

her graduation and this virus destroyed it all. Sick of it!

Keeping kids healthy is a good thing.  I heard some kids are still dressing up for prom on video.  Kids are finding a way to get through this.  Don't be discouragedSmiley Happy

@sunshine 919 It is very difficult. Our small family is heartbroken. She is a hard working

teen who has accomplish high honors all her school years. She has been working

a part-time job weekends and summers for two years now. She is my oldest child

and that is what hurts because I won't even have a picture of her in her cap and

gown. Now she is cashiering as many days she can because her school is not

even doing any online learning here, it is that bad. Everything has shut down and

there is nothing for these kids to do. Thanks for the nice words but it sure is tough.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gov. Wolf of Pennsylvania has cancelled all schools for the rest of the academic year

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

@threecees wrote:

@threecees , I feel for your daughter and for all of the seniors who are being deprived of all those senior year activities. For a teenager, it's the pinnacle of their long school career and a highly anticipated reward for all of those years of hard work. Breaks my heart that so many young people will not have those memories. Please give your daughter my best wishes as she moves on to the next phase of her life. 

@Maltichonmom17  Thank you, much appreciated. She wants to study law but she has

not even decided on her college and that is another huge ordeal. She was to go

back to visit 2 more schools in mid March because she was undecided  when all

of this around here started shutting everything down. She has an extension on time

to decide for the college but is not sure and is very worked up about everything.

Respected Contributor

Here in Georgia, the rest of the school year was canceled last week.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@threecees wrote:

It's sad and tough but a month ago a neighbor's son who is a senior and an honoroll student and star football player with several scholarship offers said that saving even one life by foregoing all the senior festivities is well worth it!!

Honored Contributor

It won be long before this will hold true for all 50 states, and DC.

Esteemed Contributor

It's a blessing to have politicians who care more about lives than their own personal interests.  

Esteemed Contributor

Our schools notified parents and students during spring break of school closing until the fall semester to keep everyone safe. In the meantime, students are still doing their classwork via on-line methods but grading will be strictly pass/fail.

Frankly, I'd rather have my teenage grandson safe and healthy than out with his friends! His parents are in total agreement are are strictly enforcing the stay in place, as are his friends families. To my knowledge, no one has complained about missing teen functions.

Are those really so important in one's life? Not really. We left Prom and went to a private party. Some friends and I skipped our graduation completely. And never bothered to attend grad ceremonies at all. Those aren't the important things in life to many of us. It's what we DO with our lives that count.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

It is sad that kids are missing all the fuss around high school graduation but they will still make memories that, I believe, they will eventually cherish.  These won't be like your memories of your senior year but seen as they look back, they may even be funny.  I remember many years ago when I went through a summer long drought while living in an island (Okinawa).  Impacted everything we did (no swimming, very short "Navy"showers, keeping your bathtub filled it your sector didn't have water, you could flush your toilet, no ice in drinks, etc).  Not as difficult as the crisis we are sharing right now but we got through it and (surprisingly) remember that time with humor and some poignant memories.

Valued Contributor

Let's be kind to one another and remember, I venture to say, all of us see the disappointment.  I have 2 graduating, One frm U of  M and the other Canyon University and 1 grand daughter had planned her wedding for May 6th.  They have worked hard, now it is our job to show them how to make it work.

Esteemed Contributor

A difficult decision on many levels, however, it is the right decision.  No one knows the extent if this virus.  Safety and common sense must take priority.