Esteemed Contributor

Re: Googled My Name -- Discovered This

[ Edited ]

Yes, I discovered somerhing similar by accident. It was sometime after my retirement,  when I ran across a document I had developed for use by our hospital and  outside agencies wishing to affiliate with us.  

The same document was being used by one of the educational institutions that formerly sent students for training by our hospital personnel.  It was "word for word," as Whoopi Goldberg said in the movie "Ghost."

Since the document was never copywrited, I suppose one could argue that why reinvent the wheel ... when one already existed.  I  found out the  person who plagiarised it was, in fact, the program director of one of the colleges sending students to us.

Honored Contributor

If I Google my name with my my professional certifications, I get my Linked

In page and info regarding some professional presentations I made years ago.

Honored Contributor

@pjoy wrote:

I'm a journalist for the federal government. If it's written for the government, they own it. Can't tell you how many times a publicatioin has picked up one of my stories and ran it almost word for word without my byline. 

Not just the federal government.  That is true for many, if not most employers.  If it was written for an employer, the employer owns it.

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

Yes, I discoveredsomerhingg similar by accident. It was sometime after my retirement,  when I ran across a document I had developed for use by our hospital and  outside agencies wishing to affiliate with us.  

The same document was being used by one of the educational institutions that formerly sent students for training by our hospital personnel.  It was "word for word," asWhoopii Goldberg said in the movie "Ghost."

Since the document was nevercopywritedd, I suppose one could argue that why reinvent the wheel ... when one already existed.  I  found out the  person who plagiarised it was, in fact, the program director of one of the colleges sending students to us.

@SoX 

Just the pits, right?

One of my Executive Directors often presented and published my training tools, study guides, syllabi, lesson plans, and lectures as her own - under her name.

When I left I’m sure the quality of her work went ⬇️😈 Hee Hee 

Two straight to the Yankees!  Baseball ⚾️ 🏟 😒 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I have experienced something similar. Although I'm not on social media (my employer is), my name is "out there." But one of the most interesting things is a cookbook I wrote and edited with others years ago. It's out of print, but still shows up! Go figure!  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

Its interesting about being a Govt employee and not getting royalties.  My whole career was with the Govt and several decades of that was at China Lake Research, Development and Testing.  Many weapons, etc were developed there including the technology that became glow sticks.  I have often wondered if the inventor/s ever got any royalties.

Trusted Contributor

My understanding is that if you produced the work as part of your job and were paid a salary by your employe, you do not own the work; they do. Doesn't matter if it was the government or a private employer. Or even if you were paid as a contractor. When you accept payment for work, you have in essence sold the work product.

In addition, copyright laws generally allow the use of short extracts without permission.

Honored Contributor

My gosh........

There is an old saying, something about  The 'Webs' we weave.......everything is out there, all around the world.

WWW =  World Wide 'Web'  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@golding76    I have not had your experience but all I can say is there is no privacy anymore.  You type your name in on the computer and too much information is given.  I personally do not like it.  I do not participate in any social websites like Facebook, Twitter, etc.  I personally do not want my pesonal life all over the Internet.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe 

Well ... we finally won one!