Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

If asymptomatic spread isn't real and happening, then I'd love to know how the worst spread is happening in nursing homes and other care facilities.

With no visitors allowed, temperature and other symptom checks of employees, and routine testing of employees and residents (if they're doing what they're supposed to be doing). Employees are lying and going to work when they have symptoms and spreading it? Residents have symptoms and they're not being isolated and distanced? Staff isn't wearing proper PPE? All of the above?

I've seen many posts here against the WHO, because of what someone said about them. But now they are to be believed? 

This virus was only known about a few months ago. Even though now it could have possibly existed in China last October if you go by the story about symptoms that people were Googling there. I know some people think we should know everything about it or something nefarious is going on, but that's just not how science works regarding novel viruses.

Look up what happened with HIV, if you don't remember.

Someone very close to me has a father in a nursing home who tested positive for Covid-19.  He had no symptoms and never developed any.  He had to be in quarantine for 14 days. 

3 employees tested positive and that is how residents got it.  I'm not sure if the employees were sick though or if they were asymptomatic.  I also don't know how many others in the nursing home tested positive.   

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:
That has not been the experience in N Jersey. We lead in Covid-19 testing nationally. Our statistics do not support the WHO “theory”. My own friends were asymptomatic or very mild that passed in a day. I’ve lost 4 friends who did not exhibit symptoms until they were in the final stages. There is a pre clinical or prodromal period in most communicable diseases where they are contagious. How would you determine those factors? They in fact are silent carriers. The answer social distancing and masks in the presence of an out of control outbreak with no therapy, no cure, no vaccine and a high death toll. A new virus highly virulent and highly contagious that targets high risk citizens. They had it right. It doesn’t matter about the “rarity”. They are playing games with words. Children were supposed to be almost immune from the disease but here in NJ, we are seeing PIMS. Most parents would rush their kids to a pediatrician if sick but they don’t display severe symptoms at first or the same as adults but they do spread the disease. We’ve had two young teachers die in our town under 30 from seemingly well children. I find the WHO statement dangerous and no agency tracks disease globally better than the CDC. Countries that contained the virus early and quicker were even more austere with measures. Didn’t the WHO say masks weren’t necessary but retracted that statement a couple of weeks ago and told us to wear masks? It’s so simple to do and I don’t really see it to be an imposition to possibly save my life and that of others

@Stray, I'm not sure about WHO but the CDC initially said masks shouldn't be worn and then came out and said they were necessary to protect others so they should be worn. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Good news re: Covid-19

[ Edited ]

While actual asymptomatic spread is less than previously thought, presymptomatic spread is still a big concern.  You can be very contagious a few days (1-5 I believe) prior to getting symptoms.

So, some people might have a false sense security hearing just one blurb from the WHO report.

As far as everything being "under control", some state's numbers are rising and it's a concern that we will see more of that as more and more things "open up".  

Appears to me that even the less than perfect social distancing (as not everyone adhered to it) had the effect that it was supposed to hav, although not as positive as it could have been with total compliances.  Now that we will less of it and many who won't be wearing masks we'll just have to see what happens in a month.  And later.

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

Before they did say that a person could be contageous several days before showing symptoms (those that are positive), didn't they?

But I guess this is different than just being totally asymptomatic and never getting sick but having the virus.

But like someone else said, then how did George Stephanopoulis wife get it? He apparently had no symptoms.

Maybe they are assuming she got it from him, when in fact, it was the opposite, and he tested positive from staying at home with her.  How was it determined that he had it first, and why was he tested if he was asymptomatic?  Just speculating as to a possible explanation.

@GrailSeeker @on the bay, I'm pretty sure Allie had Covid before George did.  She was very ill and he was taking care of her.  I remember the morning they announced she had it and he was broadcasting from home.  He said he was going in her room to take her temp., take her food, etc.  Robin in particular was telling him to be very careful.    

Then it was announced that he had it but he didn't have it as bad as she did.  He continued to work from home, on the show, the entire time.

As an aside, ex QVC host Katie McGee's husband had it.  He stayed up in the bedroom the entire time.  Katie went up and put food outside the door and left then he would open the door and get his food.  She wouldn't even go in the bedroom to get clothing.  She literally bought clothes.  She also sent their dog to someone else's home for the duration he was ill.       

Super Contributor

Re: Good news re: Covid-19

[ Edited ]

As far as nursing home infections go, there are so many factors that make them hotbeds of infection.

