Esteemed Contributor

Re: Got my 1st Moderna shot yesterday

@febe1 wrote:

@77yangya wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

I only had a sore arm with the first Moderna shot, but I got really sick with the second one. I had fever, chills, and aches all over. I couldn't get out of bed the day after. It started almost exactly 12 hours after the shot and only last about a day and a half. Of course you may experience none of this, but I wouldn't plan anything the couple of days after your second shot just in case. I'm relieved to have it done with and be fully vaccinated.

Just based on personal experience, younger people seem to have a harsher reaction. My mom, who is over 80, had barely any reaction, and her friends didn't either, but most of the people I know under 50 got sick for a day or two. I don't know if there's a reason for that or if it's just coincidence.

and they're saying that this is probably only good for six months and you have to do it again.  This disease is cousin to the common cold.  When I was a teenager I got tons of colds, flu, pneumonia.  I trust GOD alone.  He can protect me, not man can and if He does not, I still don't trust whatever it is they've got.

I was told my Moderna was only good for six months, also, @77yangya . I believe Covid will always be with us in the future, just like our Influenza vaccine. Many still die annually with the influenza. I've always taken the flu vaccine and can't remember ever having it. So, I will continue with the Covid vaccine. 

@febe1 @77yangya 

Not correct about the vaccines "only good for six months."  The original group was vaccinated 6 months ago, and they still have strong antibodies, so at this point we can say that Moderna (and Pfizer) vaccines are good for 6 months.  When more time has gone by (9 months, 12 months) they will be able to report on whether immunity is still good at that point. So the take away is that the vaccines are good for at least 6 months, not only 6 months

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@77yangya wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

I only had a sore arm with the first Moderna shot, but I got really sick with the second one. I had fever, chills, and aches all over. I couldn't get out of bed the day after. It started almost exactly 12 hours after the shot and only last about a day and a half. Of course you may experience none of this, but I wouldn't plan anything the couple of days after your second shot just in case. I'm relieved to have it done with and be fully vaccinated.

Just based on personal experience, younger people seem to have a harsher reaction. My mom, who is over 80, had barely any reaction, and her friends didn't either, but most of the people I know under 50 got sick for a day or two. I don't know if there's a reason for that or if it's just coincidence.

and they're saying that this is probably only good for six months and you have to do it again.  This disease is cousin to the common cold.  When I was a teenager I got tons of colds, flu, pneumonia.  I trust GOD alone.  He can protect me, not man can and if He does not, I still don't trust whatever it is they've got.

I was told my Moderna was only good for six months, also, @77yangya . I believe Covid will always be with us in the future, just like our Influenza vaccine. Many still die annually with the influenza. I've always taken the flu vaccine and can't remember ever having it. So, I will continue with the Covid vaccine. 

@febe1 @77yangya 

Not correct about the vaccines "only good for six months."  The original group was vaccinated 6 months ago, and they still have strong antibodies, so at this point we can say that Moderna (and Pfizer) vaccines are good for 6 months.  When more time has gone by (9 months, 12 months) they will be able to report on whether immunity is still good at that point. So the take away is that the vaccines are good for at least 6 months, not only 6 months

I would still think they would offer some kind of yearly shot like the flu.  I still take my flu shot (last October) but it was over shadowed by COVID, but I'm sure they will offer it along with a yearly COID shot. If we had not had the vaccine, this would have lingered for years and years. I keep hoping this will be over by 2023.

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird 

I agree that it's most likely we'll end up with a yearly COVID shot, both to boost our immunity and to cover newer variants.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags  and HOPE, just like with the flu shot,  that they picked ther RIGHT variants that will become prevailant the next year.  There will be MUCH to consider in the times to come.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@songbird - just wanted to wish you good luck on your second Shot today. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Thank you!  As usual I'm a nervous wreck.  I'm always like that just before a doctor/dentist/you name appointment.  I'm OK once I'm there!  It's always the anticipation!

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

Thank you!  As usual I'm a nervous wreck.  I'm always like that just before a doctor/dentist/you name appointment.  I'm OK once I'm there!  It's always the anticipation!

@songbird -yes, the anticipation is the worst.  Tomorrow you might not feel the greatest, but just think, it will be over and in 2 weeks you'll be considered fully vaccinated. What a wonderful feeling.  

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh   Well....I'm done.  Took so fast!  Even faster then the last time.  I came in early, the only one there.  I was vaccinated under 2 minutes.  Came out and a whole bunch of people were.  Turns out I didn't have to wait 15 minutes or what ever.  Just the first time.  Anyway I'm fine, too early to feel side effects.  I'll be OK!  And thank you.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@gidgetgh   Well....I'm done.  Took so fast!  Even faster then the last time.  I came in early, the only one there.  I was vaccinated under 2 minutes.  Came out and a whole bunch of people were.  Turns out I didn't have to wait 15 minutes or what ever.  Just the first time.  Anyway I'm fine, too early to feel side effects.  I'll be OK!  And thank you.

@songbird - I'm so glad.  And you got it done early in the day so now the rest of the day is yours to enjoy with no angst.  Happy vaccination day!

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Congratulations! That is so great that you pushed through your fear and got it done. Let us know how you are doing. If you have any of the usual side effects, they're almost guaranteed to be over in a day or two. I echo @gidgetgh. Happy Vaccination Day!

I'm less than a week away from being fully vaccinated. Woman Very Happy

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr