Honored Contributor

Got a scare this mornng

[ Edited ]

I opened up my Visa account and saw a pending charge for $1,077.00 that I knew nothing about.  I called my Visa and they stopped my card.  Another authorization was done this morning for over a $1,000.00.  This was stopped too.  Those were the only charges that were fraudulent.I will get a new card sent in the mail.  I have no idea how my card was compromised.

My card was in my possession.  It was done online

Honored Contributor

@songbird

That's a lot of premium denim! Cat Tongue

That happened to me a few years ago with UGG boots- $1,400 worth expedited shipping to an address other than mine.  BOA sent it on through but it was the MERCHANT who flagged it and called me first.  

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I opened up my Visa account and saw a pending charge for $1,077.00 that I knew nothing about.  I called my Visa and they stopped my card.  Another authorization was done this morning for over a $1,000.00.  This was stopped too.  Those were the only charges that were fraudulent.I will get a new card sent in the mail.  I have no idea how my card was compromised.

@songbird- Your card was skimmed at the last placed you used it.  Have Visa put a freeze on the card.

Credit card skimming is a type of credit card theft where crooks use a small device to steal credit card information in an otherwise legitimate credit or debit card transaction. When a credit or debit card is swiped through a skimmer, the device captures and stores all the details stored in the card's magnetic stripe.

Honored Contributor

I had this happen twice and both times, it involved a purchase from a business selling on Amazon ( but not shipped by Amazon).

I no longer order from 'secondary sellers' on Amazon.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

It’s happened to me a couple of times.It’s so unnerving that someone can charge up a storm on your credit card.Luckily, we aren’t liable for the charges!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Got a scare this mornng

[ Edited ]

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@songbird- Your card was skimmed at the last placed you used it.  Have Visa put a freeze on the card.

Credit card skimming is a type of credit card theft where crooks use a small device to steal credit card information in an otherwise legitimate credit or debit card transaction. When a credit or debit card is swiped through a skimmer, the device captures and stores all the details stored in the card's magnetic stripe.

My card has been closed. It turned out to be several charges all made today.  All Various places. They were all online. The one for $1,407.00 was for verizon wireless and don't have my credit card number.  Everything was done on line.  All have been stopped.  First time this has happened to me.  I don't physically carry my card in to stores unless with the idea to buy something. My new card should be here in a week.  My last transaction was at Amazon to a seller of bottled drinks.  That shipped.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@songbird

That's a lot of premium denim! Cat Tongue

That happened to me a few years ago with UGG boots- $1,400 worth expedited shipping to an address other than mine.  BOA sent it on through but it was the MERCHANT who flagged it and called me first.  

Loved your comment!!!!!  Naw, I'm stopping myself from getting jeans.  It's hard, but I try....

Respected Contributor

Yes, it's scary & it's happened to me several times. Has anyone done the free dark web scan that Experian offers? I'd like to do it but don't want to end up enrolled in anything. There's an article on their website that shows what your personal info sells for, it's jawdropping & maddening.

Honored Contributor

This has happened to me three times on three different credit cards.  None of it was on-line purchases.  They were purchasing gas and tires on the East Coast and I live on the West Coast.  My credit card companies caught it and replaced the cards.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Got a scare this mornng

[ Edited ]

We are having our fireplace insert replaced, which is quite costly, and put it on a card that gives us really good benefits.  It was declined and we were notified immediately to let them know that the charges were good.  The major credit card companies are experiencing much foreign fraud and they seem to be working diligently, somehow trying to stay ahead.  

What is really good about my Costco card is that not only is every purchased listed, but the bill also lists who made each purchase.  That really makes it easy to track.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!