Honored Contributor

Re: Gorilla Glue Girl To Sue (No Surprise!)

[ Edited ]

@ceejay wrote:

@Porcelain, not really political/controversial but unfortunately true.  It is a lot better now as a lot of black women have enthusiastically embraced their natural hair and it has been accepted. That was not always the case even among black people. When I was a young girl, many people referred to straight hair as "good hair" and coarse, curly hair as "bad hair," "nappy" or "kinky".  Black girls with straight hair were the "pretty" ones. If you looked in catalogues or magazines or TV you did not see people who looked like me much less had hair like mine so I would say that there was some pressure to somehow get and maintain that good hair however you could. I was fortunate to have a mother who told her daughters that all hair was "good hair."  but that did not mean that I didn't struggle with my hair over the years along with many other black women.  My hair is very coarse and thick. When you have hair like that it definitely doesn't want to lie flat. My mom used to use a pressing comb to straighten it. If I sweated or it got wet of course it reverted back to its natural state. Back in the 70's when I was in college I sported a pretty gigantic Afro and also had cornrows at one point. I have also used permanents and other chemical relaxers to straighten my hair.  Would I have ever used glue on my hair -  absolutely not, nor would most people but given the desire of some to fit in it is not all that surprising.  What I love about now is that most black women are entirely comfortable with however they choose to wear their hair and that you can see all types in the media now.  

I agree with you. I was objecting to the fact that she said she objected to it being discussed by the Post. To me, her way of bringing it up invited an argument. On the other hand, I love that you ignored that and just paid attention to the positive aspect.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Heart I know Black hair can be a complex subject. And it's not anybody's job to educate me. You were generous to share. Such a lot of work! I love seeing a diversity of hairstyles in the media, and in real life, too. More forms of beauty can only be a good thing.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr