Respected Contributor

Gold Rush for Fuel starts with cow manure.

This is a lengthy article.  To see it all, go here:

http://www.startribune.com/bio-methane-from-cow-manure-could-be-a-new-gold-rush-on-the-farm/56731442...

The Louriston Dairy near Murdock, built and operated by Riverview LLP, is home to 9,500 cows, 40 times more than the average American dairy. The company is working on a project to convert manure at some of its dairies into renewable gas that can be sold for low-carbon credit in states like California and Oregon.

The back end of a cow generates 80 pounds each day of what Dennis Haubenschild, who owns 750 of them near Princeton, refers to as a “non-depletable renewable resource.”

Now, technology and policy are aligning for farmers to take advantage of all that manure in a surprising way — by turning it into gas that can fuel vehicles.

Haubenschild was among the first dairy farmers in the state to experiment with biogas production, and he uses manure-turned-gas to generate heat on his farm. But climate change policies in California and Oregon have created a different, national market for the gas that comes from livestock manure.

Farmers who capture the methane, a greenhouse gas more immediately potent than carbon dioxide, can earn lucrative low-carbon credits. Dairies across the country, especially large ones, are investigating the prospect. “It’s the new gold rush,” Haubenschild said.

Two large dairies in northwest Indiana are already certified for credits in California. Three Wisconsin dairies are producing biogas for transportation fuel and three more projects there are under construction, according to the Coalition for Renewable Natural Gas.

In Minnesota, Riverview LLP, the company with an archipelago of massive dairies near Morris, aims to become the state’s first dairy to produce gas from cow manure for transportation fuel and low-carbon credits.

Environmentalists and climate activists are watching the development with caution. While they are eager to see any industry reduce greenhouse gas emissions, some worry that government incentives prodding farmers to produce biomethane will reward only very large operations.

To see more of the article, check link posted above.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gold Rush for Fuel starts with cow manure.

Great, now they can move on to the f*rt problem.  

Honored Contributor

That was a BIG topic in the 1980's.  I remember it well.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's an interesting topic in light of another lengthy story I saw a few days ago about hundreds of dairy farmers going broke in Western states due to declining milk demand.

I recall the report said demand is high for other types of dairy products, such as butter, but keeping and maintaining thousands of dairy cows when domestic and export demand for milk falls is creating headaches for farmers and higher prices for consumers.

Milk has certainly gotten a litle pricier in recent months at my local grocery stores.

Honored Contributor

It has always been used by some as fuel. I think India uses it for cooking

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

It has always been used by some as fuel. I think India uses it for cooking

India uses cow poop for cooking?

Honored Contributor

Yes but it is all dried out @QueenDanceALot   Settlers on the prairie used to use it too, I have read..I guess they didn't have much wood

Honored Contributor

Dry dung fuel (or dry manure fuel) is animal feces that has been dried in order to be used as a fuel source. It is used in many countries. ... A disadvantage of using this kind of fuel is increased air pollution. In India, this kind of fuel source is known as "dung cakes".
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Dry_dung_fuel
Honored Contributor

Thanks, @cherry 

Now that you clarified I do believe I've read about this before.

Honored Contributor

There are 3 cow farms ,down by where i live, in the spring ,one puts this down in the corn fields, boy the smell,the other has ****** piled up, and then there is a horse farm,that has beautiful horses, more piles!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.