Honored Contributor

Re: Good places to live??? any suggestions?

I think MI and MN are beautiful places with lots to do and friendly people. If you are afraid of cold and snow I think TN, NC, and SC sound nice. I would never retire to AZ, FL, or TX. It is such a personal choice I think you just need to do plenty of research before making a decision. If you like big cities Chicago has enough to do to keep one busy for years. 

Super Contributor

Oh my gosh!  That is about 15 minutes from me.  Smalll world.  My son lives on Long Island.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Prescott, Arizona is a little more than an hour (I'm thinking it might be close to 90 miles-- not sure) north of Phoenix.  It is far enough north in Arizona to experience four seasons, but gently!

Beautiful setting in the mountains. There are pines, dells and massive Thumb Butte overlooking town.  It has a historic past with a charming courthouse square.  Has a rather "arty" feel, but still with the traditional Western friendliness and common sense.  Restaurants, galleries, educational and shopping amenities are good.

Retirees are attracted there, but also students, artists, and others seeking an idyllic setting in a beautiful part of the country.

Prescott doesn't have the awful heat?  I always though all of Arizona roasts in the summer (well now they should be drowning in the monsoons)  Pleasse let me know.  If it's true it's wonder all of Arizonia population is banging the door down it Prescott.

Regular Contributor

@Oznell
Prescott Arizona is what I was going to say as well. We were going to move there a few years back but decided to move closer to my mom down in the Phoenix area. We’re going to get to Prescott sometime in our life. But you’re right the prices of homes have skyrocketed since the last time we were in the market. But that’s OK I want to live there anyway. Four seasons, snow but not usually enough to have to shovel, Nice summer monsoon rains and only about 80 miles away from Phoenix if you need to go there. When we go there for a visit I feel like we’re driving into a mini San Diego but just without the ocean and all the people. Today I am sad that I’m not in Prescott Arizona😟
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

No, luckily, @songbird, the north central part of Arizona at least, can be quite temperate.  Prescott, up through Flagstaff has four season weather.  Flagstaff is even known for its skiing!  (I think the ski area is called the Snowbowl?)

Prescott has rolling hills around and cooling pines and rocks-- plenty of southern Arizonans are drawn to it for that reason, I think...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

No, luckily, @songbird, the north central part of Arizona at least, can be quite temperate.  Prescott, up through Flagstaff has four season weather.  Flagstaff is even known for its skiing!  (I think the ski area is called the Snowbowl?)

Prescott has rolling hills around and cooling pines and rocks-- plenty of southern Arizonans are drawn to it for that reason, I think...

I had visited Phoenix during the SUMMER!!!!!!!!  I have never gotten over the 112F heat.  I thought all of Arizona was like that.  I know Phoenix will not be habitable in the coming century because of the global warming.  You can run from an air conditioned house to an air continued car to a air conditioned store.....but only so far.  they even warned me about touching door knobs.....

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird:  Arizona has several different climate zones; Flagstaff, Prescott, Show Low have four seasons.  In fact Flaggstaff and Show Low have ski resorts.  I am amazed by the number of people who assume Arizona is all 110 degrees most of the year.  Many years (not this year) we get several snow storms of thirty inches plus and we don't usually get much monsoon until early July (into September).  All in all our weather is better than anyplace else I've lived (D.C., Southern CA, Europe, Asia). No typhoons, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes etc.  Our only real danger is forest fires (can be hundreds of thousands of acres).

Honored Contributor

The mountains of West Virginia would welcome you with open arms!   It is beautiful here, clean air, and we enjoy 4 distinct seasons.   I live in the southern end of the state, and am most familiar with the area around I-77, between the East River Mountain tunnel and our capitol city of Charleston.   I have never been to an area of the state I didn’t like, but for anyone looking to relocate, I suggest sticking to the areas closest to I-77.   Summerville, WV is a beautiful area, away from the interstate, and has the draw of beautiful Lake Stephens.   

The bigger hospitals in this area are Charleston Area Medical Center in Charleston, Ruby Memorial in Morgantown, and United Hospital Centers in Clarksburg and Bridgeport, WV.    

This area does have snow and cold temperatures during the winter, but snowfall varies greatly across the state.   Counties like Greenbrier, Pocahontas, Nicholas, Clay and Webster counties see some of the heaviest snowfall, and 

upper parts of the state that border Kentucky, Ohio and Pennsylvania often get stronger weather patterns from the lake effect storms.   

The mountains are definitely worth a trip to check us out!   

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@songbird:  Arizona has several different climate zones; Flagstaff, Prescott, Show Low have four seasons.  In fact Flaggstaff and Show Low have ski resorts.  I am amazed by the number of people who assume Arizona is all 110 degrees most of the year.  Many years (not this year) we get several snow storms of thirty inches plus and we don't usually get much monsoon until early July (into September).  All in all our weather is better than anyplace else I've lived (D.C., Southern CA, Europe, Amsia). No typhoons, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes etc.  Our only real danger is forest fires (can be hundreds of thousands of acres).

Well the only thing I have to say after being in Phoenix for over three weeks in summer is....well you have to have rocks in your heads to spend the summer there. I can not imagine anyone living there before air conditioning.  No wonder it took them such a long time to be a state!  But it's gorgeous!!!!  Scenery is to die for I'm always stuck in terrible places in the summer.  Another heat wave stepping outside of the Dallas airport in summer.  That heat wave has a powerful kick!

Valued Contributor

Have no earthly what site my neighbor used, but he put in what he was looking for in the area he was moving and it gave him 10 choices.   Our town was choice 3 and trust me we are VERY small (as in we have 2 stop lights), yet we are close to very large cities by interstates.   Wish I knew what he site he used, but I know he was looking for no crime, home square footage for least amount of $$$, and weather.   He and his wife have been delighted in their choice of this area as they did not sell their Florida home for 2 years to ensure they would like it here.   

Hope you can google and find a site to help you make a wise decision on a great place to move.