Esteemed Contributor

Good news from FedEx, bad news for USPS

Excerpt from WSJ article:

FedEx Corp. will deliver packages seven days a week starting next year, adding an extra operating day to accommodate America’s online shopping habits.

The delivery giant also plans to bring to customers’ doorsteps many of the packages it currently drops at local Post Offices. The shift will seek to lower costs by building density along FedEx ground routes, while also shifting some 2 million packages daily out of the U.S. Postal Service's network.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Super Contributor

Re: Good news from FedEx, bad news for USPS

Excellent news.  Every single time I have had a delivery problem it's been with USPS.  In my old subdivision the postal person didn't even try to deliver to the right address..I got other people's mail at least 3 days a week. I spoke with the USPS supervisor, visited the post office to talk in person, sent USPS a complaint..it would change for a short time and then go back to chaos.  I keep waiting for the day when I get one of the great postal service employees..I am certain they are out there!

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp  Thanks for such good news.  My mail delivery improved greatly after I felt it necessary to contact my congressman, but that should not have been necessary.  Maybe losing some business will wake up someone at USPS and mail delivery will greatly improve.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

Excerpt from WSJ article:

FedEx Corp. will deliver packages seven days a week starting next year, adding an extra operating day to accommodate America’s online shopping habits.

The delivery giant also plans to bring to customers’ doorsteps many of the packages it currently drops at local Post Offices. The shift will seek to lower costs by building density along FedEx ground routes, while also shifting some 2 million packages daily out of the U.S. Postal Service's network.

HSN and the Q use UPS...wish they would deliver instead of USPS! Always takes another day or two...!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@srgtdj, I can 100% guarantee there are great postal service employees.  I adore my regular carrier. She goes above and beyond.

I am wondering how much rates will go up across the board with this FedEx change.  Traditionally all the services increase prices about 5% at the start of the year.  It will be interesting to see how much the FedEx rate will increase.

It will also be interesting to see if UPS follows suit, if not with 7 day delivery but at least stopping transfers to USPS.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I have good luck with USPS, not always with Fed Ex, I guess It just depends.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@srgtdjThey do exist, but like any service, it's the luck of the draw you get. 

I don't think there's any perfect service, so what I hope for are several that work well most of the time and that we ordinary consumers can afford.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rarely get packages delivered by FedEx, so unless retailers switch or UPS and USPS follow suit, this won't affect me very much.  

Respected Contributor

I Hate FedEx when they have a package for me they always deliver to my neighbor never to my door. My neighbor always sees that I get it but it is frustrating. I get excellent service from UPS but now all goes through the worthless Post Office.

Honored Contributor

i prefer USPS, since UPS mostly doesn't deliver to me until between 7:30 and 8:00PM.