Esteemed Contributor

Re: Going For Drive During Stay At Home Order.

I figure the less time I'm on the road the less likely that I will be in an accident with injuries that will take valuable resources away from treating patients with the virus.

And hopefully keeping myself healthy so that when all the restrictions are lifted I can go back to going out just because I want to.

Until then, I'll just be going out for the necessities while I dream about the open road!

fullsizeoutput_575.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I think they are just trying to get people to stay at home, period.  Some of the medical experts are now predicting that PA might become a hot spot soon, so that might be the reason for their concern.

Trusted Contributor

People are not used to staying home.  They get cabin fever, and I think if they go for a ride and don't stop anywhere, except maybe to get gas, that is OK.  But, I do think authorities  are afraid of people traveling into other municipalities, getting out, and either spreading the virus or being exposed to the virus and then taking it back to an area that has a pretty low incidence of the outbreak.

I live close to a state line and a business in a town on the other side of the state line always seems to have tp, paper towels, etc.  But, I haven't gone there because I would be out of state and am afraid I might get stopped.  Both states involved are stay at home states.

So, I guess I'll just have to be content to keep doing laundry and cleaning/organizing my basement.  (UGH)

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I don't understand why we can't take a ride in our cars just get out of the house.  We aren't in contact with anybody so they can't infect us and we can't infect them.  This is getting ridiculous! I feel like I am in jail!

Valued Contributor

I had to go out yesterday for an injection. That appointment went very well, although it was different. I called when I arrived and the nurse came out. She stood a good distance from the car, we chatted for a minute (I've known her several years) and then she said we're going to do this super fast and I'm walking away. I pushed up my sleeve and that was that.

But the drive there and back? WOW. There is a LOT of distracted driving going on right now, and it felt a bit like the wild west out there. I saw a couple of Nascar drivers for sure, but the scariest were the people just not paying attention or driving about 20 mph. The worst happened when I was almost home and an older gentleman on a two lane road just drifted over from his lane into oncoming traffic. I was the oncoming traffic. He was driving so slow there was plenty of time to pull over out of his way and he held up  his hand for "sorry" when he looked up and realized he was facing me head on....but it scared the heck out of me. 

Too much on people's minds these days. I'm not sure I will be doing any more just "going for a drive" myself. I imagine though in a more rural area the experience would be a lot different. 

please be careful out there everyone Heart

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Valued Contributor

In California, they said on the news, that a man was arrested for surfing.  I don't know how close to anyone he would get out on the ocean.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Neither DD or I have gone tooling around just to get out.  We have said well when the weather is nice we can always go for a ride.  That's out now.  Again, you can go for a walk but not a drive. I don't get it, but I don'thave to.  It's the way it is.

If there was an end in sight for being trapped at home it wouldn't be bad. However, I don't see one in the near future.

What are you going to do but continue to follow the rules/guidelines.

Esteemed Contributor

The Mayor in the town next to us issued a curfew between 11 PM and 7 AM.

Only going back and forth to work is permitted or you get fined.

Honored Contributor

Many who say they are just riding around are actually going to or from visiting others.  Some still have the mindset that it is ok to visit friends and relatives any time they choose!  The more vehicles on the road - the chance of accidents and injuries and using gas results in extra trips to get gas.  The less anyone goes out the chance of the virus spreading lessens. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@customerqvc2 wrote:

In California, they said on the news, that a man was arrested for surfing.  I don't know how close to anyone he would get out on the ocean.

Maybe one surfer seems ok but others see that in spite of the shelter in place one is allowed and before you know it crowds appear on the beaches (that have shut down) one at a time.  Shelter in place means just that!