My college-nursing student niece got a summer job a few weeks ago at a "great" nursing home/assisted living facility. Without CNA training she was told she would just assist the more able-bodied with laundry, help with eating, dressing, etc.  Because of Covid this facility was closed to all visitors. First day went fine but on day two she was informed that they were understaffed so she was now in charge of 50 bedridden patients. She was expected to attend to all their needs plus do 25 loads of laundry.  She begged her supervisor for help as she had no training but because of a shortage of workers she got no help.  She was told to change the diaper of a patient with C-diff (highly contagious) but when asked was told there was no protective gear! She quit by day four. 

The conditions she saw at this "5 star" nursing home shook her, and she will file a complaint with the state.  But this is a good example of why the virus spreads so fast in nursing homes. You have at-risk patients packed into rooms along with grossly overworked minimum-wage employees who have no protocols to help them.  They are on their own. It's a perfect storm too because with no visitors allowed there is no accountability.

Trusted Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Also, sounds like some just want to interpret/hear what justifies not socila dista cing or wearing masks and going back to  crowds, etc, !!  Someone can be contageous 4-5 days before showing symptoms so precautions are still necessary at this point.

But this is what the WHO is disagreeing about.  They are saying that if no symptoms are shown, a person is not contagious; so no, they are not contagious for 4 to 5 days beforehand. 

Trusted Contributor
@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

If asymptomatic spread isn't real and happening, then I'd love to know how the worst spread is happening in nursing homes and other care facilities.

With no visitors allowed, temperature and other symptom checks of employees, and routine testing of employees and residents (if they're doing what they're supposed to be doing). Employees are lying and going to work when they have symptoms and spreading it? Residents have symptoms and they're not being isolated and distanced? Staff isn't wearing proper PPE? All of the above?

I have read that 50% of cases in NYC were traced to nursing homes, so I would be tempted to say yes to all the questions, in your first paragraph.

I don't believe it was ever claimed that the nursing home cases were due to asymptomatic spread. 

Trusted Contributor

@Stray wrote:
They do spread the disease. Before your symptoms are evident, there is a prodromal phase where you are contagious. This is in ALL contagious disease. This virus is particularly contagious as no human had it before. You will not know the person had coronavirus so they are silent carriers. Look at the death toll. Do you really think people would go near a sick person during an outbreak?; the majority of contact was with asymptomatic people who unknowingly had the disease. You also have to look at societal factors. People with mild illness would go to work because many would be unpaid if they don’t work. So business had to shut down. Transit in NYC is a Petri dish. They did the right thing as painful as it was/is.

Again, this is exactly what the WHO says did not happen, and that it was not spread by asymptomatic or very mild symptoms.  Remember "viral load"?  You are not going to get sufficient viral load from someone who is asymptomatic, according to this latest WHO press briefing. 

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I've seen many posts here against the WHO, because of what someone said about them. But now they are to be believed? 

This virus was only known about a few months ago. Even though now it could have possibly existed in China last October if you go by the story about symptoms that people were Googling there. I know some people think we should know everything about it or something nefarious is going on, but that's just not how science works regarding novel viruses.

Look up what happened with HIV, if you don't remember.

Someone very close to me has a father in a nursing home who tested positive for Covid-19.  He had no symptoms and never developed any.  He had to be in quarantine for 14 days. 

3 employees tested positive and that is how residents got it.  I'm not sure if the employees were sick though or if they were asymptomatic.  I also don't know how many others in the nursing home tested positive.   

I also read that nursing home employees who had tested positive early on were allowed to work with other positive covid-19 patients.  Again, did the employees bring it in, or did they catch it at work?

Honored Contributor
Today’s NYT

A top expert at the World Health Organization on Tuesday walked back her earlier assertion that transmission of the coronavirus by people who do not have symptoms is “very rare.”

Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, who made the original comment at a W.H.O. briefing on Monday, said that it was based on just two or three studies and that it was a “misunderstanding” to say asymptomatic transmission is rare globally.

“I was just responding to a question, I wasn’t stating a policy of W.H.O. or anything like that,” she said.

Dr. Van Kerkhove said that the estimates of transmission from people without symptoms come primarily from models, which may not provide an accurate representation. “That’s a big open question, and that remains an open question,” she said.

Scientists had sharply criticized the W.H.O. for creating confusion on the issue, given the far-ranging public policy implications. Governments around the world have recommended face masks and social distancing measures because of the risk of asymptomatic transmission.

A range of scientists said Dr. Van Kerkhove’s comments did not reflect the current scientific research.

“All of the best evidence suggests that people without symptoms can and do readily spread SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19,” scientists at the Harvard Global Health Institute said in a statement on Tuesday.

“Communicating preliminary data about key aspects of the coronavirus without much context can have tremendous negative impact on how the public and policymakers respond to the pandemic.”