Honored Contributor

Good news. New Israeli study. Just one dose of Pfizer is 85% effective.

[ Edited ]

published in The Lancet medical journal. 

In a new study from Israel the Pfizer vaccine was 85% effective with just one dose.
In a new study published in The Lancet, 7000 healthcare workers had an 85% reduction in COVID symptoms after only one shot of Pfizer's vaccine within 15-28 days after the vaccination. Overall infections were also measured, including ASYMPTOMATIC infections and these were reduced by 75%. The research was conducted in Israel. 

Of 620,000 that received the second dose only 608 contracted the virus. Of those that contracted the virus, 21 were hospitalized and 7 had severe symptoms. The persons had moderate symptoms and 11 had light symptoms. 

Note that this study was done using healthcare workers and there were few participants 65 and over. 

Also note that my reason for stating that this is good news is not because I want persons to only get one dose, or to delay the CDC and Pfizer's currently recommended second dose. I say this because this information can make those that have only received their first dose feel a little more relaxed while waiting their second dose during these very stressful times.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Good news. New Israeli study. Just one dose of Pfizer is 85% effective.

[ Edited ]

Both Pfizer & the CDC still recommend 2 doses. With all the variants out there optimal protection is needed. There is no conclusive evidence that one vaccine won't begin to ware off much sooner than 2.

I understand the need to vaccinate as many people as possible.But if the second doses are skipped or delayed I think it will have a boomerang effect. 

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Both Pfizer & the CDC still recommend 2 doses. With all the variants out there optimal protection is needed. There is no conclusive evidence that one vaccine won't begin to ware off much sooner than 2.

I understand the need to vaccinate as many people as possible.But if the second doses are skipped or delayed I think it will have a boomerang effect. 

@NicksmomESQ @Pfizer has been working with Israel to get real world data on the vaccine's effects. Possibly expect a future (not too soon) update from Pfizer and the FDA.*  To make any official recommendation, Pfizer would have to submit a request for an update on the Emergency Use Authorization along with the data from Israel and then the FDA would have decide. Right now, Pfizer can't suggest anything other than what was requested of the FDA based on their original data. We'll have to wait and see if there are update requests but it is good to know that people are probably getting good protection after only one shot. There were no deaths among the Israeli healthcare workers that had just one shot, so that's reassuring news. 

*Note too that the Israeli study did not include many that were 65 and over.  

Honored Contributor

I heard this on the news this morning ,possible if one vaccine is enough ,that would mean more people can get the vaccine.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

85% effective isn't good enough.

Spoiler

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@NicksmomESQ @Pfizer has been working with Israel to get real world data on the vaccine's effects. Possibly expect a future (not too soon) update from Pfizer and the FDA.*  To make any official recommendation, Pfizer would have to submit a request for an update on the Emergency Use Authorization along with the data from Israel and then the FDA would have decide. Right now, Pfizer can't suggest anything other than what was requested of the FDA based on their original data. We'll have to wait and see if there are update requests but it is good to know that people are probably getting good protection after only one shot. There were no deaths among the Israeli healthcare workers that had just one shot, so that's reassuring news. 

*Note too that the Israeli study did not include many that were 65 and over.  

@Mindy D  It would be wonderful if one dose could do it. The CDC & Dr Fauci said today that the Israeli study was inconclusive because it did not include people in the most vulnerable groups.It was only tested among healthcare workers.A lot more research is needed.

95% protection is better than 85%. Taking one dose may give people a false sense of security. According  to Dr. Fauci this could end up spreading the virus.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

85% effective isn't good enough.

Spoiler

I wouldn't bother with it for 85% effectiveness.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

There are so many conflicting articles now.  That is what messes with your head.  

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

Proper safety measures are close to 100% effective at preventing infection without a vaccine. 

Respected Contributor

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine is only 66% protective. I've read you can't really compare the numbers because their criteria wasn't the same, but I didn't really understand the distinction.