Honored Contributor

Re: Goodbye to Rosanne

[ Edited ]

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@Laura14ABC probably heard from their sponsors.  No one will buy their products if they back a racist and they probably bailed.  I wouldn't buy any product that continued to sponsor Rosanne.  

@puttypiesmom  I hear you completely but I can make up my own adult mind about what to buy and bring into my home not ABC which is what really irks me here. 

This type of knee jerk corporate behavior, in my opinion, is just going to wipe out the medium and drive people further away from network tv. 

Hint:  Netflix, Amazon and Hulu are already kicking butt.  Big reason why:  No sponsors to babysit.      

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@saltysails wrote:

I hope another network picks it up.  There is so little to watch on TV.

It will absolutely be picked up and back on by the Fall @saltysails.  Probably by the network that is doing Tim Allen's Last Man Standing that ABC just cancelled.  Rosanne is not going anywhere but our living rooms.

That vile woman won't be in MY living room.

Nor will she be in mine since I do not subscribe to cable @QueenDanceALot  and only watch classic movies in my collection if my nose is not in a book.  Expressions or exact meaning of a word it just depends on the persons take of something.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I would like to think ABC cancelled the show because they were appalled by her comments, the cynic in me thinks it's because they would have lost sponsors left and right. I don't agree that some had their careers given a boost by the show, Laurie Metcalf has been very busy, John Goodman gets a lot of offers, and Sara Gilbert still has The Talk to fall back on.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@Laura14ABC probably heard from their sponsors.  No one will buy their products if they back a racist and they probably bailed.  I wouldn't buy any product that continued to sponsor Rosanne.  

@puttypiesmom  I hear you completely but I can make up my own adult mind about what to buy and bring into my home not ABC which is what really irks me here. 

This type of knee jerk corporate behavior, in my opinion, is just going to wipe out the medium and drive people further away from network tv. 

Hint:  Netflix, Amazon and Hulu are already kicking butt.  Big reason why:  No sponsors to babysit.      

It will be interesting to see if the show is picked up by one of the services you mentioned.

Esteemed Contributor

@JavaQueen wrote:

Here's the thing:

No matter what your poltiical stripe or personal views, show professionalism and don't blow it up for your cast mates.

Oh. Wait. She's done this before.  

Frankly, why should anyone who was once morbidly obese and had to undergo reduction surgery call anyone out on looks?(I know it was a racial insult. Racism is lookism.) They had taken Twitter away from her. She should have never gotten it back.

I thought that maybe more years had brought a little maturity and wisdom. Guess not. Or there's a psychological issue.

She also tweeted a conspiracy theory tweet attacking a once presidential daughter and her husband. Said Jarrett, born in Iran of American parents,  was the offspring of the Muslim Brotherhood and Planet of the Apes. 

Respected Contributor

to saltysails:  You are correct in saying there is 'so little to watch on tv''...totally agree !  But Rosanne would never be a consideration for me to watch - back then - or even in their reboot.   I was puzzled as to why they started the show up again - so glad it's gone !!!!!  We need another show type, such as 'THE MIDDLE'.  My favorite...and now it's gone.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

It will be interesting to see if the show is picked up by one of the services you mentioned.

Come on Netflix!  

Esteemed Contributor

They said long before this remark,(a week or so ago)  that they were not bringing her back. 

They are just taking advantage of her bad mouth and using it to their advantage.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Teacups wrote:
Fox is not defending her. They have said it's awful.

I looked for them defending her after reading that post but could not find it @Teacups.  If reporting something is defending than all the networks down to the high school newspapers are guilty of a great deal.

@beckyb1012

@Teacups

heard on tv......

“I don’t understand it to be anything other than free speech,” said Outnumbered Overtime host Harris Faulkner. “…It is extremely offensive but it is just that.

Strategist Noelle Nikpour agreed. “She is a comedian,” she said. “She does have a very wicked, twisted sense of humor. Everybody knows her to be a little raunchy and a little rough.”

Noelle left out the third "r" word.

Surprise!

Honored Contributor

Ms tyrion2 makes an excellent point that should not be forgotten in this fiasco, and I have copied it below:

"Racism transcends politics. Racial hatred is not a left or right issue. To think so suggests all conservatives are racists. That's a heinous way of thinking."

Thank you for drawing attention to this point.