Honored Contributor

Re: Got my flu shot shot todayi

@Marp 

I posted something similar to that over in Wellness.  I've decided to wait it out a bit before I get my shot...going by what the CDC is saying.

Honored Contributor

I called Costco and they have the flu shots in.  I usually get it in October but I think I will go next week.  I don't think they will run out I just don't want to stand in line forever!

Honored Contributor

If you've already received your shot, I'm hopeful it will protect you. But if you haven't yet, I would listen to the CDC recommendation to wait until September or October.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@patbz  I had the same thought, didn't want crowds, and afraid they would run out. So I got mine today at Publix. They give a $10 gift card with the shot. 
  There was only one couple after me waiting as I came out. (You and your husband!?) 

I never felt the shot and the arm doesn't hurt at all.

Then I shopped to spend my $10. It didn't go far at Publix! But it's a free meal. 
                               💉

@1Snickers Does a Publix just bill your insurance company? Does the pharmacist give the shot or is there someone special that does it? Did you have the high dose for over 65 shot or the shot for 64 and younger? Did you get quadravalent or trivalent? If any of these questions are not something you care to answer, please just ignore it. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

I've been told that also, don't get flu shots early, I wait until end of October.  

And so what if they run out, if I am protecting my self against Covid-19.  I don't have much of a chance of getting the flu.

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

DH and I got our senior flu shots today.  Usually get it mid October but Pharmacist said they may be out of it by end of September!  Be forewarned!

Glad you forwarded your pharmacist's advice, @patbz .  When I had my physical a few weeks ago, my doctor suggested I wait until October to get my flu shot (I usually get it in September).  Her thinking is that waiting longer to get it means it will be at its most effective later in the season, when Covid concerns will be heightened by the usual winter colds and coughs.  But now i'm reconsidering and may get it sooner just to be sure the supply doesn't run out.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I have read that you should not get your flu shot in the summer months.  And also that their effectiveness only lasts about six month.  I've also heard reports that there's no shortage of the flu vaccine this year.  I'll get mine late September/early October, per the advise of my NP.

@Krimpette  Yes....I heard the that there will be PLENTY of flu vaccine availability this year. 

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:
I got my flu shot early last year but then my mother’s doctor (who I see far more often than I do my own) said that it wasn’t worth it and I should have waited. Wish I could remember the reason - will see him next week and ask. I don’t think getting this early will cover you for the entire season and, may potentially, not be the most up to date shot.

My doctor told me the same thing two weeks ago, citing the reason you gave, @Alter Ego .

Esteemed Contributor

I always get my flu shot in October. I did not even know that they offered them this early. 

I will stick with my end of year schedule. 

Esteemed Contributor

How many flu vaccines are expected to be available for the 2020-2021 flu season?

Flu vaccine is produced by private manufacturers, so supply depends on manufacturers. For the 2020-2021 season, manufacturers have projected they will provide as many as 194-198 million doses of flu vaccine, which is more than the 175 million dose record set during the 2019-2020 flu season.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.