Esteemed Contributor

Going Away Party For Boss

[ Edited ]

Today was the last day that my supervisor worked in our office.

Two years ago, he moved down here with his family from Alaska, and now he's moving on to Idaho.

He was/is very well liked, so we had a potluck party for him.

There was so much food!

Fried chicken, roasted chicken, chips, deviled eggs, pasta salad, hot dogs, spinach dip, baked beans, deli meats and cheese, etc.

I knew that his favorite pie was pecan pie, because he told us a long time ago that it was, so I decided to make him his favorite pie.

I had never made pecan pie before, so I made it last night.

I followed the directions on the back of a bottle of Karo syrup.

When I took it out of the oven after baking for an hour and ten minutes, the filling was still liquid.

I was worried that the pie was ruined, but after cooling for two hours, and then putting in the fridge overnight, it set just fine.

Since I am one of the first people to arrive at the office, I put it in the office fridge when I got to work today, so that when the boss came in and put his iced tea in the fridge, he would see it, and be surprised.

He was surprised.

At the party, he tried a slice (after I told him that this was my very first time making pecan pie), and he told me that the pie was good.

Before the party ended, I asked him if I could give him a hug, and he said, "Yes.", so I gave him a hug, and told him that he would be missed, which he will.

There was cake, and the office signed a "Good-bye" card, and he was given a certificate that said, "World's Best Supervisor", which we all signed.

He is indeed the best supervisor that I have ever worked with, and I and the whole office will miss him dearly.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Going Away Party For Boss

Sounds like he got a great send off...and was well liked.  You are braver than I am.....making something for the first time for an event...glad it set up for you.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819  Hopefully, you tasted your own pie so you know what it taste like.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819. Have you ever considered starting a blog to post the ongoing daily events of your life?
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819  You described a wonderful party and great send off for an obviously prized supervisor.  You will remember this day as well as your supervisor.  So glad it was enjoyable in spite of losing a "good one".   

Honored Contributor

I have always used the pecan pie recipe on the Karo blue label bottle...but make sure if you use a deep dish pie pan you add baking time to it since it is thicker. I use the thinner standard size so I don’t have to guess...your boss must have been very grateful for your effort making his favorite! I usually blend everything but the pecans in the blender....then pour over the pecans in the pie crust. Now you have a new pie for the holidays!

Honored Contributor

That was a great send off, it's something he'll remember for a very long time.  He must be a great guy to be so love after just two years.   You're brave, making a pie for the very first time.  My first time recipes never come out quite right, I'd have had to make a practice pie first.   

Honored Contributor

I'll bet he will miss your kindness. It was so nice of you to make him that pie

Respected Contributor

I kind of like it when posters share the happy moments in their day. I'd rather read about a lovely send off for a great supervisor than another post hating on Antonella's hair color.