Respected Contributor

Re: Good places to live??? any suggestions?

@151949

I also have friends who moved to Sun City, South Carolina - and they are what I consider young - late 40's.  I also have older friends who moved there from Savannah.  They love it.  One of the older couples doesn't golf, but she said there is so much more to do for them.  

I will say, it's much safer than Savannah. 

Honored Contributor

@Sammijo10 wrote:

I'm a life long New York State resident.  I've lived in Buffalo, Long Island, the Hudson Valley (where I was born and lived until I was 17), Albany and now Saratoga Springs.  Spent a lot of time in the Finger Lakes area and Southern Tier. I was lucky enough to retire at 55, DH is still working.  

We've talked about whether or not we would be snowbirds or move somewhere south when he does retire and my parents are no longer nearby.  

Despite the New York taxes - which would seem exhorbitant to most of you except Californians - we would live nowhere else. If the national average cost of living is say at a value of 100, ours would be about 127.  (Got that from Sperling's website!) 

We've visited my step son in SoCal and the obsession with the awful traffic is worse than any northeasterners whining about cold and snow. The restrictions in Cal would drive me nuts. We've visited relatives in parts of North and South Carolina and Florida and I don't think I could handle the intense humidity.  In fact, parents of a friend of mine came back from Florida after several years because the heat and humidity was too much for them.

When you're retired and it's snowing, you just don't go anywhere.  It's not the same as having to trudge through the snow to work. Within 24 hours - sometimes 12 - the snow is removed.  (One reason we have higher taxes.)   I love to cross country ski and snowshoe.  The instances of crippling snow are fewer than the instances of being trapped inside because the heat index could be life threatening.  No earthquakes, no tornadoes, very few hurricane type storms - they hit Southern New York beach areas and the city as they come up the coast, they end up being thunderstorms by the time they reach here.

My current area of NY is the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains.  The largest state park in the nation.  There are 46 high peaks to climb and lots of lakes to play in. If you're craving the big city, we are three hours of less from Boston, Montreal and NYC.  Our downtown is bustling with stellar restaurants and boutiques.  We have two national hall of fame museums (the National Museum of Dance and the National Thoroughbred Racing Hall of Fame). 

There's a small liberal arts college in town which keeps the area young.  I much prefer living with a mix of age groups.  Our neighborhood has about 20 families and 18 have school age children.  I love hearing them play in the street and ride their bikes to each other's houses. 

We have a performing arts amphitheatre that brings in major music groups during the summer as well as Opera, the NYC Ballet, and the Philadelphia Orchestra.  The health care services in the area are top notch with a local hospital and several urgent care centers nearby.

New York gets a really bad rap, but for me, I'll think we're staying put. 

Oh, and I agree with the poster about the Fingerlakes!  Beautiful spot, best kept secret we have in this state!  

Same, @Sammijo10.  BTW, I Heart NY.  8)

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, Feline!  I really think when folks think of NY, they can only picture the city. Upstate is beautiful, IMHO, and the cold winters really aren't as bad as they are made out to be.  

Oh, the overnight low here last night was 46!  We had all the windows open and it was beautiful!  It's just about 75 now, low humidity, a light breeze and gorgeous.  Orlando Florida is 91 right now and according to Weather.com, it 'feels like 101".  Okee dokee!  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I agree about NY. People that don't know the area only imagine NYC. New York is a huge state and outside of the major cities can be quite rural. There are beautiful areas as mentioned before. 

We are retired and don't plan on moving anywhere. The only drawback for us are taxes.

Honored Contributor

@Sammijo10 wrote:

Thanks, Feline!  I really think when folks think of NY, they can only picture the city. Upstate is beautiful, IMHO, and the cold winters really aren't as bad as they are made out to be.  

Oh, the overnight low here last night was 46!  We had all the windows open and it was beautiful!  It's just about 75 now, low humidity, a light breeze and gorgeous.  Orlando Florida is 91 right now and according to Weather.com, it 'feels like 101".  Okee dokee!  

