Honored Contributor

Re: Gorilla Dancing in Pool! SO funny!

@tansy I agree, zoos helped create my love for animals. I'm opposed to them for the reasons other people are. But I see the benefits as far as appreciating them and seeing them when we otherwise couldn't. It's a double edged sword.

I love this gorilla dancing. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

IMO, it's very sad that any of our wild animals are subject to trophy hunting, poaching or having their habitats destroyed for 'building', thereby displacing them into situations too close to humans and their animals, where they are destroyed for doing nothing but their normal instinct to survive, hunting on what's available to them.

For that one reason, I can accept zoos, because before long, you won't be able to see any of our wild animals in nature, mankind will see to that at the rate it's going.

We'll be left with nothing but zoos, books and the internet for info on them by then.

So sad, IMO.

But if I can watch one, even in a zoo rather than his natural environment, having a good time.... I'm all for it!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom

The SF zoo has a huge area for the few gorillas they have.  Like many of the animals there, part of the program is used to encourage mating for animals in danger of extinction.  Also, saving DNA for the same reason.

They have also taken in animals that had been abused elsewhere.

There are also really huge reserves in Northern CA that take in retired animals, like with a circus, that may have been abuse victims.  They are pampered and live out the remainder of their lives in peace there.

Honored Contributor

I don't want to change the subject, but... a statement.  I've always loved horses, I took lessons as a kid and worked in a stable with them. 

Parts of our country have horses in the wild, beautiful animals, running free.

There is now consideration to have them legally slaughtered for any old reason.  I am praying that doesn't happen.

Respected Contributor

Enjoyed watching the gorilla having fun.   Best part to me was after I watched that video, I clicked on the dance videos listed on side.  Had a great time watching those expert jive, honky tonk rock and rollers dancers - great fun for  thils dance loving rock and roller back in my younger days.  (Still love it, body doesn't always cooperate tho)!  If you love dancing, click on the videos after the gorilla.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw that on Facebook, thats hyserical.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

I would like to know the opinion of an animal behaviorist who specializes in Gorillas and I'm not talking about the people who feed and clean out his pen everyday.  

Respected Contributor

@truffle, here is an excerpt cut from 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2017/06/24/is-the-gorilla-spinning-in-a-kiddie-pool-...:

". . . But is Zola actually having a blast or is he exhibiting anxious behavior resulting from the stress of living in captivity?

Tara Stoinski, president and CEO, and chief scientific officer of The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International, said her first reaction to video was to “laugh and smile.”

“Gorillas often like to play in water or even use as a mirror to look at themselves,” she said. “The Dallas Zoo animal care staff have given Zola a great source of entertainment and he is having a wonderful time showing the very silly side of gorillas.”

Stoinski said gorillas living in zoos need complex social lives with lots of interaction to remain healthy. She said it was obvious that Zola was enjoying himself in the pool — and not engaging in a stressful, repetitive behavior — because stressed gorillas are often withdrawn, quiet and uninterested in interacting with their environment.

“It is the exact opposite of what you see in this video,” she said. . . . "

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

It was funny but kind of scary because he was so good at it lol Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom, @Cakers3

As a huge animal advocate, NO, I don't necessarily agree with zoos and I hate circuses, but since they are unfortunately in existence, I'm at least glad that this gorilla seems to be having a great time in his current environment.

At least he hasn't fallen prey to poachers/hunters, etc..

Tar and feather me for that if it makes you feel better.

@KingstonsMom My thoughts exactly.  And thank you for your remembrance of Harambe.  I thought of him last night when I saw the video.

Keepin' it real.