Honored Contributor

Re: Go Fund me and the Texas hairdresser, Shelley Luther

@LorelaiGilmore wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Just this morning our Gov. Abbott modified his Executive Order no confinement if the order is violated and as made it retroactively.  Our Lt. Gov. Patrick as personally  paid her $7,000.00 fine from his own wallet.

One more reason why I cannot stand Abbott or Patrick. 

I understand completely but I love them and their predecessors.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

Have we forgotten the Mayor of Chicago who went to the hair salon because "she's in the public eye and is on national television and she cares about her personal hygiene"?  Why doesn't someone throw her in jail?  Look at the ones mandating what we do while their families carry on as usual.  We are the little people "do what I say, not what I or my family does".

You have a point! I had forgotten about that.  Do as I say, not as I do, is exactly how this seems. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Or should be anyway.

Or how about Prime minister of Canada...took his family on a trip at Easter AFTER telling everyone else to shelter in place.  Or a former president golfing after his wife recorded a PSA to shelter in place, it goes on and on...you peasants do as I say not as I do.

Contributor

Evidently you don’t live in Texas. This woman is a hero to the businesses not deemed essential. In Texas you can go to Walmart etc, car wash, liquor store, gun stores etc...The county judges selected who got to stay open and who had to close. I personally think it has to do with sales tax receipts. I live in Texas and the whole thing is insane. I haven’t been inside a business in 10 weeks. To me the big box stores would be the most dangerous places to go. Shelly plans to take this to Federal Court. 

She was jailed for not kissing the ring of a corrupt judge. Read about him if you don’t believe me.

Respected Contributor

@LorelaiGilmore wrote:

She is horrible and should have been made to stay in jail. 

Holy wow! Your idea of horrible and mine are so much different. She wants to pay her own bills. She doesn't want someone to pay them for her or to take handouts from government. Besides that no one is forcing anyone to go to her salon. I honestly don't know how it's any different from people working at stores. They might get it and they might give it to someone. As well as anyone going to the store to buy their groceries. 

Honored Contributor

@lianne wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Good to know that I can break the law and do whatever I want, as long as I have a good excuse for it, and not face consequences. What a wonderful lesson for the children!

Rignt now it seems to be ok if you are in a state run by a favored governor.

That is detestible but it's the current admin's platform. Special treatment for states that agree only.

Interesting. If this is the Texas Supreme Court precedent now, I'm thinking shoplifters can easily use this "feeding my children" defense if they have children at home. And restaurant dine and dashers. Lots of petty crimes can be performed with impunity in Texas now.

I'd hate to be a shopkeeper and have to deal with all that. You catch a shoplifter and the police won't come because there would be no way to get a conviction. If it's bad now, I can see it getting much worse. There are always unintended consequences to any decision, so that's why it's important to have wise thoughtful people on the courts and in positiions of resonsibility.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Shoplifting is breaking "the Law."

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@Blueridge Liz wrote:

Evidently you don’t live in Texas. This woman is a hero to the businesses not deemed essential. In Texas you can go to Walmart etc, car wash, liquor store, gun stores etc...The county judges selected who got to stay open and who had to close. I personally think it has to do with sales tax receipts. I live in Texas and the whole thing is insane. I haven’t been inside a business in 10 weeks. To me the big box stores would be the most dangerous places to go. Shelly plans to take this to Federal Court. 

She was jailed for not kissing the ring of a corrupt judge. Read about him if you don’t believe me.

Absolutely! I've been saying this all along about certain businesses. I think some people think the businesses that are open now are somehow safe. You could go anywhere with other people and get this virus. Stay home if you're afraid like I have. If you're not worried so much go out and be safe. Being safe is the important thing. 

Honored Contributor

This past 7 days:

Sister in law dies last Thursday from Covid {Maryland)

A co-worker's mother diagnosed on Monday, died last night. (Massachusetts)

My nephew active duty Navy tested positive on Monday. (Virginia)

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Just this morning our Gov. Abbott modified his Executive Order no confinement if the order is violated and as made it retroactively.  Our Lt. Gov. Patrick as personally  paid her $7,000.00 fine from his own wallet.

@beckyb1012 

They obviously viewed this the same way as I do, as a judge flexing his power at the extreme. Good for them, power over power, but it is a shame.

Criminals let out of jail/people going to work, put in jail. Also heard this specific jail has cells quarantined, and she was put in there? And that makes sense to who? Not me!

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@lianne wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Good to know that I can break the law and do whatever I want, as long as I have a good excuse for it, and not face consequences. What a wonderful lesson for the children!

Rignt now it seems to be ok if you are in a state run by a favored governor.

That is detestible but it's the current admin's platform. Special treatment for states that agree only.

@lianne Like IL...where the mayor got her hair done. Or NY...where a vocal quarantined individual went out to visit some property he owned.   Are they the ones you mean?

Keepin' it real.