Honored Contributor

Glorious pics for wildlife & nature lovers

[ Edited ]

special alert for @Drythe 

Mane attraction: Stunning images of lions in Africa showcase work of 10 award-winning photographers for fund-raising wildlife book

• Stunning photographs showcase ten winners of competition for places in charity book Remembering Lions 
  • Book was pre-funded with a Kickstarter campaign that has so far raised £163,000 for conservation projects 
  • Fourth book in the Remembering Wildlife series which was started by photographer Margot Ragget  

These stunning photographs showcase the work of the ten winners of a competition for places in an upcoming charity book called Remembering Lions. 

The book was pre-funded with a Kickstarter campaign that has so far raised £163,000 - making it the third most successful photography book funded on the platform. 

All profits from the book will go on lion conservation projects in Africa and the organiser hopes it will raise more than £200,000.  

Stunning photographs showcase the work of the winners of a competition for places in an upcoming charity book called Remembering Lions. Pictured: Lion father hugging his cub by Sabine Bernert
The book was pre-funded with a Kickstarter campaign that has so far raised £163,000 - making it the third most successful photography book funded on the platform. Pictured are four impressive male lions gazing in the distance by Phil McFadden

Margot Raggett and other wildlife photographers, including the current Wildlife Photographer of the Year, Marsel van Oosten, have created the coffee table photography book for charity to raise awareness about the threats that lions face.

Remembering Lions is the fourth in a series of photography books created by Ms Raggett and her campaign has already raised a whopping £460,000 for conservation projects in Africa and Asia.

The book features stunningly candid shots of lions in their natural habitat in the African plains.

Along with Margot Raggett and Marsel van Oosten are photographers Steve Winter, Art Wolfe and Frans Lanting who have donated photographs to raise awareness and funding to protect lions.

There are around 20,000 lions left in the wild currently and their numbers have been halved in just the last quarter of a century.

All profits from the book will go on lion conservation projects in Africa and the organiser hopes it will raise more than £200,000. Pictured is a young cub playing with its mother's tale by Yaron Schmind

Margot Raggett and other wildlife photographers, including the current Wildlife Photographer of the Year, Marsel van Oosten, have created the coffee table photography book for charity to raise awareness about the threats that lions face. Pictured is a young cub leading boldly leading its pride by Hendri Venter
Remembering Lions is the fourth in a series of photography books created by Ms Raggett and her campaign has already raised a whopping £460,000 for conservation projects in Africa and Asia. Pictured are young lions lounging in a tree by Daniel Rosengren

They face many threats from issues such as poaching for their skins and bones, hunting and habit loss and conflict with humans.

Once found across Africa, Asia, Europe and even the Americas, lions are now confined to sub-Saharan Africa and a small pocket in northern India.

Margot Raggett said. 'So much of our wildlife is disappearing under our very noses, our generation has so much to answer for.

'These books are a way for the wildlife community to say take a stand and say enough is enough.'

Ms Raggett said: 'People take for granted that lions will be around for future generations, but unless serious action is taken now, they might not survive. We hope this book will help awareness of the crisis and allow us to change that.' 

There are only around 20,000 lions left in the wild currently and their numbers have been halved in just the last quarter of a century. Pictured is the silhouette of a lioness and her pride at sunset by Daniel Bailey
Past fans of the Remembering Wildlife series include Pierce Brosnan, Michelle Pfeiffer, Joanna Lumley and Russell Crowe. Pictured is a young male lion wading through the shallows of the Luangwa River by Patrick Bentley
Margot Raggett said. 'So much of our wildlife is disappearing under our very noses, our generation has so much to answer for.' Pictured is a lion surveying his kingdom against the backdrop of the Nairobi city skyline in Nairobi National Park, Kenya, by Suhail Manji
Once found across Africa, Asia, Europe and even the Americas, lions are now confined to sub-Saharan Africa and a small pocket in northern India. Pictured is a pride of lions huddled together by Lak******ha Karunarathna

Remembering Lions will be published on October 14 as the fourth book in Margot Raggett's Remembering Wildlife series. Pictured is a proud male lion by Federico Veronesi

~

Honored Contributor

Re: Glorious pics for wildlife & nature lovers

Breathtaking!   And the babies so cute.

The four magnificent adult males together.  A "pride" of lions?  That is a photo for the ages-- it evokes many reactions at once.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy  Thanks for the beautiful pictures.  Based on your QVC 'name' I assume you like cats?

Do you ever look right into your cat's face and see how similar your cat looks to these glorious wild animals?

Bill the cat just finished climbing on my CHEST (yes, right under my chin) and sits there while I love him up.

I am getting him ready because my dear friend came over yesterday and (while loving Bill) informed me he was going to have to have his large tooth pulled!

I have to give Bill a prescription soft food because he just will not, will not drink any water at all.

We found that out when he almost died a few years ago from a kidney infection.  We tried various prescription foods and settled on this.

The problem is it's soft so it sticks to his teeth.  I thought she was going to say, "OK, Dr Dave (the Vet) will clean them up".  But she said, "That big tooth will have to be pulled because it's rotten at the root".  It happened very quickly.  Bill is always in my face and I look at his teeth.  So, I was surprised to hear that.

Another subject but similar.  Did any of you hear about "Grumpy Cat" dying about a week or so ago.

She died of the same thing Bill had (kidney infection).  But it makes me angry because she was only 7 years old.  I would have thought with all of the attention she got they'd have seen or noticed her infection quickly, like I did Bill.  

I know the minute he isn't himself.  I have my friend come over and bring her stethoscope.  Sometimes she'll say, he's just a little conjested or it's allergies (recently).  Then he wasn't allowed on the screened in back porch (he wasn't a happy camper).  But now he's back to himself.

My point is, that cat earned over $100 million (yes, you saw right) for her parents.  Why didn't they pay more attention.

This kidney/bladder infection is something that often happens in male cats because (like human males) the uretha tube is small.

Here's a picture of Grumpy Cat for those who aren't familiar with her.. RIP Grumpy Cat!  She gave us so many laughs over the years.

Grumpy Cat's famous unamused expression is a permanent fixture. Her face and underbite are due to a condition called feline dwarfism.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy -

Thank you so much! These are wonderful!Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the lovely photos.  

Anyone been on a sightseeing Safari in Africa?  I was extremely fortunate to have seen these magnificent cats in their own habitat about 8 feet from our Land Rover.

Surprising, they were not that interested in us, just watching as we stopped to get a closer look, probably because they were accustomed to Land Rovers driving through.  

Several times we saw males out hunting at night, but mostly adult females, babies, and older youngsters.

At one point, a huge male elephant stood his ground and we had to turn around and get out of there.  

Unforgettable experience.  

Honored Contributor

Incredibly beautiful and moving. Animals are such a blessing to us, we need them here.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

Amazing lions...proving that they are sentient beings also.  Thank you for these stunning photos.Heart

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy 

MAGNIFICENT!!!!HeartHeartHeart

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Incredibly beautiful and moving. Animals are such a blessing to us, we need them here.

@AMEN!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 

Yep, we can look into our cats eyes and see their bigger cousins...especially when they're getting into mischief 

Related image

I wondered the same thing about Grumpy cat--- if they loved her and took good care of her....and if this was just an unfortunate condition that was related to her dwarfism and health issues they have....???? So sad 

crying-cat-face_1f63f.png

Poor Bill sorry to hear about his tooth problem....I had a Lynx Point Siamese.  She was such a sweetie, she loved people, she had to have dental work done when she was quite young, but she handled it like a trooper and graced me with 17 years of joy....