Honored Contributor

Re: Gold medal winner from Russia in figure skating

@Soonerwrote:

@QueenDanceALotwrote:

@suzyQ3wrote:

@Sooner, I'm not getting how your comments about the Olympics have anything to with this topic, unless you also believe she is a fake of some sort.

@suzyQ3

And i'm still trying to figure out how she was cheating or pulling the wool over our eyes.

RUSSIA cheated and got their athletes on the platforms.  THAT's what I'm saying.  They still came to the games and the Russian athletes won golds when they were supposedly banned.  Shameful.   

@Sooner

I don't necessarily think that the athletes should be penalized for what their government does.  

And I'm more concerned about other things that government is up to.

Respected Contributor

This is Alina without all the makeup:

3036248.jpg

Honored Contributor

Fashion magazines have made 15 year old girls look 25 for years.

Frequent Contributor

I don't care how old she is, she did the best in all and deserves gold medal.

And she did NOT use any doping or drugs, those athletes who used doping are banned.

I don't understand those angry people who seems very unhappy about their win Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@GSPgirlwrote:

@WenGirl42wrote:

Alina Zagitova is 18. This is a "cute little ballerina type outfit"?

IMG_0274.JPG

Why did The they keep saying 15 years old then on tv?  I thought both of the Russian medalists were 15?

They never said that.  

Honored Contributor

When they are not competing they are allowed to be artistic and dramatic.  I don't understand the OP at all.  The girl is 18; all along they said she is 18; what's the problem.  She was the best and she won.  Congratulations to her!!

Will someone please provide the OP with some smelling salts?

Honored Contributor

Most reports I've seen have the gold medal winner at 15, she'll be 16 in May, and the silver medalist at 18. Regardless, I don't see the point. They're performers. They don costumes. They wear makeup. So what. Nobody's fooling anybody that I can see. And regardless of their nationality, they consistently turned in hands down the the best performances and deserved the accolades and medals they received.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Soonerwrote:

@Irish1210wrote:

@newname0

"Russia fooled us again" how?

What am I missing here?

They cheat and are banned from sending athletes but get by with it anyway.  That's how they fool us.  But then that just means we are fools again doesn't it? 

The whole thing is a sham because so many of the athletes are just hired competitior for countries they don't live in.  

With this part, I can somewhat agree.

Honored Contributor

@newname0wrote:

@sunshine45wrote:

http://afpbb.ismcdn.jp/mwimgs/1/5/700x460/img_15f9f52adc62da163226c3f7d655fdba137893.jpg

Here she is again in her gala skating outfit looking definitely older.  Now if you can't see the contrast in this then I'm wrong in pointing it out.  I stand by my statement that the Russians did a number on us.

How? And this assumes even if a 'number was done', which I don't think it was, that the US and Russia were the only two participants and whatever 'number' was done, was done solely to the US... The US didn't even come close in women's figure skating... She's an attractive girl and if she appears, in this picture, mature for her age, what does that prove? Many young women here and elsewhere can appear older than they are. This entire discussion is bordering on the absurd.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last I heard, the Olympics were about the young athletes of the world. I would no more penalize these young athletes for the 'sins' of their government or the abuses of some of their colleagues than I would hope those representing our own country would be penalized in similar circumstances. Russia was banned and some of those athletes who could demonstrate they were not part of the systematic doping scandal were allowed to compete as they should have been. If their winning constitutes a win for Russia, then so be it, but to have denied them their chance penalizes them for something over which they had no control. Ultimately, they had control over what they chose to do and they chose to skate clean and, in the process, turned in two of only a few truly riveting skating performances I saw. I was pulling for both of them because they were the best and they deserved their medals.