Respected Contributor

Re: Go Fund me and the Texas hairdresser, Shelley Luther

Good to know that I can break the law and do whatever I want, as long as I have a good excuse for it, and not face consequences. What a wonderful lesson for the children!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Super Contributor

An order is not a law...

Super Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I tried to see if anyone had posted about this, and nothing came up so I'm hoping I have not started a duplicate thread. 

What are your thoughts on this? This is the lady who opened her shop, defied orders to shut it down, and then when in front of the judge, wouldn't apologize and he gave her 7 days in jail. My understanding from the news is that if she had said she did wrong, she wouldn't have gotten jail time, and she refused, saying she needed money to put food on the table for her children.

There was a story on Fox, that said a go fund me has been set up for her and it has nearly 500,000. So, I go to go fund me to look. There are at least a dozen go fund me's set up to do with this lady. Some of them are allegedly for her. And I wonder if she will get any of the money some of these folks have set up "on her behalf"

And some are against her, one said if she could get that much and be breaking the law, this individual who follows the law wanted to see how much people would give him.

I have donated to go fund me a few times, it was people in the community who I didn't know well, who had had tragedies.

Does anyone else just find the whole world just a little odder than normal at this point? 

She is horrible and should have been made to stay in jail. 

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”
Respected Contributor

The judge asked her to apologize for knowingly breaking the law.  Using the "I need to feed my kids" is a lame excuse for "I don't agree with the lockdown". NO ONE starves in the United States.  

The long term effects of having the virus are not known.  Death aside, it Is wreaking havoc on people's lungs. I sure as heck don't want to catch it.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

The judge is wrong here. In jail for not apologizing?  I guess "contempt of court" can be anything an arrogant judge with an ego can make it. 

Good for her for standing her ground. 

eta...Gofundme has become a scam opportunity. Like so many things, a good tool often misused. 

@esmerelda 

Your post could have been written by me, every word in it. Thank you!

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Good to know that I can break the law and do whatever I want, as long as I have a good excuse for it, and not face consequences. What a wonderful lesson for the children!

Rignt now it seems to be ok if you are in a state run by a favored governor.

That is detestible but it's the current admin's platform. Special treatment for states that agree only.

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

How was the judge wrong?

The Governor Of Texas had issued a stay at home order.

It was not a suggestion. It was not optional.

It was a stay at home order for all the people.

Did anyone mention that she did receive some of the government funds for small business?

No one is above the law. 

He did not incarcerate her due to violating the Order but for not apologizing to him. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Just this morning our Gov. Abbott modified his Executive Order no confinement if the order is violated and as made it retroactively.  Our Lt. Gov. Patrick as personally  paid her $7,000.00 fine from his own wallet.

One more reason why I cannot stand Abbott or Patrick. 

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”
Honored Contributor

@wishmoon   I don't see the 'shelter in place' as a law, nothing was passed by the legislature...shelter in place was put in place by governors. 

@wishmoon wrote:

Why bother listening to laws when you can do what you want and be rewarded? Isn't this the first sign of a society sinking into chaos? She doesn't get to pick and choose which laws she'll listen to, nobody else is allowed to do that. I'm sure there are a lot of ppl standing in food lines in order to feed their children. Do I think they like it, heck no! You *DO* do what you have to...as long as you don't break a law.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

She wants to feed her children but obviously doesn't care about their health or lives!!  Let's hope they survive her selfish way to do that!!  I doubt that her children were in danger of starving!  If she is so caring about feeding her kids then she would take one of the many jobs needing workers due to this virus like so many others are doing...seems like it's beneath her to do anything but open her shop and it's not the kids she is thinking of!!