Honored Contributor

Golden State Killer arrested

One of the worst most depraved paraphiliac sadistic serial rapists and killers of all time.

Originally known as the East Area Rapist.  Then the Original Night Stalker.  Then EAR/ONS. 

Until Patton Oswalt's late wife Michelle McNamara, a crime blogger, became determined to catch him and named him the Golden State Killer and her book "I'll Be Gone in the Dark" was published posthumously in February.

Last offended in 1986 (that LE knows about).  Has walked free all this time.

incessant stalking

at least 120 burglaries (some sadistic)

at least 45 rapes (horribly sadistic)

till someone ID's him and then he never left another victim alive;

at last 12 murdered (with horrific sadism and cruelty)

at least one dog killed, probably more

continued calling some of the rape victims, "Remember when we played?" and "I'm going to kill you" being two calls they have on tape

Fits the profile perfectly.  DNA matches reported.

Press conference noon California time. 

I hope Michelle is able to look down and know that LE is crediting her book as shining a broad national spotlight on the case.  Not the only one, but the biggest; the book "I'll Be Gone in the Dark" is recent and still on the bestseller list.

This is huge.  Oh, and the 

Honored Contributor

Re: Golden State Killer arrested

@LoriLorigreat news and thanks for posting.I have been watching the show.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@LoriLorigreat news and thanks for posting.I have been watching the show.

@dex, which show?  ID Discovery did one (nothing that wasn't in the book and a lot left out) and HLN did one (which I was actually watching when I read they've arrested him, also borrows heavily from her book)?

Recently HBO bought the rights to her book.  Patton Oswalt tweeted that filming on the HBO documentary started yesterday.  And yesterday they caught him.  That is an amazing coincidence.

Honored Contributor

I was watching HLN and I watched ID.I found it extremely frightening that someone could get away with all those murders.Who do you think this person is?

Respected Contributor

If this pans out, this will be the biggest unsolved case to be closed of all time. I've watched several documentaries about the killer, all frightening. It's going to be very interesting to see who the suspect is, and how he's been able to stay under the radar for all this time. I know there was some speculation that he may have moved out of the country, been put in jail for another crime, or died. 

Honored Contributor

I've been following this case for a long time. If he was indeed arrested, then I am relieved that they finally got him! 

Now, I want to see a picture of the *&^%$#!

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I was watching HLN and I watched ID.I found it extremely frightening that someone could get away with all those murders.Who do you think this person is?

I was watching part 4 of HLN when I read the news!  That one too is capitalizing on Michelle McNamara's book but that's fine -- in fact that's great because he's finally in custody!!

His name is Joseph James DeAngelo.  He is 72, which fits because he was in his early 20s when he began his horrific reign of terror.

For an unclear amount of time he was a police officer in Auburn, CA who was fired for shoplifting dog repellent and a hammer -- probably both of which he used in his crimes. 

Looking back some may think OMG we should have thought of him. 

But he got away over 165 times.  He escaped literally with sheriffs and cops chasing him. 

Knowing he was a cop helps explain his uncanny abilities to get away (plus all that stalking, how did he have time to do all that stalking and work?).

Honored Contributor

I was wondering if he moved to Canada.Itwas sometime early eighties that I received a hang up call where a man said,”I am going to kill you”.i was really upset but my DH said it was probably someone fooling around on the phone.Then one night I fell asleep on the couch and I woke up because I felt some brightness on my face.I saw a flashlight shining in the window....got up and turned on the lights but saw nothing.The next morning my DH discovered that someone had removed the screen from the window where I saw the light.

Super Contributor

It has been reported that the suspect was a former police officer who had been fired for shoplifting. California is working with Austrailia to see if a series of unsolved rape/murders could be linked. They occured after the EAR went dormant in California so perhaps he did move out of the United States.

I'm so happy for the victims and their families to finally have some type of resolution. It's been many years to carry the pain and uncertainty of these acts.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've been following this case for a long time. If he was indeed arrested, then I am relieved that they finally got him! 

Now, I want to see a picture of the *&^%$#!

That was then (yearbook?  not sure -- things are breaking so fast now all over the internet):

Image result for joseph james deangelo

And that was then:

Image result for joseph james deangelo

We'll soon be seeing what the *&%$#! looks like at 72.