Trusted Contributor

Re: Got my official walking papers today

Yes please Laura.  Research this before you do it.  I don't want them to potentially trigger income taxes by sending you a check; and it is not deposited on time.

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarieIG They will not.  They did have an info sheet on our benefits and we do have the option to not request distribution at this time and I won't.  Thank you so much for looking out for me.  ❤️

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 

So sorry that happened. It really does stink. Been through that several times myself when I was working.

Good Luck in you venture for a new job.

Since they are cost cutters if they don't offer enough I would keep looking.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad I am out of the job market.  Congratulations to you and I hope everything works out for you.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Good luck to you.  At age 50 after being with a company since age 18, my son was let go.  He had too much pay and benefits, so they outsourced from Mexico and the Philippines.

He was able to get hired in his field and is now 60.  Companies don,t care how loyal or hard worker you are, if they can hire cheaper.

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

If the new owners asked you to stay on with your current benefits (i.e. health insurance, 401K), would you?  

@deepwaterdotter The new owners are cost cutters.  They won't pay my current salary I am sure.  I am not worried about insurance as I have my own catastrophic policies and insurance today pays nothing for anything anyway.  Sad about my 401k contribution going away but I have a good amount in there already and they are allowing us to leave it with their provider for now.  

Never leave your 401k money with a former employer. Take it as soon as possible and roll it over to someplace safe. As long as you don't takes the money there are no tax issues. But please never leave your 401K money with a former employer. 

Honored Contributor

So sorry to hear this, @Laura14 .  The good news is that you definitely know the old job is gone and you can start definitive plans in a new direction.  That job was giving you way too much stress, IMO.  Working part time as an assistant pharmacist will give you enough experience to know if you want to stay there.  The real plus is that you can do your writing on the side.  Best of luck!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty It's actually with an outside investment firm.  Does that matter?

@Mmsfoxxie Thanks.  I found another full time job opening up the street at another location and applied there too this morning.  The stress put me in places I am too embarrassed to share.  I'm excited to get a phone call and start my new life.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14   I'm sorry this is happening to you. You have a good plan & good mindset.  I know you will be sucessful.

I've lost jobs to outsourcing & company selling off a line of business & company leaving the state. Three different companies.

20 years ago ....I remember coming out of a presentation, everyone looking like someone had died.  I said what happened?  they had been told the company is selling off the line of business. WTH? 

Luckily I was able to collect unemployment and severance pay & also have school paid for re-training.

outsourcing  ....We were told if we didn't help with training of our replacements we wouldn't get severance pay. 

Company leaving the state.... We were told in October the company was leaving the state. I had my eye on the company I work for now. By June I was I hired (10 years ago this June). Hopefully I will make it to retirement from here.

Best of luck to you!

eta:  I had 3 offers the same day, the company I wanted and 2 others. 

Honored Contributor

Speak to a financial advisor before you do anything about your IRA .

It has to be worded in a certain way so that no taxes or penalties are applied.