Honored Contributor

Good News for Echo & Dot Owners

[ Edited ]

Putting this here to reach a wider audience than just Electronics, and because so many QVC customers bought theirs through QVC.

Previously, if you wanted Alexa to do something new, you had to look through pages of her "Skills" on Amazon, then go into the software/app for your device and "enable the skill." 

Not any more. Now, as long as you know what the skill is titled, i.e. Magic 8 Ball, you can ask Alexa directly by voice, whether you have previously "enabled" the skill or not. "Alexa, ask Magic 8 Ball if ...." She comes on & says Magic 8 Ball here, ask away. Or "Alexa, open Pizza Hut" or whatever.

You still need to know the name of the app but that can be searched on Amazon a couple of ways, I'm sure people know. But you don't need to do any "set-up" any more. 

I'll be using it more because of this.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Good News for Echo & Dot Owners

I have an Alexa and several Dots.  I've given Dots to just about everyone I know, except my daughter and her family.  He says, "They work both ways, I won't have one".  Whatever!

All they'd hear at my house is me yelling at my cat Bill!

I use it for weather and spelling mostly.  I love gadgets but don't use them to their full advantage, but it suits me fine.

Thanks for taking the time to tell us what you learned.  It was very kind of you.

Honored Contributor

I listen to music by way of Pandora on my Echo most of my waking hours. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have no idea why, but my Alexa apps do not function. I used the one on my iPad to set Alexa up and it worked fine. I then also installed the app on my iPhone. But the last time I wanted to enable more skills, on both the iPad and the phone, the app would never open to fully function - I just got 10-15 min of white screen before I gave up. I didn't want to delete & reinstall because it would delete what I'd already set up. Now, with this new functionality, I won't need to worry about it.

ETA: So of course, NOW it's working. 

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde, thank you for posting this!  @Kachina624, how does that work?  Do you just ask Alexa to access Pandora, then select your song? 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Alexa, start "Tricky Genie."

Have fun! Good for adults and kids over 8-9.

QVC Customer Care

@Moonchilde

Really appreciate this update....I of course purchased mine here at the Q. Use mine everyday in many expanding ways!

Beth QVC

Esteemed Contributor

@susan kay wrote:

@Moonchilde, thank you for posting this!  @Kachina624, how does that work?  Do you just ask Alexa to access Pandora, then select your song? 

I usually say, "Alexa, play ____ on Pandora".  

Honored Contributor

Glad to be of service, @Beth-QVC ;-)

I get the "What's New With Alexa" emails every week - now I can "play" with lots more than just the time & the weather without any muss or fuss.

Esteemed Contributor

@susan kay wrote:

@susan kay- you do have the Pandora app?