Respected Contributor

Re: Go Fund me and the Texas hairdresser, Shelley Luther

It kills me all these people sitting home in their easy chair still getting paid (and posting on forums) . They judge this woman so harshly wanting to throw the book at her for wanting to support her family.  Stop being so judgmental until you walk in her shoes. Like I said, it's easy to be so mean to her when you're still sitting comfy at home not having to worry how you'll pay the rent and that you'll end up having to pitch a tent under a bridge.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

I wouldn't let someone with this history near my head with a pair of scissors.

Me either. She probably doesn't sanitize her tools either. Disgusting.

@Porcelain WHAT????  How does wanting to work to feed her children correlate to her not sanitizing her tools?  That makes no sense.

It's not feedng her children that is the problem, but you knew that. Anyone with children does their best to feed them, including those who are sheltering in place right now.

It is carelessness and defiance about her customers' safety and grandstanding that undermine her reputation. If she is this careless and defiant in exposing herself and her clients to a deadly virus like COVID-19, why wouldn't she be equally careless and defiant about following basic cosmetology standards and rules, such as sanitizing equipment to prevent spreading other viruses like hepatitis. Now more than ever we have to be careful who we have breathing on and near us. It matters who they are and where they've been.

https://bottomlineinc.com/life/hair/hepatitis-the-infection-you-could-get-at-a-nail-salon-or-barber-...

https://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/default.htm

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

DH and I feel very fortunate that we are retired and have pensions and Social Security to live on.  The younger generation are not so lucky.  And in our state, the unemployment office is so overwhelmed that many people can not even sign up for it, much less get it and live on it.  What a mess. 

Honored Contributor

Shelter in Place or a stay at home order is just that.  It is an ORDER that forces non-essential businesses to close and prohibits people from leaving their homes except for doing something essential, like grocery shopping.

The constitution of the state or state statutes give the state governments the power to issue these orders which are used in cases of emergency like a pandemic or a natural disaster.  

Whether these orders can be enforced or not depends on how the order is written.  So for some to say these are not a law and not enforceable, you may be incorrect.

How many of you who think she did the right thing but defying the order and opening up her business would think the same way if she defied a stay at home order that had been issued because of a wild fire or some other natural disaster?  Maybe she defied the order and the wildfire began getting close to her salon and she needed to be rescued?  

I'm asking because we see posts all the time blaming people for doing things they shouldn't be doing, defying orders to leave their homes when asked to during hurricane season, etc.

Regardless, this woman defied an order that was put in place by the state government.  She didn't have to like the order but she did have to follow it.  She chose not to and now she is facing the consequences.  

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.      

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

The judge asked her to apologize for knowingly breaking the law.  Using the "I need to feed my kids" is a lame excuse for "I don't agree with the lockdown". NO ONE starves in the United States.  

The long term effects of having the virus are not known.  Death aside, it Is wreaking havoc on people's lungs. I sure as heck don't want to catch it.

@scatcat, you need to get out of your little bubble and look around more.

@Lipstickdiva 

No bubble here.  The US is full of overweight and obese people, Plenty of food in the US. No one starves. Do you see starvation in your town? Choosing drugs and alcohol over feeding your kids does not count.  I live in Chicago where school kids are fed breakfast and lunch everyday.  My eyes are wide open 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@lianne wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Good to know that I can break the law and do whatever I want, as long as I have a good excuse for it, and not face consequences. What a wonderful lesson for the children!

Rignt now it seems to be ok if you are in a state run by a favored governor.

That is detestible but it's the current admin's platform. Special treatment for states that agree only.

Interesting. If this is the Texas Supreme Court precedent now, I'm thinking shoplifters can easily use this "feeding my children" defense if they have children at home. And restaurant dine and dashers. Lots of petty crimes can be performed with impunity in Texas now.

I'd hate to be a shopkeeper and have to deal with all that. You catch a shoplifter and the police won't come because there would be no way to get a conviction. If it's bad now, I can see it getting much worse. There are always unintended consequences to any decision, so that's why it's important to have wise thoughtful people on the courts and in positiions of resonsibility.

