Super Contributor

Re: Go Fund me and the Texas hairdresser, Shelley Luther

@Mominohio wrote:

These 'rules' are only sustainable for so long. Many people have no backup after this long. They  have to get their businesses back open, or they are not going to survive. 

It is going to come to the point that people are going to have to choose. They are going to choose to stay isolated if that is what they want to do, or they are going to choose to go out and try to get back some sense of making a living, with precautions, and let those who want to partake of their business do so. Everyone knows the risks now, and is going to be forced to make choices. 

We cannot live in the rabbit hole for much longer. Something has to give. Not everyone has guaranteed pensions/retirement coming in.Not everyone is on the government dole. Not everyone has been afforded the 'luxury' of being an essential worker and had their regular income coming in. 

It's getting to the point that even those of us who don't want to get back out to things we consider non essential for us (for me that would be restaurants, salons, retail stores etc.) have to realize they are essential for others, mostly the people who make their living in them. 

And the fact that we have been given no real end date for this just verifies the fact that we have to start to get back at it in most areas, with precaution, and see where it leads. I don't like it, but I see the necessity of having to move forward in most places. The staying locked down till there is a cure isn't going to be feasible. The whole thing started as a way to 'flatten the curve' and let healthcare keep up with the sickness, have time to build facilities, have time to ramp up production of PPE's and get them distributed. It was never presented as the thing to do until this was eradicated or controlled. 

I think if every person did as much as they could to protect themselves and others ( up to and including only going where you need to, not just crowding places just to be out and about), much could begin to open, and those willing or needing to risk it being back out there would have a safer environment in which to do so. But those that won't do the most to protect are going to be that way today, tomorrow, next month and 6 months from now. We have to get back at it some time.

Very well said.

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@lianne wrote:

THis story reminds me of two pastors I read about that insisted on having services live and railed against the "rules". One is dead and the other is in the hospital. 

I guess praying the virus away didnt work out too well for them.

What does this comment have to do with this topic?  Now it's Christian bashing instead

It's a comment bashing stupid, arrogant people who do not care about the people they are responsible for.

It has nothing to do with this hair dresser or what happened at all....just mean and directed to put down people of Christian Faith.

Are you trying to start a religious argument? What would be the point of that? 

I assume you agree that the death of the pastor was a tragedy for his family and his congregation. Or is that an inaccurate assumption?

I am pointing out it has nothing to do with the topic of this salon owner....but you clearly can read that.  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@lianne wrote:

THis story reminds me of two pastors I read about that insisted on having services live and railed against the "rules". One is dead and the other is in the hospital. 

What does this comment have to do with this topic?  Now it's Christian bashing instead

It's a comment bashing stupid, arrogant people who do not care about the people they are responsible for.

@tansy   It is the last sentence in her post that is stupid and arrogant.

Posted with glee - in other words these pastors deserved what they got.

When we arrive at the point of saying praying didn't work out for somebody,  we have lost yet more footing on the path of compassion.

I'm surprised you did not pick up on the sarcasm regarding prayer.

And @tsavorite is right-this had nothing to do with the Texas case.  Nobody became ill or died in that case.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@lianne wrote:

@tansy   It is the last sentence in her post that is stupid and arrogant.

Posted with glee - in other words these pastors deserved what they got.

When we arrive at the point of saying praying didn't work out for somebody,  we have lost yet more footing on the path of compassion.

I'm surprised you did not pick up on the sarcasm regarding prayer.

And @tsavorite is right-this had nothing to do with the Texas case.  Nobody became ill or died in that case.

Yes....exactly....

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Lali1 

I think it's a public health issue more than a political issue.

@Lali1 wrote:

This post is going nowhere fast. 1 you mentioned Fox News  2 somehow wanting to go back to work has become a political issue. 

I've explained my comment already. What I should have said is this is going to get political. Everything lately seems to go there. 

Trusted Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@wishmoon wrote:

Why bother listening to laws when you can do what you want and be rewarded? Isn't this the first sign of a society sinking into chaos? She doesn't get to pick and choose which laws she'll listen to, nobody else is allowed to do that. I'm sure there are a lot of ppl standing in food lines in order to feed their children. Do I think they like it, heck no! You *DO* do what you have to...as long as you don't break a law.

@wishmoon  She broke no law...she defied an order. There's a big difference!

She got her 15 minutes of fame, I'm sure she loves that.  Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I have not read all the comments but I just wondered what makes her more important than all the other hair dressers who are following the rules?

Nothing makes her more important. Any other salon owner could have defied the order as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@wishmoon wrote:

Why bother listening to laws when you can do what you want and be rewarded? Isn't this the first sign of a society sinking into chaos? She doesn't get to pick and choose which laws she'll listen to, nobody else is allowed to do that. I'm sure there are a lot of ppl standing in food lines in order to feed their children. Do I think they like it, heck no! You *DO* do what you have to...as long as you don't break a law.

@wishmoon  She broke no law...she defied an order. There's a big difference!

She got her 15 minutes of fame, I'm sure she loves that.  Smiley Wink

She also got over $500,000.00. 

Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

This past 7 days:

Sister in law dies last Thursday from Covid {Maryland)

A co-worker's mother diagnosed on Monday, died last night. (Massachusetts)

My nephew active duty Navy tested positive on Monday. (Virginia)

@JaneMarple I'm truly sorry for the devastation this horrible virus is causing to your loved ones and friends.  I lost a dear friend to the virus....got the call two days ago.  It is heartbreaking.

Trusted Contributor

I did not go through 15 pages of comments, but the Texas Atty General paid the fine, so I am not sure what will happen with the fund. I am guessing that she will continue to get donations, but I just hope her shop does well, and I am sure that many new customers will make appointments.