Honored Contributor

Re: Gold medal winner from Russia in figure skating

@steviebwrote:

Last I heard, the Olympics were about the young athletes of the world. I would no more penalize these young athletes for the 'sins' of their government or the abuses of some of their colleagues than I would hope those representing our own country wold be penalized in similar circumstances. Russia was banned and some of those athletes who could demonstrate they were not part of the systematic doping scandal were allowed to compete as they should have been. If their winning constitutes a win for Russia, then so be it, but to have denied them their chance penalizes them for something over which they had no control. Ultimately, they had control over what they chose to do and they chose to skate clean and, in the process, turned in two of only a few truly riveting skating performances I saw. I was pulling for both of them because they were the best and they deserved their medals.

@stevieb, I'm still SMH at all this. Can you imagine if the U.S. athletes were banned en masse for the sins of a few or for political differences? All heck would break loose.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Sushismomwrote:

This is Alina without all the makeup:

3036248.jpg

Things about Alina.  She's part Tatar but does not speak the language.  She was nameless for a year after her birth.  She was finally named after Alina Kabaeva (Russia's best Rhythmic Gymnast. ever) Her father was a national level ice hockey player.  She has broken an arm and a leg during her skating career.  At one point, after an injury she wanted to quite skating.  Her coach talked her out of it.  She's first year high school.  

Trusted Contributor

@steviebwrote:

Most reports I've seen have the gold medal winner at 15, she'll be 16 in May, and the silver medalist at 18. Regardless, I don't see the point. They're performers. They don costumes. They wear makeup. So what. Nobody's fooling anybody that I can see. And regardless of their nationality, they consistently turned in hands down the the best performances and deserved the accolades and medals they received.

She fooled me, stevieb.  I saw her skate in the qualifying rounds in Russia on television and she wore that same diminutive ballerina costume and I thought what a talented young girl she was.  She certainly deserved the gold medal there.

I was shocked when I saw her in that tiger costume at the Olympics gala skating event.  This was not the young girl in the ballerina costume.  She was transformed into a lusty 16 year old.  What happened?  I think she knew what she was doing in order to get there and impress the judges and that is why I used Russia as the reason but perhaps it was just her manipulating the system.

Honored Contributor

@newname0wrote:

@steviebwrote:

Most reports I've seen have the gold medal winner at 15, she'll be 16 in May, and the silver medalist at 18. Regardless, I don't see the point. They're performers. They don costumes. They wear makeup. So what. Nobody's fooling anybody that I can see. And regardless of their nationality, they consistently turned in hands down the the best performances and deserved the accolades and medals they received.

She fooled me, stevieb.  I saw her skate in the qualifying rounds in Russia on television and she wore that same diminutive ballerina costume and I thought what a talented young girl she was.  She certainly deserved the gold medal there.

I was shocked when I saw her in that tiger costume at the Olympics gala skating event.  This was not the young girl in the ballerina costume.  She was transformed into a lusty 16 year old.  What happened?  I think she knew what she was doing in order to get there and impress the judges and that is why I used Russia as the reason but perhaps it was just her manipulating the system.

We'll have to agree to disagree @newname0. Skating in competition and a skating exhibition are two entirely different things, and she is a performer, as are they all. She wore serveral different costumes throughout the European Championships and the Olympics and while the outfits probably have some impact, she was judged on her skating and not so much on whether she exhibited her ballerina persona or a different one. The fact that she chose to wear a slinky outfit for that performance might or might not have anything at all to say about who she is... She impressed the judges and, I would add, the audience with her mastery of her sport...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I don't understand how a tiger, or cat, costume is considered lusty.  My daughter was a dancer and actress, and wore costumes like this quite often, at a much younger age.  

They did many renditions from the musical, ""Cats".