Respected Contributor

Re: Got my 1st Moderna shot yesterday

All 3 members of our family who have been vaccinated got the Moderna vaccine, each with different side effects:

My 95 year old Aunt had nothing more than a slightly sore arm after both shots.

DH (late 60's) also had a slightly sore arm both times. He was tired after the first shot. After the second shot, he woke up that night with chills, fever and body aches. These lasted for a few hours, but were gone by the time he woke up the next day. 

I (late 60's) had the same symptoms as DH after the first shot. I thought I'd gotten off scot-free after the second one, but had a severe back spasm late the next morning (there's another post about this from a few weeks ago). This was the only spasm I had and my back ached a little afterward for about a day and a half as my muscles recovered. 

None of us have had any additional subsequent side effects than I described above.

I think they want you to stick around after being vaccinated to ensure you don't have any drastic allergic reaction such anaphylaxis.

Respected Contributor

@songbird I'm sure it's different everywhere but some places load their appointments at midnight.  I wanted to get mine through a pharmacy and not the mass vaccination sites so I checked three different pharmacy websites routinely. I got my second last Sunday (Pfizer) and had no side effects.  

Honored Contributor

Well, it was my own fault.  The guy did tell me I had to stick around.  Not in so many words, but it did imply if I keeled over near death.  And it had to be 15 minutes.  He said if he came come out for me after 15 minutes.  I was free to go. I just didn't think.  I was glad it was over, and I scurried out of there. 

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I got my second pfizer shot wed., and I felt like I was run over by a horse yesterday, had fever and the whole nine yards. 

But, I am glad I've gotten fully vacinated.

Honored Contributor

@santorini wrote:

@songbird I'm sure it's different everywhere but some places load their appointments at midnight.  I wanted to get mine through a pharmacy and not the mass vaccination sites so I checked three different pharmacy websites routinely. I got my second last Sunday (Pfizer) and had no side effects.  

@santorini Nobody really wants to go to those mass vaccination places.  The only good thing is that you are in your car.  But you don't have "individual" attention.  At the pharmacy, you do.  My sister in law got her Johnson & Johnson shot through a mass one. It was just before they made that announcement.  You can imagine how she must have felt.  I think it was last batch used. She's fine by the way.  My husband insists he will only take a vaccine if it's in a pharmacy.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My understanding was both shots are the same (at least with Pfizer) The only reason shot 2 affects more people is because you've already had a dose. As for waiting 15 minutes, after I had my shot, a time sticker was placed on me and I was ushered into an area to wait. A person in charge of the area allowed me to go after 15 minutes. This was for my own protection.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Both Moderna shots are the same amount of vaccine for each injection. Though there may be a bigger or more noticeable reaction to the second shot for some people, it is not true that it "packs a punch" because it is any bigger amount or "is a lot stronger" than the first shot. 

Facts: 

Each dose of Moderna is 0.5mL, taken 4 weeks apart. 
Each dose of Pfizer  is 0.3mL, taken 3 weeks apart. 

Esteemed Contributor

I had my second Moderna shot on April 18th at Kroger. I was told to stay fifteen minutes and shop if I wished. My arm was a little sore for a couple of days. And a slight headache when awakening. The big thing was he told me I would be good for SIX MONTHS. 

Respected Contributor

Somewhere I heard that you should be very hydrated before getting the shots and no aspirin before the shots.

The second Moderna shot had me extremely exhausted for a day.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@santorini wrote:

@santorini Nobody really wants to go to those mass vaccination places.  The only good thing is that you are in your car.  But you don't have "individual" attention.  At the pharmacy, you do.  My sister in law got her Johnson & Johnson shot through a mass one. It was just before they made that announcement.  You can imagine how she must have felt.  I think it was last batch used. She's fine by the way.  My husband insists he will only take a vaccine if it's in a pharmacy.

DH went to a mass drive-thru site and I went to CVS.   Based on our experience I scheduled DD at the mass site.  It was so well organized.  DH has underlying health conditions so they had him wait a half hour.  I was there when DD had hers.  There was somebody right there if she'd had any problems; I could have gone down in CVS and nobody would have noticed.

When DH got his and when DD got her first, there was zero wait...just drive right up to the various posts.  When she got her second there was a short line and then a bunch of cars were turned away.  It was the day they opened to everybody so I was thinking maybe some people just went without an appointment.   Once that cleared out it was again a straight shot to each post.

I am one who initially had no plan to get a vax.  DD felt the same way.  As time went on we decided to go ahead and do it and I am surprised by what an absolute relief it is to have it done!