Trusted Contributor

Re: Good thoughts for retail workers and other holiday workers

My daughter logged 26,082 steps yesterday and has to work both TG and Black Friday.

Valued Contributor

When I worked in retail, I actually enjoyed working Black Friday.  It was a "good tired" for me and for the most part, customers were in really good moods.  The one Black Friday I remember a flash mob surrounded our mall looking over the balcony.  

Remember how popular they were?  Well, anyway, this mob broke out in Christmas carols.  It was so touching and moving.  You could hear a pin drop as customers and employees walked out to the atrium in awe.  I'm getting chills writing about it.  It was so much fun!

Respected Contributor

What a nice post! I am alone  with no family,but spend many holidays as Friendsgiving. My GFs husband works part time at Wal-Mart and has to work on Thanksgiving so we are gathering together on Friday.  She is not a baker so I do desserts. 

I liked working Holidays as made time and a half. Three years in Assisted Living when laid off in 2008. Since I was alone it actually helped me get through the day. I find myself volunteering more now retired ,at this time of year as not as stressed out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RetRN wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

spouse and I have done both

it's part of the job 

Of course it is part of the job, I however choose to acknowledge the sacrifice they make and send good thoughts. I was an RN for 40 years and know quite well about this topic. 

nm

Honored Contributor

If you were to work on TG,or Christamas at one of the hospitals you got a free dinner at  those hospitals. Also people that were not Christian would volunteer to work on Christmas.

Respected Contributor

I'm a flight attendant.   I've also spent many years away from home during all the holidays and big family events.  It goes with the job until you get enough seniority to be off.  My mother and I now make  it our Thanksgiving tradition to go out shopping on Thanksgiving.   We love it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was in military recreation (working in Germany, Okinawa and Korea) I worked every Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, New Years Day, Fourth of July plus I had to get up the middle of night (time difference) make 80 cup hottle of coffee, turn on t.v., make snacks every time there was a bowl game (plus Army/Navy game).  I did this for twelve years and usually enjoyed it (usually).  I never even got to phone my parents (overseas calls were an arm and a leg).  I did have the satisfaction of making the special times a little special for all the military personnel.  In Okinawa I took over twenty young adult females to midnight mass and one Christmas in Korea I took about thirty young people plus Base Commander, to carol the off base bars (and bar girls). After we finished carolling the bar owner (and bar girls) thanked us with "I am a Christian".   After I returned to USA I at first had a difficult time with the holidays (I thought they had to be perfect-- now I know "good enough" is "good enough").