Valued Contributor

all by myself. So happy didn't have to call a repair person! It was full of lint at the base behind my dryer. I patted myself on the back for that one. ha!

cookin

Respected Contributor

Good for you, and good that you got that gunk out of there before it started a fire!  Heart

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak Doesn't it feel great to "do it yourself" sometimes???  Congrats!!!!

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak You are a girl after my own heart.  I am always fixing things around my house.  My friend and I took my toilet (entire toilet) apart 3 times trying to get the inside flapper just right.

I have repaired so many things.  I'm lucky because I have a guy friend who (like my late husband) fixes everything.  He, his wife and I work on lots of repair jobs.

Due to my bad back I can't do as much as I used to but I still do some of it.  I miss the old days when I could do it all.

People used to ask my late husband how he knew how to repair everything (he used to put in new heating elements into our dryers) and my late husband would reply, "If I can't figure it out, I get a book and read about it.  Mainly, I'm not afraid to TRY to fix it.  That's the main battle".

Respected Contributor

Good for you. You Tube is great for helping repair stuff. There are very few parts in a dryer and oven so the fixes are relatively easy. 

Respected Contributor

Good job!

Honored Contributor

Yay! You saved money...now let's party!Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak

Good for you!  When a dryer runs, but does not dry?  First place to check is the vents being plugged with lint. I have a lint brush kit and after each load I clean the filter and then run the brush in every "nook and granny" in the filter slot.

Sometimes, with our good size feline family, I even wipe down the fins and drum inside the dryer with a damp microfiber cloth. We recently bought a new fancy computerized type of dryer and I plan on keeping it lint free so very little can accumulate in the venting hose that runs to the outside.

And @cookinfreak, a big back pat from me for ya!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak wrote:

all by myself. So happy didn't have to call a repair person! It was full of lint at the base behind my dryer. I patted myself on the back for that one. ha!

cookin

excellent

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago, QVC was selling a long brush to clean the lint from the dryer. Prior to that, I never knew about it. Too much lint does cause fires. So I  clean the lint trap on my dryer after every use. When I have my washer or dryer repaired (not often) - I ask the repairmen to clean the hose behind the dryer.

I also use that long brush to remove the dust under my refrigerator -- and then I vacuum it. A neighbor who used to live across the street had a refrigerator that stopped working and she called a repairman. It was all that dust that accumulated under her refrigerator for 15 yrs.

Lowes carries this brush - and I'm sure there are other types as well.