Exactly what I would do, @Sammijo10, and have done many many times.  Fantastic sleeping weather!  I love all of nature but medically can't tolerate heat - humidity even more so. 

Bet autumn (my favorite) is absolute perfection where you are!  I grew up with four distinct seasons and would miss seeing every one.

ITA with all of your points above, BTW.  8)

Honored Contributor

My nephew as I type is moving from Wisconsin to New Hampshire.....He is going to go to Lasw School, and his fiance will work there.....He loves the East Coast and has been all over the East Coast......His pr3eference would have been Massachusetts, but too high cost of living for them for now.....

I too love the East Coast, and I hope he will love it.....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It would depend on what kind of weather and scenery you like.

But I'm gonna toss out Prescott, Arizona to you.

It's in north central Arizona.  Small-ish town (growing.)  There are a few towns around it as well...Prescott Valley,Dewey-Mayer, Chino Valley and Paulden.

There is a range of housing prices between those towns.  Prescott is the most expensive, but then it has the cutest town and it is in the pines.

It is high desert with Ponderosa pines.  The area is dotted with lakes. 

The weather is good.  It is callled the Mile High City because it's elevation is 5300 ft. (approx.)

It's a dry climate.  Winters are mild.  You may have a few inches of snow, but it usually melts off by mid day.  Summers are not as warm as Phoenix..highs reach into the 80s and sometimes 90s.

In about an hour or so north, you can be in Sedona or Flagstaff.  The Grand Canyon is about 1 1/2 hours away.

In about an hour and a half south, you can be in Phoenix, with all the amenities that a big city has to offer.

I think it takes about 3 hours to drive to Las Vegas, six hours to California and the beaches.

It's quite a nice place to live.  I lived there for a long time, as I grew up in Arizona.

It's growing a lot with retirees.  This can have both positive and negative impacts.  

If you haven't visited, you should visit there.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in Las Vegas and it's supposed to hit 108 today but on my patio right now, it's 117, that's a western exposure, full sun, 5:45 pm.  Wouldn't y'all luv to sit out in that?   yuk.

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Wow I did not know Savannah was that crime ridden.  How disappointing.  Im glad we did not move there when we were deciding where to live.

I had no idea either. Try the sister town, Charleston, SC...lovely and so much to offer. The tourists and humidity in the summer are the downside.

Crime is not a problem as far as I know.

Respected Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

It would depend on what kind of weather and scenery you like.

But I'm gonna toss out Prescott, Arizona to you.

It's in north central Arizona.  Small-ish town (growing.)  There are a few towns around it as well...Prescott Valley,Dewey-Mayer, Chino Valley and Paulden.

There is a range of housing prices between those towns.  Prescott is the most expensive, but then it has the cutest town and it is in the pines.

It is high desert with Ponderosa pines.  The area is dotted with lakes. 

The weather is good.  It is callled the Mile High City because it's elevation is 5300 ft. (approx.)

It's a dry climate.  Winters are mild.  You may have a few inches of snow, but it usually melts off by mid day.  Summers are not as warm as Phoenix..highs reach into the 80s and sometimes 90s.

In about an hour or so north, you can be in Sedona or Flagstaff.  The Grand Canyon is about 1 1/2 hours away.

In about an hour and a half south, you can be in Phoenix, with all the amenities that a big city has to offer.

I think it takes about 3 hours to drive to Las Vegas, six hours to California and the beaches.

It's quite a nice place to live.  I lived there for a long time, as I grew up in Arizona.

It's growing a lot with retirees.  This can have both positive and negative impacts.  

If you haven't visited, you should visit there.

@Marienkaefer2  Hi, go look at page 2 of this thread...There are several of us formely from Prescott area, (lived or visited)..We were just there a couple weekends ago.

It is growing like crazy, yes good & bad...thx for adding your comments on this lovely city...Smiley Happy