Honored Contributor

Re: Goodwill throws Donations in Trash!

Unusable clothes are sold by the pound to  be recycled. They make things out of the rags. I am not sure what, but, they don't send things like that to the dump, in the place I worked

I know this, because, I worked in the marking room

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

After reading this ,what to do with good stuff we have? I know there are people that need clothes, and  do not have enough money to buy.

Many churches take donations of clothing. Also, some animal rescue organizations take donations of clothing, household items, etc. to sell at their fund-raising yard sales. Some humane societies have "stores" that take, sort and sell clothing, furniture, appliances, decorative items, etc. Volunteers do all the work.

Respected Contributor

I really don't believe that's a standard procedure. Every center is different, I'm sure.

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

True! Some people bring all kinds of junk to donate there and get a receipt for a tax deduction.

@Silver Lining   This is so true.   Like donating things that do not work or clothes dirty or torn or stained.....some people have no moral ethics and are self serving.  I hope these people are the minority and not the majority.  

Super Contributor

A few years ago I had brought some stuff - this was September.  And their lazy worker didn't want to deal with it so he said because there was some Christmas stuff in there "they couldn't use it bring it back in December".  It was pretty new stuff and saleable.  I do not donate anything broken.  I was taken back and switced to Salvation Army.  I did email their office and they said the person should not have not taken the donations that it wasn't try they didn't take Christmas stuff in September.  

This story solidifies what I think about Goodwill.  Last year they had commercials begging for donations - probably because people got fed up and switch to other charities.

Respected Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

This is crazy!   I started last year to donate to Salvation Army.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woman-watched-goodwill-employee-toss-donations-into-dumpster-2202227...

My husband was on the community board of directors of the local Salvation Army.

They were told that the SA sells pallets of clothing as "rags" 

Walking by a SA warehouse in NYC, we saw huge bundles of clothing that looked like bales of cotten on shipping docks. 

Super Contributor

I was sitting waiting for friends once and was watching a Goodwill Donation trailer.  I guess some guy's shift ended.  I saw him walking to his car with bags of stuff including a decent looking guitar.

Honored Contributor

@Tukey wrote:

I was sitting waiting for friends once and was watching a Goodwill Donation trailer.  I guess some guy's shift ended.  I saw him walking to his car with bags of stuff including a decent looking guitar.

@Tukey, but you can't just assume that this was something nefarious. There are other possibilities.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@comedy clubber wrote:

News???  To whom???  Goodwill has been a scam for 25 years.  Selling used jeans to third world country patrons ,  building new buildings while abandoning the old.  Give to a reputable company, never GW!!!

@comedy clubber, what's wrong with selling used jeans to third world countries, if this even occurs?

What's inherently wrong with building new buildings? Why assume the worst?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@FlowerBear wrote:

This is crazy!   I started last year to donate to Salvation Army.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woman-watched-goodwill-employee-toss-donations-into-dumpster-2202227...

My husband was on the community board of directors of the local Salvation Army.

They were told that the SA sells pallets of clothing as "rags" 

Walking by a SA warehouse in NYC, we saw huge bundles of clothing that looked like bales of cotten on shipping docks. 

That's right. Many charitable organizations receive donations of clothing that is not in condition to be worn. The Salvation Army (I love them), Goodwill, and others bundle them and they eventually go to processing plants. The slush (for lack of the correct word) is used to make paper, roofing felt and many other things.