Honored Contributor

Got my 1st Moderna shot yesterday

[ Edited ]

I didn't have much of a side effect.  The needle was very easy, no pain with that.  My arm was sore for a while, but it's all but disappeared later that day.  The person who gave me the shot told me it would not be bad for the 1st shot, but might be a different story with the second. The 2nd one is kind of a booster.  It packs a punch.  The second shot will be a lot stronger.  So besides a sore arm, other side effects may happen.  But also some people don't react at all. 

I only messed up once.  He told me to hang around outside of the little office for about 15 minutes.  I don't know.  I called my husband as soon as I was finished and he said he would pick be me up (I only live about 1 block from the Rite Aid...but it was cold that day)  Without thinking I went outside to the parking lot and My husband was there.  I left.  I forgot about hanging around.  Next shot will be 5/20/21 without a time.  They will email me with a time on that day.  If I don't see any eamil, to come on that day between 2:00PM and 6:00PM

Frequent Contributor

Re: Got my 1st Moderna shot yesterday

Hi Songbird:

I had the Moderna, and didn't stay for the 15 minutes either.  I already had my second injection, and suffered no side effects.  I guess it just depends on the individual.

Respected Contributor

@songbird @SharonZ 

THANK YOU.  Mine were in February and March.  My side effects were minimal.  I wasn't too enthusiastic about getting the vaccine, but afterwards I felt proud of myself.  I felt like I did my civic duty.  So, hopefully, we are doing the right thing, doing our part to head our country back to a normal lifestyle. 

Respected Contributor

I only had a sore arm with the first Moderna shot, but I got really sick with the second one. I had fever, chills, and aches all over. I couldn't get out of bed the day after. It started almost exactly 12 hours after the shot and only last about a day and a half. Of course you may experience none of this, but I wouldn't plan anything the couple of days after your second shot just in case. I'm relieved to have it done with and be fully vaccinated.

Just based on personal experience, younger people seem to have a harsher reaction. My mom, who is over 80, had barely any reaction, and her friends didn't either, but most of the people I know under 50 got sick for a day or two. I don't know if there's a reason for that or if it's just coincidence.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I honesty didn't think I would ever get a vaccine by the end of this year.  It took me forever before my state open up for everyone.  Then it took me 10 tries before I managed to get one.  My husband still can't get his.  He tried twice today.  He doesn't want to go the mass vaccinations site at the stadium or fairgrounds. He wanted a pharmacy like me.

I tried to get another appointment for my husband, but everything is filled up again!

I still feel badly about leaving like that.  The person told me I had to stay at least 15 minutes.  He was going to check up on me.  Per warning me.  He did say the younger you are, the more apt of side effects.  I also got a form I had to fill out and a card.  I have to bring back both for the next shot.

Trusted Contributor

In addition to myself, four other family members got the Moderna shot twice and all of us just had mild side effects the next day, such as headache, tiredness, and a sore arm.  I had heard a lot of horror stories about this particular brand of vaccine, but our experience was very positive.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JJsMom wrote:

I only had a sore arm with the first Moderna shot, but I got really sick with the second one. I had fever, chills, and aches all over. I couldn't get out of bed the day after. It started almost exactly 12 hours after the shot and only last about a day and a half. Of course you may experience none of this, but I wouldn't plan anything the couple of days after your second shot just in case. I'm relieved to have it done with and be fully vaccinated.

Just based on personal experience, younger people seem to have a harsher reaction. My mom, who is over 80, had barely any reaction, and her friends didn't either, but most of the people I know under 50 got sick for a day or two. I don't know if there's a reason for that or if it's just coincidence.

It just might t be that. I was told that when I asked at the vaccination site.  I think it's scaring some people off too.  My brother in law refuses to get one.  I'm worried more people won't take it because of side effects.  The instructons said to have someone look after you after the 2nd shot/

Respected Contributor

@songbird For me, the second shot was not as bad as the firs (first shot was fatigue, chills)  secod shot very little fatigue and no chills.

Honored Contributor

I got my second Moderna shot on Tuesday.  So far all I've had for side effects is a large red, raised patch around the injection site and that's already fading.

After my first shot, I was fine except for feeling tired the next day and I just went to bed for a couple of hours.

I was concerned the vaccination would cause my RA to flare up, as a previous flu shot did but, so far, so good!  And I'm really pleased to have done this.

I did remain at the vaccination site for 15 minutes each time, as requested.  You just never know what might happen with an unknown and it's best to be where medical staff can help you.  It was no hardship to wait.  I played Candy Crush!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

In addition to myself, four other family members got the Moderna shot twice and all of us just had mild side effects the next day, such as headache, tiredness, and a sore arm.  I had heard a lot of horror stories about this particular brand of vaccine, but our experience was very positive.

That's why I was upset I would get the Moderna.  But relieved I got a vaccination