Respected Contributor

Re: Gold lowest price in 5 years

@hyacinth003 wrote:

It is down from $1900 to $1100, the lowest since March, 2010.

Do you think prices of gold jewelry have reflected that prices are going down?

Hyacinth    Cat Surprised

I do not think anyone is lowering the prices of their gold jewelry to reflect the drop in the price of gold.  In many cases the gold items were purchased long ago, when the price was higher.

Super Contributor

Well, I just might go out and buy another piece.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not looking to buy jewelry.  I have what I use. 

However, and another hmmmmmmmm.  I am not suprised that gold has come down as it has traditionally, like some inflation, suspiciously come down when the presidential elections come around.  All involved claim some sort of credit for things. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

I would love to see more 18K jewelry. And does anyone remember Lambert Chang on ShopNBC and his 24K gold jewelry? That was a beautiful line that I wish evine would bring back. 

I still consider 14K chunky and ugly. I would look at it and think only a little more half is real gold.  I still don't understand the U.S. for having such a standard.   The UK is worse.  They have 18K but for the "others" (class system) it's 9K.  Would love to see gold gold.  18K, 21K, 22K and 24K  Yes.  The gold standard in Asia is still 24K.  In the middle east, 21K and in Europe 18k.  I remember a Greek line of gold (24K) that ShopNBC had,  I remember a necklace with a 24K gold rose flower

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

While prices do fluctuate, precious metals will never be worthless!  There is intrinsic value to the metal.  The dollar may become worthless, but gold, silver, platinum will always have value

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad that I sold my unwanted gold and some silver when they were at their highest a few years ago.

I'm not really in the market for new pieces, but you never know.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

The true value in the gold is the artistry. 24 carat gold is too flexible to wear. I have gorgeous 9 carat gold and coral antique earrings which are the most beautiful earrings I own. They are leagues away from anything new that I have seen.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
Platinum is less than gold now.
Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

It would be nice to see the gold and sterling shows on the Q like they used to have,

I wish they had more gem shows like before as well.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Trusted Contributor

I regret not selling my gold jewelry when the prices were high. I have stuff that I will never wear now.

I don't even feel safe wearing any gold jewelry anymore. I am in a totally different phase of life now.  I bought my gold jewlery when prices were $10-11 a gram. Not as investment, just because I love gold jewelry. As it gained value, I just could not get through the 'emotional attachment' hump, so now it just sits in a box (away from my jewelry box). So silly to be attached to "stuff".

I missed the boat. Again. As usual ha!

Although prices have come down, I also do not see them ever going back up to the inflated prices they got up to a few years ago, back when all the smart people sold theirs.