Trusted Contributor

Re: Good News - U S Korean-American Prisoners Released

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@MomCat wrote:

@ValentinaBon wrote:

Just because we celebrate their release doesn't mean all is forgiven with NK or that we now fully trust them. I'm not sure why some people think that is what we are saying.

I'm also not sure why being happy for these men somehow means we have forgotten or don't care about what happened to Otto. 

Sheesh.

Exactly why I am more and more picky where I get my news.  I'm sick of all the negative coverage when good things happen.  I can't imagine forgetting what NK did to that young man.  Most of us have enough sense to figure out what's going on.    

@MomCat, ITA. We should all be very careful that our preferred media gives us as much balanced and factual news as possible.

@suzyQ3

I think ”Preferred media” should be multiple sources.

No one source is always right and most have a bias. (Including with what stories are chosen, what emphasis and what sources used) 

Far too much being presented in the media is opinion, far too little factual news. 

(How I am sick of hour after hour on multiple channels of “news” being panel after panel of opinions, with either little fact to back up or no time to present) 

Seek out original sources and complete quotes. All too often, (across the spectrum) quotes are taken out of context.  How can we know or understand issues without seeing what really was said and the context it was in.

Research sources. Someone might not be the expert, they or, the media source, claims they are - plus, sometimes people can just be wrong about something.

(I think we often tend to give a pass when we agree with a view and believe the people expressing it whether we have any proof or not. Or we think we know something just because it has been repeated so many times.) 

Be Skeptical. Be Very Skeptical. Even with what You Think you know! 

Honored Contributor

Very well stated @trenet, that is why I like to watch CSPAN's airing and reairing of live events presenting those being discussed on 'news' channels.

Honored Contributor

There are so many positive possibilities if  North and South Korea could get together....economic and social worldwide benefits. 

'The sky is the limit'.   Tourism, import/exports, and possible natural resources that can be traded. 

Wishing these released prisoners (and future released prisoners) the very best. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s.  This is a huge step in the right direction, imo.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@trenet wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@MomCat wrote:

@ValentinaBon wrote:

Just because we celebrate their release doesn't mean all is forgiven with NK or that we now fully trust them. I'm not sure why some people think that is what we are saying.

I'm also not sure why being happy for these men somehow means we have forgotten or don't care about what happened to Otto. 

Sheesh.

Exactly why I am more and more picky where I get my news.  I'm sick of all the negative coverage when good things happen.  I can't imagine forgetting what NK did to that young man.  Most of us have enough sense to figure out what's going on.    

@MomCat, ITA. We should all be very careful that our preferred media gives us as much balanced and factual news as possible.

@suzyQ3

I think ”Preferred media” should be multiple sources.

No one source is always right and most have a bias. (Including with what stories are chosen, what emphasis and what sources used) 

Far too much being presented in the media is opinion, far too little factual news. 

(How I am sick of hour after hour on multiple channels of “news” being panel after panel of opinions, with either little fact to back up or no time to present) 

Seek out original sources and complete quotes. All too often, (across the spectrum) quotes are taken out of context.  How can we know or understand issues without seeing what really was said and the context it was in.

Research sources. Someone might not be the expert, they or, the media source, claims they are - plus, sometimes people can just be wrong about something.

(I think we often tend to give a pass when we agree with a view and believe the people expressing it whether we have any proof or not. Or we think we know something just because it has been repeated so many times.) 

Be Skeptical. Be Very Skeptical. Even with what You Think you know! 

@trenet, I sort of agree with you but with one big personal caveat: I choose not to think of the media overall as being out to trick us or manipulate us. I thank my lucky stars every day that we have a free press, and I am disgusted by those who demean or even threaten them when it when it doesn't serve their purpose, those who seem to just want the media to echo them, and those who are more comfortable in a bubble consisting of of only one source of "news."

I am comfortable with the sources I prefer. They may not be perfect, but then, there really is no such thing.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

p.s.  This is a huge step in the right direction, imo.

Well, we did have 11 detainees released from 2008-2016. It didn't seem to help relations at all. I hope this time is different, but I have serious doubts about the integrity of those involved. I have a feeling this is all a show.

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

President Trump, first lady Melania and Vice President Mike Pence walked with the freed Americans after they landed at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland

Gee, my post was removed.  Oh well, you all saw it.

That said....what a nice picture! 

Honored Contributor

O/T apologies - @bathina REALLY good to see you!

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

Yes.....WELCOME BACK BATHINA!Heart

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

Thank you! Likewise! Heart