Respected Contributor

Re: Golden State Killer arrested

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I read that DNA from an ancestry site, (probably Ancestry DNA) is what cracked the case. Not his, but DNA from a relative. So I assume the FBI got some sort of court order to get this DNA? 

What if the relative didn't allow anything else to be done with their DNA other than by Ancestry? That's what I checked when I sent mine in. There must be some sort of disclaimer for a criminal type of issue.

Wow. May he rot in hell, so glad he was caught.

I didn't know this....so that is how they found him!  I wonder if the police decided to get a court order to somehow run a check of these DNA type sites that are all the rage these days.  The police submit there DNA and the Ancestry or whoever it was gives them access to their customer base for a match.  That's awesome...I have no problems with that!  This monster running/iving free all these yrs is a nightmare....Praise GOD they caught him finally!!

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

@kivah wrote:

The police were tracking the murderer for several days - and got his dna - before arresting him. I don't understand why the police in the Sacramento area didn't realize that he was one of their own. There was a great sketch of him, age, height, etc. The profilers said he was in the military or law enforcement. I watched several shows about him on Discovery ID --- gave me the chills. I live in ventura county (southern Calif) - and the murderer committed several crimes here as well.

I never heard about the Golden State Killer until recently.

@kivah, I had never heard that term either.  I think I read earlier in one of LoriLori's posts that the author of the book is the one who coined that term.

Yes, it was Michelle McNamara in her crime blog and on the EAR/ONS message boards and the now-defunct A&E cold case message boards who put it together:  that the East Area Rapist and the Original Night Stalker and the Visalia Ransacker were the same guy.  So she named him the Golden State Killer.

There was a lot of pushack by LE on her for suggesting he was the Visalia Ransacker.  And lo and behlod, he was, she was right.

(BTW, @Wsmom, still incredulous that I was finishing up the book when they caught him...the EAR/ONS message board has contributed a lot and it was there that I read the source.  Someplace I knew to trust and knew who there to trust, and where I went with my questions raised by the book as I read the book.  It's an incredible community.)

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I read that DNA from an ancestry site, (probably Ancestry DNA) is what cracked the case. Not his, but DNA from a relative. So I assume the FBI got some sort of court order to get this DNA? 

What if the relative didn't allow anything else to be done with their DNA other than by Ancestry? That's what I checked when I sent mine in. There must be some sort of disclaimer for a criminal type of issue.

Wow. May he rot in hell, so glad he was caught.

I didn't know this....so that is how they found him!  I wonder if the police decided to get a court order to somehow run a check of these DNA type sites that are all the rage these days.  The police submit there DNA and the Ancestry or whoever it was gives them access to their customer base for a match.  That's awesome...I have no problems with that!  This monster running/iving free all these yrs is a nightmare....Praise GOD they caught him finally!!

From what I read in the book and elsewhere those sites do not cooperate with LE.  Their argument is people submitting their DNA for innocent reasons trust the sites and should not have that trust breeched.  (Personally I'm conflicted about that.  I would gladly agree to have my DNA put into CODIS to catch a felon, let alone one of the worst if not the worst ever)...

...But there are sites where you can choose to upload your DNA results to see if you find anyone you didn't know about.  I haven't verified this and I can't till later but (it's early, I haven't read a thing yet, I have actual things to do besides sit here rapt LOL) but I read yesterday that it was a relative, maybe not immediate family, whose DNA was on there.  

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

The police were tracking the murderer for several days - and got his dna - before arresting him. I don't understand why the police in the Sacramento area didn't realize that he was one of their own. There was a great sketch of him, age, height, etc. The profilers said he was in the military or law enforcement. I watched several shows about him on Discovery ID --- gave me the chills. I live in ventura county (southern Calif) - and the murderer committed several crimes here as well.

I never heard about the Golden State Killer until recently.

@kivahbecause only two or three people ever actually saw his face.  The guy committed almost 200 crimes (they've already added to the list) and he always wore a ski mask.  Only one guy got a full-on look at his face.  He got away from him, a sheriff chasing him in a car --

-- and he steals a bicylcle and pedals into a thick woods by a creek yet again he gets away, and hours later the dogs lose the scent which happened over and over.  This is how all his prowling paid off -- but after that person saw him full face without the mask, he began killing every victim.  He evolved with each crime.  It's so sick.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori  Will the arraignment be televised?

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori  Will the arraignment be televised?

Supposedly yes, on HLN...Reading this book (I read the eloquent essay at the end, so I just have 20 other pages to go), having him caught, it's really catching up to me.  Losing sleep.  Bundy and Dahmer messed around with corpses.  Everything this guy did was to living people and he did it for hours and he did it with the most incredible maximum cruelty imagineable.

I'm not sure I can watch the arraignment.  People noticed today I'm edgy and I admitted it's this book, this case, the things he's done, the horror of it all, and it comes down to one guy living in a nice surburb coming out of his house and...:shudder:

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, I read he is refusing to speak with his family.  Or with the cops.  Or with the attorney.   They have buckets of his DNA.  Coward won't talk.  

Frequent Contributor

@LoriLori I just wanted to let you know that I am enjoying all of your Information and insight on this case. I am waiting for my copy of this book and can't wait to start reading it. 

Honored Contributor

@AndiCat wrote:

@LoriLori I just wanted to let you know that I am enjoying all of your Information and insight on this case. I am waiting for my copy of this book and can't wait to start reading it. 

@AndiCat, thanks, I really appreciate the feedback.  TBH I am sorry I read the book now.  At first when they caught him the nightmares I'd been having reading it stopped.  But now that he's "real" -- I was out doing errands all day and looking at every guy with fear in my gut.  That's not healthy. 

Because what he did was so cruel I sort of wish I could go back and not read it.  I don't read any Patterson or those serial killer books, I can't handle it.  I think sharing it here and IRL has been a way of helping me.  Someitmes I think about what he did to people and my knees shake.

And I'm haunted by what he did to these people.  It's disgusting.  Michelle's writing is lovely and I just finished a section where she mentions Citrus Heights as a place he could live -- so don't believe LE as they give her no credit.  She was dogged.  She named him.

So if you think you can handle the cruelty AND having a face to it now and sick details trickling out, she's great and she's not getting the credit she deserves.  If you think you won't be able to shake it off, stay away.  JMO. 

Wouldn't want you to be shaky and edgy like I am now -- simply from knowing this twisted psycho sadist exists, and there's more where he came from, and there's victims smiling now not knowing what awaits them.  

If you think you can take it, she was really quite something and her lead investigator is all over HLN and he's smart and Paul Holes who is really the hero of the thing spent time with her and respected her and that's so important, the elected ones may be scoffing at her and some of the retired ones dismissed her but some, especially Holes (who looks like a movie star and knows more gory details than anyone alive about these crimes) respected her.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline, I read he is refusing to speak with his family.  Or with the cops.  Or with the attorney.   They have buckets of his DNA.  Coward won't talk.  

He can dish it out, but he can't take it. He's what we used to call a chicken s--t. I guess when it comes right down to it, we still do.

Regular murder mysteries kind of keep me awake so I don't think I'm going to be able to read this. I want to, but not at the risk of my health. I gotta sleep. Thanks for all your answers, lori. And isn't the irony in that he was caught while we are discussing it.  What are the odds?