Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I love films, always have. Thank goodness I don't give a hoot what political opinion they opine if they are exceptionally talented at their job. That's what I'm going to the theater or my TV to see.

I am looking forward to seeing this movie.

@suzyQ3...A "political opinion" is one thing...It is the political insults, nasty ridicule and profanity that put it in a totally different arena....Also, it is not necessary to turn an awards show into a political rally...They can get together and hold their own political rallies if they so desire elsewhere.

This has nothing to do with what political party one belongs to...I respect others opinions  and am bothered whenever I see anyone being targeted and besieged by such ridicule and ugliness.

This is not what we are tuning in to watch on an Awards Show.

@MyShadowLove.  You need to think about what you said. It happens every day and not by Hollywood. Look at the news.

Half our family has different views. We all get along.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Glenn Close

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I love films, always have. Thank goodness I don't give a hoot what political opinion they opine if they are exceptionally talented at their job. That's what I'm going to the theater or my TV to see.

I am looking forward to seeing this movie.

@suzyQ3...A "political opinion" is one thing...It is the political insults, nasty ridicule and profanity that put it in a totally different arena....Also, it is not necessary to turn an awards show into a political rally...They can get together and hold their own political rallies if they so desire elsewhere.

This has nothing to do with what political party one belongs to...I respect others opinions  and am bothered whenever I see anyone being targeted and besieged by such ridicule and ugliness.

This is not what we are tuning in to watch on an Awards Show. 

@MyShadowLove.  You need to think about what you said. It happens every day and not by Hollywood. Look at the news.

Half our family has different views. We all get along.

@proudlyfromNJ....You need to re-read my post...Believe me, I am very aware of what is going on and do keep up with the news...I am referring to the award shows and do not care to take this thread off-topic where the subject is encompassing everywhere.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

I'll say this about Ms. Close:  She has made her political affiliations known, but has done so without vulgarity.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw The Wife just this past week....Glenn Close did a wonderful job in her role...Her whole demeaner exuded a tense and unhappy wife and, at first, I had a difficult time with her character as I couldn't understand what was going on with her, although I definitely picked up much resentment...She made me feel so uneasy and I was starting to feel tense myself!...lol

Then, as the story unfolds, she gradually unravels throughout like an active volcano that finally erupts.

I don't think that this was her best role, but she definitely deserves the recognition!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

The Wife is available on Netflix.  I am going to watch it this weekend (not a football fan!).  This is what I love about award shows - I passed it over at the theater thinking because it looked boring to me but once she won the awards I decided to see it.  

Respected Contributor

I used to watch the award shows for just that, the awards....but numerous celebrities have used that multi-dimentional pulpit to rant or spew politics in whatever method they chose...I no longer watch award shows and numerous celebrities have stooped way too low since I do not want to hear their political opines....keep it to yourself!

Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

I used to watch the award shows for just that, the awards....but numerous celebrities have used that multi-dimentional pulpit to rant or spew politics in whatever method they chose...I no longer watch award shows and numerous celebrities have stooped way too low since I do not want to hear their political opines....keep it to yourself!

That does not bother me.  I figure when they vocalize their opinions there are people who disagree and will not spend their money going to see their movies and I am sure they are aware of that also.  I respect all opinions.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

That does not bother me.  I figure when they vocalize their opinions there are people who disagree and will not spend their money going to see their movies and I am sure they are aware of that also.  I respect all opinions.  

@DiAnne  To each his own!

Respected Contributor

We don't go to movie theaters.  The majority of films are made for young men with lots of violence, foul language and sex.  Additionally, the tickets are too expensive as are the drinks and snacks.  Add the incredibly loud volume and it's just not a pleasure to go to a theater.  If it's something we're interested in seeing, we wait until it's available on-line or tv. 

As for the Academy Awards craziness, that's something else we refuse to watch.  The entertainment industry seems to have a self congratulatory orgy every other week.  What other profession does this?   Hint....none!