Respected Contributor

Re: Gloria Vanderbilt Leaves Son Anderson Cooper Bulk Of Her Estate

Anderson you know you are my best friend. 😎 On a serious note I think he is a good guy from what I can tell and I hope he doing ok.❤️

Honored Contributor

Sadly, people do use their wills to punish relatives, even their children.  I can't imaging the circumstances under which I would leave one of my children out of my will, even if we were astranged and never spoke.  I can understand why a person might leave one child more than the other but in a situation where I had such great wealth, I'd leave my children equal shares.  There's always the option of a trustee if you believe a child can't responsibly handle the money.  I only know of one case in which a grandparent left a grandson out of her will.  They were far from wealth but there was a home and some money.  To their credit; the two who did inherit, shared a substantial amount with the brother because they didn't want to endanger their relationship with their brother.  

Honored Contributor

Did they say how much he inherited minus the property given to the other son?

Honored Contributor

@cherry I think most people aren’t judging but just giving an opinion.It is a sad situation when a parent doesn’t for whatever reason treat their children equally in the end.It is like the final word on how they felt about them.I am not implying that is isn’t anyone’s choice to what they want with a will or their possessions but it just seems to be a cruel final goodbye.

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Hum, didn't realize Gloria had 3 sons. Wait, she only had 2 sons. Anderson said on CNN there is now no one else who knows him from when he was little. He feels very lonely.

No surprise about leaveing the bulk to Anderson.

she had 4 sons......three are still living, one is dead.

she also has three grandchildren.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3944494/CNN-host-Anderson-Cooper-reunites-brother-not-seen-...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

She had four sons. Anderson and his brother Carter who killed himself, as well as their half brothers Chris and Leopold, by another father. Three of her sons are alive. Chris is the one who was estranged from Gloria and while the story appears to involve her former shrink, the details have never been divulged. If her estate is as large as some suggest, in the neighborhood of 200M, then yes, I personally think it was petty not to leave something somewhat significant to each of her sons, regardless of who might have been her favorite.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I have no idea what happened. Perhaps he rejected  all attempts at reconciliation ,and doesn't want anything from her

It takes 2 to tango and  two to reconcile...I refuse to lay all to the blame on Gloria

Honored Contributor

0E1ECE47-FC81-4AAF-80FA-214B6EA80980.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am sure a lot of good will come out of Gloria's decision to leave the bulk of her estate to Anderson. I suspect he will put the money to good use as he has always been involved in philanthropy.

As far as why/what she chose to do regarding her other two sons? I think families can be complex and the inner workings and dynamics of the relationships no one is necessarily privy to.

Honored Contributor

loria Vanderbilt has left almost her entire fortune to her youngest son, Anderson Cooper, despite the fact that he grew up thinking there was no inheritance waiting for him. According to her will, which was filed in Manhattan surrogate court earlier this week, the late heiress and fashion icon left her Midtown Manhattan residence at 30 Beekman Place to eldest son, Leopold “Stan” Stokowski, but stipulated that “all the rest” of her property would go to her wealthy CNN host son, Anderson, Page Six reports.