Honored Contributor

Re: Goodwill throws Donations in Trash!

@SeaMaiden 

We don't itemize on our taxes to use the tax write off, so it's worthless to me.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

True! Some people bring all kinds of junk to donate there and get a receipt for a tax deduction.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No one said this was old junk.  Why is everyone jumping to that conclusion?  This stuff may have been very nice stuff the woman donated.  I'm guessing if the issue was addressed and disciplinary action taken against the employee, it wasn't unusable garbage or GW would have said that.

If GW does receive unsellable junk, why not decline the donation?  Are they required to take everything?

As for Salvation Army, it was revealed that they have very high overhead costs and do some very creative accounting to cover up that fact.    

Honored Contributor

I donate to Goodwill because they have a trailer nearby.  Salvation Army will pick up furniture but you have to have enough for them to make the trip.  Both Goodwill and the Salvation Army have stores where they sell the usable items in good condition.  If what is donated is considred trash they throw it out.  

Honored Contributor

I knew a person who worked at the DAV and they told me that a lot of the clothes they get go into landfills. they are just so overwhelmed with volume of clothes that they are forced to do that. No one wants it so it goes into a landfill...sad.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

These places do a lot of good. I volunteered at a Thrift Store for years ,and was on the Board of Directors, and also the Bldg Chair

Please don't feel things aren't used. We only threw out junk.  We fed families ,and paid medical bills, rent, and  helped with utilities, with the money we made

We dressed those in dire need, for free

We put thousands back into our local economy, each year

so true. @cherry  i worked at a big Goodwill center in Boston one summer in college. i think i learned more there that summer than i did the previous year in college.  the overriding lesson: people at all levels of ability (who are capable) value and want work, independence and self-sufficiency.  Goodwill gives an entry point to some who might not otherwise have been considered for hire.  Goodwill trains people to sort donations, rehabilitate donations, sell donations, run their stores, etc   these people didn't want a hand-out but wanted to feel like they were doing worthwhile work, learning something,  advancing and contributing to society.  the dignity of work- so important to the human soul.

Trusted Contributor

I stopped donating to Goodwill several years ago due to their unsavory practices. I donate to AmVets, Salvation Army, Purple Hearts, Vietnam Vets, and to the animal rescue groups.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I knew a person who worked at the DAV and they told me that a lot of the clothes they get go into landfills. they are just so overwhelmed with volume of clothes that they are forced to do that. No one wants it so it goes into a landfill...sad.

@SilleeMee On the other hand, what's sad is that so many people can't manage what is in their own houses.  I donate when I have to get space in my closet because I buy too much.  We are given stuff we don't want, inherit stuff, have to clean out other people's houses.

How on earth do we expect charities to manage it without throwing a lot of it away?  And at what cost to them do they do this?  

Honored Contributor

After reading this ,what to do with good stuff we have? I know there are people that need clothes, and  do not have enough money to buy.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Gorgf 

there are lots of organizations that recycle used clothing that is not wearable.

i had posted a list on another thread about a month or so ago.

will have to see if i can find that list again.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein