Honored Contributor

Re: Go Fund me and the Texas hairdresser, Shelley Luther

[ Edited ]

First of all, her claim of opening her salon so she could “feed her kids” was not true. It was so her employees could work and feed their children. Her salon is about five miles from my house. Her daughter is 17. Her fine was 1k for each day she was open in defiance of the close order. 7 days. I didn’t like that the whole thing was all about her..not the stay closed order or her employees...and the go fund me page was unnecessary.,,she should donate it. Our Lt. Gov. paid the fine for her. She was jailed for not apologizing to Clay Jenkins, on county commissioner board, who has been putting out his own rules ahead of the governor.  She should reimburse Dan Patrick and anyone else who gave her 7K. I think the judge should have fined her only...but jail was not necessary. She should not have put out balloons when she reopened her salon....it just showed she wanted attention. 

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess Wow, that's interesting, so you live pretty close to where this is. Just curious, do you know how much was raised from the gofundme?

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

Well I thought @shoekitty was pretty creative in expressing her exasperation.  I like good imagery, it's a pleasure to read.

Shoekitty said:  thank you!  Oh my, I thought everyone was loosing their sense of humor.  

I'm not seeing much humor about this topic. One group of people is dead serious about how intensely they support this lady. Seems like she's sort of a representative for them. If you criticize her actions, they will attack you in pretty extreme and personal terms. I think it's probably essentially a partisan topic, considering the reactions. Best not to engage too much on it. If you're honest you will just upset them more and they will continue to vent.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

This is my point.  It is not that she is working.  I can't tell you how many "kitchen beauticians", "back room barbers"  and  other personal service people are working now.  It is hush hush, and if they do this I am not snitching, and it's okay by me. They are careful.   They don't flaunt the law in public, make fun of the laws of state, openly show hatefulness to the Judges who uphold the laws of our country.  She can move to Russia or somewhere if she can't appreciate our country.  Why did she go pubic.?  Rip up an order and sass officers..    Why didn't she work on the sly.?    she is that kind of person.  A real, jerk  and I mean it.   
feed her kids, my rump.  Every family in America needs to feed their kids.  Thank God they all don't break the law.  Then taxpayers pay?..

I hope the tips break  on her best scissors, and the bite is ruined on all her spares.  And while I am at it, may her combs loose their teeth.  

So it's better for people to break the rules behind everyone's back? And don't make fun of the laws of the state? This is America. We should be questioning every single law or in this case order that comes down every day, We don't answer to the people that write the laws or orders, they answer to us and they have to convince us that they are appropriate.

Honored Contributor

Last I heard it was close to the goal of $500k. That could feed a lot of her employees’ kids.
Honored Contributor

Don’t know if it is true in all states, but in Texas you are required to have a license to cut hair and you can have it revoked if you cut hair in people’s homes rather than in a salon i.e. your place of business.
Respected Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

This is my point.  It is not that she is working.  I can't tell you how many "kitchen beauticians", "back room barbers"  and  other personal service people are working now.  It is hush hush, and if they do this I am not snitching, and it's okay by me. They are careful.   They don't flaunt the law in public, make fun of the laws of state, openly show hatefulness to the Judges who uphold the laws of our country.  She can move to Russia or somewhere if she can't appreciate our country.  Why did she go pubic.?  Rip up an order and sass officers..    Why didn't she work on the sly.?    she is that kind of person.  A real, jerk  and I mean it.   
feed her kids, my rump.  Every family in America needs to feed their kids.  Thank God they all don't break the law.  Then taxpayers pay?..

I hope the tips break  on her best scissors, and the bite is ruined on all her spares.  And while I am at it, may her combs loose their teeth.  

So it's better for people to break the rules behind everyone's back? And don't make fun of the laws of the state? This is America. We should be questioning every single law or in this case order that comes down every day, We don't answer to the people that write the laws or orders, they answer to us and they have to convince us that they are appropriate.

People only hate this lady because their preferred news outlet told them she is a bad bad lady. Not those in charge who are doing whatever they want despite making harsh rules for everyone else. Not those people going to hairdressers homes illegally to get their hair done. Nope no one told them to hate those people so they're cool. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yup, it's perfectly okay to break the law and go to a hairdresser's private home to get their hair cut and colored, because both the stylist and client are wearing masks, so, no danger.

Hypocrites!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Well, having seen the quality of the haircut she gave to her Senator, she really doesn't derserve to have a salon or customers.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Super Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

People only hate this lady because their preferred news outlet told them she is a bad bad lady. Not those in charge who are doing whatever they want despite making harsh rules for everyone else. Not those people going to hairdressers homes illegally to get their hair done. Nope no one told them to hate those people so they're cool. 

That's funny. No, I can't stand this woman, the officials who disregard the rules they instituted, or those who work from/go to a home or other location. The guidelines are in place to keep all of us safe, and I have a problem with anyone who has such little regard for the health of the community as a whole. It is unfortunate that some of our leaders are such bad role models. 

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”