Shoplifting is not even prosecuted where this woman was thrown in jail for trying to EARN a living.  Plus, they were letting people out of jail I guess to jail people for petty non-crimes.

Esteemed Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

The judge asked her to apologize for knowingly breaking the law.  Using the "I need to feed my kids" is a lame excuse for "I don't agree with the lockdown". NO ONE starves in the United States.  

The long term effects of having the virus are not known.  Death aside, it Is wreaking havoc on people's lungs. I sure as heck don't want to catch it.

@scatcat, you need to get out of your little bubble and look around more.

@Lipstickdiva 

No bubble here.  The US is full of overweight and obese people, Plenty of food in the US. No one starves. Do you see starvation in your town? Choosing drugs and alcohol over feeding your kids does not count.  I live in Chicago where school kids are fed breakfast and lunch everyday.  My eyes are wide open 

WOW...apparently you have no idea how many people...children included...go to bed hungry every night.  Even in Chicago.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@Pook wrote:

She wants to feed her children but obviously doesn't care about their health or lives!!  Let's hope they survive her selfish way to do that!!  I doubt that her children were in danger of starving!  If she is so caring about feeding her kids then she would take one of the many jobs needing workers due to this virus like so many others are doing...seems like it's beneath her to do anything but open her shop and it's not the kids she is thinking of!!

@Pook How is taking some other job less dangerous to her children? I would think a salon, with a more limited number of customers, would be a lot safer than a place with lots of customers and other workers. Her salon could ask clients to stay outside until they are called in, thereby limiting contact. Much, much safer than some other jobs!

She maintained that she needed to feed her children so their safety and health was never an issue for her - just feeding them!!  In light of her statement about feeding her kids, if she really cared about feeding them as a caring mother then she would have done whatever it took to legally feed them and not blatently ignore restrictions that everyone else was following and would have got one of the jobs advertising all over delivering or working in a store, etc to feed her kids but obviously her kids were not really her priority!!  I doubt that her kids were in danger of being anywhere near staving!!   The salon I go to will not open  right away even if restrictions lifted because they would loose more money than they could make and would have to have very early morning and late night hours to even accomodate half of their customers!  She also probably will not be following the strict guidlines for opening such businesses as salons which include extensive constant  sanitizing and limiting the number in her business.

Esteemed Contributor

We cannot hide out in our homes until the virus is wiped off the face of the earth.

If that's what *you choose to do, fine, but choice works both ways.

If *you have the right to choose, then so do I, and so does everybody else.

And just because what I, or somebody else decides to do is different from what *you decide to do, doesn't make me, or them bad people.

*general, universal meaning of the word "you". Not talking about anyone specifically.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I heard a radio interview with Shelley Luther a few days ago, before jailing, and was torn.  I'm one of those who almost instinctively wants to comply with grounded higher authority-- you can't be even a little bit Canadian and not have a tendency to 'social obedience", ha.  However, I understood the forces that were propelling her.  And, she was not one bit a grandstander or "show boat" at all--  she sounded desperate-- resolute, but desperate.

Not referring to the particulars of this case, or whether the judge and others have the authority to mandate the harsh penalty of jail or not, I do think this case highlights the dilemma going forward with the virus.

It's the thorny, age-old dilemma of safety vs. civil liberties.  Of course, we have to safeguard safety and health, and we have in our evolving way, been doing so and should continue in reasonable form.  But some of the edicts in some spots have, in my opinion, veered toward a kind of weird inconsistency and authoritarianism, that can be very unhealthy as well.  Some officials I do believe, have been overzealous.  Authoritarianism, especially in time of crisis, can be tempting to some. 

The knowledge base around the virus has evolved, and in some cases changed, and we have to be able to adapt with that, and also keep an eye to not sliding into some kind of horrible, overweening police state situation...

I do not believe that one "side" of the debate is all right, and the other, all wrong.  There are too many complex variables.