Respected Contributor

Re: Got my official walking papers today

I may be remembering wrong (& please forgive me if I am), but I sort of recall you saying awhile back that you'd like to move to somewhere else.  If that's what you want, you might take this as an opportunity & a sign to go where you really want to be & do what you really want to do, like an adventure.  This might be the shove you need to move in that direction & accomplish your wildest dreams.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 I gave myself a week to be mad and cry. I was off for a month and I really ended up enjoying it, but I had money to fall back on. I think the hardest thing for me, in my situation, was not having health insurance, the cobra was $1300 per month, the loss of the socialization with people that I worked with for years, and the fact that they fought my unemployment. Some employees told me that the management said that I had moved to another department in the company. Not true. Some employees called me, but I missed the day-to-day interaction. Some of us worked together for over 20 years. I see some of them on occasion now. I did lose the contributions to my 401 K and I had better benefits and high seniority, so yes I lost a lot. It hurt, and I felt isolated. That is why I took a shower and went out everyday. I watched the AM programs, ie, The Doctors and The Price is Right, the news then out the door I went. I think it is important to get dressed and get out, after the first week. It was weird not having to go to work but then I ended up liking not having to go to work. 

It was hard to learn a new job and computer system at my age but I did it. I am doing OK, I lost a lot but my anxiety level is much less now then when I was working in my other job. Hugs, no one deserves this. 

I thank God everyday for what I have, even though I don't understand why this happened, I accepted it as his will and maybe someday, I will understand why it happened. 

A word of advice to people on the board, Always have back-up money because you never know what is going to happen. A business may fold, and a job is lost just like that. 

Esteemed Contributor

The part that made my blood boil was the new owners asking you to set them up in their new system while you are still working for the old owners.  Really?  I would have set them up to the point they didn't know if they were coming or going.  What nerve.

You are going to be just fine Laura, doors are opening, you have a good head on your shoulders and the best is yet to come!!!!!!   

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

Here I go my DH worked at ins. claims turns 55yrs Oh we don't need you scaling down. He need 3 more yrs til pension. so they many interviews out of state I was so scared finally Az. ( we love Az.) said ok stay with the company but 2 pay scales down we will move you. Ok just need those yrs to get this pension but DD was 15yrs old going into a new high school boy did she give us a hard time. If he didn't take it he was a fool. time goes by DD got college degree now working at same ins. co. doing great 

dh retired got his pension but the road was hard. We did it. It was hard but it all worked out. 

Honored Contributor

@conlt Thanks!  You're inspiring and that's exactly what I plan to do today.  I outlined a new book last night and I plan to get that going and at least get that part of my new life going.  I'm headed out today for food shopping and maybe the park to hike.

It is so true to have that emergency fund.  Luckily I have one and a good living situation so I'll be okay for a good while if I have to be.  Great advice.

@Lindsays Grandma Don't get me started.  I actually looked at my coworker and said look at me doing all this and I'm not even on his payroll.  Never in my life have I seen a closing go down where you give someone the keys to the house and let them move in and do their laundry and cook them dinner before they even pay the mortgage.  Twilight zone has come out of my mouth more than once.

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: possible text that says 'Don't be afraid to start all over again. You may like your new story better.'

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 You remember correctly.  I seriously considered that and it's not off the table but it's a huge undertaking and I thought it might be best to start here with my safety net in place and then transfer out.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@aubnwa01 You remember correctly.  I seriously considered that and it's not off the table but it's a huge undertaking and I thought it might be best to start here with my safety net in place and then transfer out.  

@Laura14  Wise thinking. Moving and finding another position would be so expensive. Find the position and then the company will foot the expenses to move you. That's how our cross-country moves were done many years ago. It was an amazing adventure, we gained a lot of experience and cost us nothing in the process of climbing the ladder!

You've been thinking of this possibility for a few years. If you leave your community, let another company pay for your move after you have been hired! I like how you think ahead of the game. You'll be fine if you stay where you are or ultimately move.

Sending lots of well wishes for a R&R spring and a whole lot of moola from that unemployment!! Take time to smell the roses and enjoy the time off. Then, jump into a new job with gusto and no regrets. You will simply be closing chapter and opening the next chapter of your life. Keep writing your life's book with wit and sarcastic humor! <3  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady You are wonderful. 😘  I am actually writing right now.  Smiley Very Happy If I ever make money, y'all consider your EZ Pay paid.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14  LOL . . . dang I love your sarcastic humor! Expecially when I think about those who actually believe every word. ROFL

Money screams; wealth whispers.