Esteemed Contributor

Re: Got my flu shot shot todayi

@Mindy D @I got the 65 & up dose of Quadrivalent. The pharmacist gave the shot in a separate room from the waiting area. She billed Medicare & supplemental directly. 
  Then she gave me the paperwork and a $10. Gift card.

The past years I've been getting them at Target, but the shot isn't in a separate room. & only $5. Gift card unless that's changed.

I got both shingles shots at Publix also and they called me when the second was due. 
   It was easy and fast due to no lines of people waiting. 
My evening newspaper mentioned that closer to cold weather there could be a shortage. 
  It's been over 12 hours and no reaction except if I press on the shot area a bit sore. 
  I wish they had one for the COVID 19, I would be first in line!         
                        😷  🦠

Respected Contributor

I get mine in mid September. Walgreens makes it very convenient and easy. I always know that my cost is $0.

If I get it at my doctor's office at the time of my physical, I am never sure what my cost will be. 

Esteemed Contributor

I was advised several years ago by my PCP to not get a flu shot until late September or early October. 

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I was advised several years ago by my PCP to not get a flu shot until late September or early October. 

Me, too, only I was told mid-October.  I'm wondering if anyone gets two, one early and one in January or February.  🤷🏼‍♀️

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D :  We got the senior shot at Safeway; the Pharmacist administered the shots.  The input form didn't mention insurance but I assume that either Medicare or BCBS was billed ( we are very regular customers at Safeway and they processed the forms before shots were administered).  Next time we go in I'm going to ask what the charge will be for my adult son (manager at a fast food franchise with no benefits or insurance).

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

If you've already received your shot, I'm hopeful it will protect you. But if you haven't yet, I would listen to the CDC recommendation to wait until September or October.

@suzyQ3 

If I get it done next week it will be "almost" September.

Honored Contributor

I don't get a flu shot, but my mom does. Has been told it is way too early and will loose what pitiful effectiveness it might have way before flu season is over if administered this early. We get hers at the end of September.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio : I talked to the Pharmacist about the timing before I got the flu shot and got it now on his recommendation. I doubt I'll get the flu late in the season but if I  do, so be it!  I am a very healthy 76 so what I'm worried about is that I (or DH who is 69 with multiple serious risk factors) will get Covid and the flu CONCURRENTLY which could be a killer.  The Pharmacist also mentioned that the fact I have received flu shots every year for over 30 years has a residual resistance factor (I assume he is a registered Pharmacist and proper training and certifications are required).  He further stated that many more people are inquiring about flu shot this  year and they are expecting this trend of getting flu vaccine this year to continue.  I believe that the company/ies that manufacture vaccine project in advance what they expect the demand to be and make that much.  Bet Mindy D. can verify my assumption!

Honored Contributor

I plan to get mine tomorrow.  I called my doctors office this afternoon and asked it it's too early and they said it's fine to get it now.  

I will get it at Publix so I can get the $10 gift card. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?