Respected Contributor

Re: Goodell Speaks Today at 3:00 p.m. ET

Public outrage may be filtering downward to the college level. On another thread I brought up how athletes are told they are special and can get away with anything from HS on and brought up Jameis Winston, QB of Florida State University. In the past he's been accused of rape, two shoplifting incidents and recently he stood up on top of a table and yelled a pretty sickening profane comment during lunch and his punishment was to be to sit out for half of this weeks game.

I see today that his punishment has been increased - he will now have to sit out the whole game (hmmm, just one day after the Goodell spectacle and public opinion on that). Now if we, as a society could only keep up the outrage it may begin to make a difference. I'd personally like to see Anheuser Busch pull totally out of sponsorship of NFL - all these little companies don't hit the profit margin bottom line enough but Pepsi and Anheuser would make a profound statement cuz they are worth huge money and that's the only thing that seems to matter to the NFL.

Valued Contributor

The NFL gets trashier by the moment - from the heavily tattooed thugs to the sleazy cheerleader outfits. The players no longer play for the game - they play for the money and then want to sue when they get seriously hurt. Goooodell has let bad behavior take place for years and years with no accountability and then had the nerve to not ALLOW Rush Limbaugh buy a team due to political reasons. Disgusting!!!

Respected Contributor

On 9/20/2014 BeanCounter17 said:

Public outrage may be filtering downward to the college level. On another thread I brought up how athletes are told they are special and can get away with anything from HS on and brought up Jameis Winston, QB of Florida State University. In the past he's been accused of rape, two shoplifting incidents and recently he stood up on top of a table and yelled a pretty sickening profane comment during lunch and his punishment was to be to sit out for half of this weeks game.

I see today that his punishment has been increased - he will now have to sit out the whole game (hmmm, just one day after the Goodell spectacle and public opinion on that). Now if we, as a society could only keep up the outrage it may begin to make a difference. I'd personally like to see Anheuser Busch pull totally out of sponsorship of NFL - all these little companies don't hit the profit margin bottom line enough but Pepsi and Anheuser would make a profound statement cuz they are worth huge money and that's the only thing that seems to matter to the NFL.

And this little darling won the Heisman Trophy last year.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

Super Contributor

per Snopes . . . FALSE.

Honored Contributor

On 9/20/2014 Qwackertoo said:

per Snopes . . . FALSE.

Thanks...I just got this on FB from my friend. She is a cardiologist & graduated #1 in medical school - an Ivy League school.

I guess we BOTH got fooled!

Just checked at Snopes...it came from a conservative site!

Super Contributor

Yep, Snopes says it is "making the rounds" in emails these days!

Super Contributor

On 9/20/2014 Qwackertoo said:

Yep, Snopes says it is "making the rounds" in emails these days!

The Capitol Blue "report'??? That goes back to 1999, and has been changed so many times in terms of which organizations were being compared to Congress.

That "report" has long been retracted - this email pops up along with so many others where people fail to do their homework.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

And just another tidbit: The "report" did come from an R site but the report did not say one party or the other had performed these actions, so it really is not an issue if a D or R wrote it, imo.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/19/2014 terrier3 said:

Why couldn't he just say "We will have a zero tolerance policy in the NFL. If you are arrested - no matter on WHAT, you are immediately suspended without pay until the issue is resolved. If you are convicted (with no jail sentence), you are suspended for a year."

Instead he acted all mealy mouthed...saying every state has different laws.

That's true - but the NFL isn't the judicial system. They are a sports league that makes a LOT of money from sponsors - by being America's Sport. They need to keep the reputation of the league strong - suspension w/o pay may make a player think first before he hauls off & hits a woman, drives drunk, or does anything else illegal. The teams have deals with limo services and hire off duty cops to "babysit" the players. They have every advantage and every incentive NOT to get arrested,

It took...what?...three weeks for you to get that?

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/19/2014 terrier3 said:
On 9/19/2014 brii said:

He only came out to speak because, I bet, more sponsors were willing to walk.

He doesn't seem very sincere - LOL

P&G pulled out today of a big NFL sponsorship they were planning for next month re: Breast Cancer Awareness.

So who suffers from that? The NFL...I guess. The cause? Probably.

Keepin' it real.