Honored Contributor

Re: Glen Campbell has passed away

@SilleeMee wrote:

He was so much more than just a country singer. He was a true artist.Heart

@SilleeMee  I don't know whether you've ever heard this, but I've heard Glen say many times during interviews that he didn't consider himself a country singer (although of course many did).   He said he just liked to sing "good songs".   In fact, on YouTube there is the segment from CBS Sunday when he did that show on his farewell tour and he makes that statement during that show.   I watched it on YouTube last night - it's worth the time and I think he's right.  He just chose great songs to sing, which helped him be a crossover to the mainstream and not just a country singer.   

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Pearlee. I will look for it on YT.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee  I think I should have written CBS Sunday Morning if you go searching for it. Sorry.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee  I think I should have written CBS Sunday Morning if you go searching for it. Sorry.

Thanks @Pearlee, I found it.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee  Glad you found it.   Sorry they've gotten so strict about links now or I would have posted it right off the bat.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@software wrote:

I went to youtube as well, found a great duo with Jerry Reed doing Guitar Man.

Also saw Glen and his daughter Ashley playing Dueling Banjos.

Watched the Highway Man with the Boston Pops.   Incredible

@Pearlee

@software  I don't think it was the Pops one I was thinking of.  Was Glenn all dressed up in a nice suit?  The one I was thinking of wasn't outdoors at all.

Yes, he was in a tux and his hair was somewhat long, probably mid 1970s.  Arthur Fiedler conducted.   It's beautiful.   

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@software wrote:

I went to youtube as well, found a great duo with Jerry Reed doing Guitar Man.

Also saw Glen and his daughter Ashley playing Dueling Banjos.

Watched the Highway Man with the Boston Pops.   Incredible

@Pearlee

@software  I don't think it was the Pops one I was thinking of.  Was Glenn all dressed up in a nice suit?  The one I was thinking of wasn't outdoors at all.

Yes, he was in a tux and his hair was somewhat long, probably mid 1970s.  Arthur Fiedler conducted.   It's beautiful.   

@software  That's a different one than the one I meant - in the one I meant, his hair isn't long at all.  Oh well, glad you enjoyed whatever one you saw Smiley Happy  .

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Pearlee,

Thank you for mentioning this vid. I watched it late last night and cried. I was a fan of his "Goodtime Hour" back in the day. The vid brought back memories of my younger days. Will miss Glen Campbell.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Poor Glen. He was riding the wave when he eventually got a television variety show which was very popular, after storming the music market and crossing over into the pop field with his songs. He was married to his first wife at that time. His llife became a shambles when he got involved with Mac Davis's wife, a relationship that lasted just long enough to kind of turn the tide with his popularity. I assume he married a third time and stayed in that relationship. But to come to the end of his life with Alzheimers is just heartbreaking. He certainly didn't deserve that. Nobody does.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  Did you catch that very short exchange when Glen told the interviewer he didn't consider himself a country singer but just liked good songs [implied:  of any genre].    I liked that.   I also liked his attitude about losing his memory - pretty easygoing about it.