Honored Contributor

Re: Good News - U S Korean-American Prisoners Released

@goldensrbest wrote:

I am glad for them and their families, but question   the treatment of otto,and them might have more to do with  them being from korean descent.

@goldensrbest  I have to say, that's what I was thinking as well.  I am holding my breath on celebrating.  I am so glad these men are back on beautiful US soil.  But I don't trust North Korea for one second.  Not one second.  They want something badly, and I'm afraid of what that price may be. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When asked How does it feel to be home? Kim Dong-Chul

spoke through an interpreter and said four words, “It’s like

a dream.”  He went on to say, “We are very, very happy.”

Vice President Pence told a story about flying the newly

released American prisoners back from North Korea.

“It’s heartbreaking to think of it. In fact, the Secretary of

State told me that when the plane refueled in Anchorage,

one of the detainees asked to go outside the plane

because he hadn’t seen daylight in a very long time.”

“But as they came down the stairs, the joy on their faces,

their appreciation for the people of the United States, for

their countrymen, for the President and, frankly, their

gratitude to God was deeply moving. The first words that

they said to us were ‘Thank you’ and then ‘Thank you for

your prayers.'” 

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

Not one mention about it in our local newspaper. I thought I could read a bit more about the men who were released. 

@drizzellla did you check your local paper's online version?  The only thing I can possibly think of is, perhaps in smaller cities, the newspapers might be sent to print earlier than larger/national papers, and it was printed before it happened.

The annoucement was made on May 9 at about 9AM. So I expected something in the May 10 edition of the paper. There was nothing on line. I just checked.

I read all about it in a UK paper.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

Not one mention about it in our local newspaper. I thought I could read a bit more about the men who were released. 

@drizzellla did you check your local paper's online version?  The only thing I can possibly think of is, perhaps in smaller cities, the newspapers might be sent to print earlier than larger/national papers, and it was printed before it happened.

The annoucement was made on May 9 at about 9AM. So I expected something in the May 10 edition of the paper. There was nothing on line. I just checked.

I read all about it in a UK paper.

Front page, top headline, on this morning’s Atlanta Journal. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

Just because we celebrate their release doesn't mean all is forgiven with NK or that we now fully trust them. I'm not sure why some people think that is what we are saying.

I'm also not sure why being happy for these men somehow means we have forgotten or don't care about what happened to Otto. 

Sheesh.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

@drizzellla, it's true that some of the news coverage-- but definitely not all-- has been strangely muted for such a momentous, historical event.

I have heard others complain as well that they would like to know more about these men.  Me too!  There need to be some splashy profiles done of them, but for now I'm sure they and their families are relishing their privacy after the ordeal. 

So far I found out that two of them have been teachers, and possibly the third as well.  I think at least one of them has some theological training or background. They are of Korean descent and wanted to help the Korean people...

I guess I'm the 'odd man out' when it comes to coverage of these brave mens' return from captivity.  I prefer a more subdued and respectful approach to media coverage of this event.  Perhaps an hour-long special celebrating their lives and return to their homeland?  

@deepwaterdotter  You are not alone.  I thought the hyper-staged for TV cameras was rather uncomfortable.  Even one of the gentlemen looked uncomortable and did not raise his arms and the V sign with his fingers.  I am so very glad they are home, but I wish it could have been done more respectfully for their sake and no one else's. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

President Trump, first lady Melania and Vice President Mike Pence walked with the freed Americans after they landed at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland

Tony Kim the gentleman that didn't make the "V sign " with

his fingers, shown raising his hands in this pic. They all

seem very comfortable and grateful to be back in the US.Heart

Honored Contributor

Yes, @MorningLover I have absolutely no doubt that they are all very grateful, of course they are.  That was not the essence of my statement.  I stand by my opinion that the whole campaign-like photo opportunity arrangment could have been done with much more grace and respectfullness for their initial homecoming.   

Respected Contributor

@ValentinaBon wrote:

Just because we celebrate their release doesn't mean all is forgiven with NK or that we now fully trust them. I'm not sure why some people think that is what we are saying.

I'm also not sure why being happy for these men somehow means we have forgotten or don't care about what happened to Otto. 

Sheesh.

Exactly why I am more and more picky where I get my news.  I'm sick of all the negative coverage when good things happen.  I can't imagine forgetting what NK did to that young man.  Most of us have enough sense to figure out what's going on.    

Honored Contributor

I don’t need to watch any news to realize North Korea 

is/was/always will be a threat. Like I said upthread,

we need to let this ‘age’ for a bit until congratulatory 

confetti drops.  It feels like a photo-op at this point.