Honored Contributor

Re: Got a scare this mornng

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I had this happen twice and both times, it involved a purchase from a business selling on Amazon ( but not shipped by Amazon).

I no longer order from 'secondary sellers' on Amazon.

@KingstonsMom

That happened to me ordering an item directly from Amazon and Amazon shipping.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

I opened up my Visa account and saw a pending charge for $1,077.00 that I knew nothing about.  I called my Visa and they stopped my card.  Another authorization was done this morning for over a $1,000.00.  This was stopped too.  Those were the only charges that were fraudulent.I will get a new card sent in the mail.  I have no idea how my card was compromised.

My card was in my possession.  It was done online

@songbird

That's how it has happened to me in the past. Always after making a purchase online.

IMO it's from dishonest employees taking your number so they can go shopping later.

All companies need to have it set up so their employees can only see the last 4 digits.

When I call & they ask for my number I'm not giving it out.

Someone used our card once in New Jersey trying to buy around $1800 worth of steel.

Respected Contributor

RFID wallets and cc holders prevent skimmers from stealing your info; it's worked for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

@songbird wrote:

I opened up my Visa account and saw a pending charge for $1,077.00 that I knew nothing about.  I called my Visa and they stopped my card.  Another authorization was done this morning for over a $1,000.00.  This was stopped too.  Those were the only charges that were fraudulent.I will get a new card sent in the mail.  I have no idea how my card was compromised.

My card was in my possession.  It was done online

@songbird

That's how it has happened to me in the past. Always after making a purchase online.

IMO it's from dishonest employees taking your number so they can go shopping later.

All companies need to have it set up so their employees can only see the last 4 digits.

When I call & they ask for my number I'm not giving it out.

Someone used our card once in New Jersey trying to buy around $1800 worth of steel.

I never thought about that, but it's quite possible.  I'm just glad that Visa will not charge me.  All total, it was abut 4 transactions since yesterday evening and this morning. After I stopped the card, there were 2 other charges. that was declined immediately.  I didn't see it.  All electronic stuff.  the only charge that showed up was the one for $1, 477.00

Trusted Contributor

@songbird I have security alerts set up on my credit card and debit card to notify me immediately when any activity happens on my cards and this includes my purchases, online purchases anything.  Makes me feel better and safer.

Esteemed Contributor

@maestra wrote:

RFID wallets and cc holders prevent skimmers from stealing your info; it's worked for me.

Not if you're swiping your card.

Respected Contributor

It's happened to me several times. Now, I have text and emal alerts set up for purchases over a certain amount and for any purchases made a gas stations. 

I also check my accounts daily online.

I'm pretty certain that the last time this happened was at my at doctors office. When I wanted to pay my bill using a cc, the receptionist claimed that their cc terminal was down so she had to call the main office and read the cc number to an employee.

I now carry enough cash to pay the bill if necessary.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@maestra wrote:

Not if you're swiping your card.

@qbetzforreal

And not if you're ordering online.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Credit card skimming is one of the reasons we ONLY buy gas with a gift card bought at Publix. We NEVER EVER use a credit card at a gas station as this is the most common place thieves use those skimmers.

Honored Contributor

I've probably told this story before however when the music streaming company Tidal started, the financial arm of the company was in Sweden.  All I wanted to do was buy/download an album.  I tried first with American Express, it was declined.  I tried with my Visa (have had 40 years) and it was declined.  I don't think I had more than a $50 balance on each card and I was furious.

I called each company and the response was the same - Mrs................ you're not much of a traveler and we assumed it was fraud since it was in Sweden.  

Once the credit card companies got it straight, Tidal gave me the side eye because they thought I was a fraud so I ended up with paypal, lol.

It's scary and reassuring at the same time how well my credit card companies know me.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise