Esteemed Contributor

Went to Walmart last week and got Dawn and Dishwasher Detergent. Still no cleaning products. TP and paper towels limited.

Honored Contributor

I shopped for my mom this morning at Kroger.   Fruits, vegetables, meat, dairy, pet food, paper products were plentiful.  The fresh seafood display was sparse, but I was most surprised to see so many empty shelf spaces with cereal, sugar, boxed and canned products.   I did not look at cleaning supplies.   

My privately owned IGA grocery is stocked better than Kroger, and that surprised me.   Since I don’t normally shop Kroger, and this was only my second time in the store this year, I’m not sure whether the empty spaces were because it’s the 4th day of a new month and they were hit hard this weekend, or it’s a result of supply issues.   

Respected Contributor

to me it isn't a surprise to go to 2 different grocery stores on the same day and find one having less stuff on hand  because to me one of the has better over all prices while the other one I go to mostly for their items on sale.

With everything that has been on tv I'm just surprised that someone would ring the meat room because the cases were empty of beef 

Respected Contributor

Re: Glaring inconsistencies

[ Edited ]

Your post speaks to me.  Read on neighborhood blog that there was hand sanitizer

At Sam's yesterday.  I went there today at noon  - no sanitizer, TP, wipes or little meat.  I did get paper towels which was not there last week.

What frosts me is so m e people write - sanitizer is everywhere. Guess they are always out and about.  I used several pumps of my sanitizer going to Sams, Target and HD.  Did get vinegar at Sam's!

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt Ridiculously enough... As you know, I live just outside one of our major cities and yet, as far as I know, we have neither a 'super' Target or a 'super' Walmart... We have a lot of both stores, but many of them were moved into existing vacant retail space and minimally retrofitted and most of those that were built new were built before everyone got into the grocery business , back in the 90's... As a result, they now all have dedicated food sections, but I'd not call any of them, except possibly one Walmart I've yet to go to, an actual 'grocery store'...

That aside, I have no idea what the heck is happening as far as these endless supply chain issues that for some of us have been going on for months and are showing no signs of improvement... As you note, with so many thing closed, the excess food should be more than adequate to keep shelves stocked but is isn't... Perhaps it does have to do with local government, as I have seen little evidence of any high level of competence among my state's 'leadership'... Then too, there's a great divide in this state between the northern region and everything else.. Who the heck knows, but something needs to be done... I've got an order ostensibly coming from Giant later this week, but by the time I navigated past the many, many, 'out of stock' items, I'm still not sure how I'll be putting meals together... And I haven't seen a roll of toilet paper available for shipment since February... People tell me it;s out there, but I'll have to take their word for it... Luckily, I had a small stockpile, but it's not going to last forever... This is just nonsense... No wonder we're not getting much respect these days...

have you considered joining a club like sams or costcos to order tp.  for sams you might have to look twice a day or more  for a couple of weeks to find it in stock.  with a basic 45.00 membership for sams I think the shipping and handling would be about 6.00 to 9.00 for tp.  I ordered today but have plus so the shipping was free and tp is out of stock now.  the pack I ordered was 36 rolls but I forget  how much they said I saved with free shipping.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

Our State opened today.  I also have been shopping mid-afternoons usually Monday for basics.  Boy, it was so crowded -- people had cart fulls of food.  The self and regular checkout had long lines.  I don't buy any meats at WM but the meat case was full.

During this I haven't needed any of the essential things most need.

Over the past week, I did notice going to my local food store -- bare shelves.  Yet, go down the road to another Publix and it's stocked🤷‍♀️

Our Sams had signs stating they would have limited meats and no butcher services.  The day I was in there it was really limited.  

We joined Costco and I'll go there in a few weeks when I need things.  We do not want to do restaurants until maybe June.

Right now the food stores seem to have the few things I need. 

Honored Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

to me it isn't a surprise to go to 2 different grocery stores on the same day and find one having less stuff on hand  because to me one of the has better over all prices while the other one I go to mostly for their items on sale.

With everything that has been on tv I'm just surprised that someone would ring the meat room because the cases were empty of beef 

It wasn't like I was complaining. You can see into the meat room, they provide a buzzer and mark it if you'd like some assistance. The only guy in there was just standing around, no meat to cut. I wanted to ask what they were seeing, getting in, expecting, when etc. 

If we are supposed to be staying in as much as possible, why would I risk myself and others by running to the store again and again to find something that may or may not be there, when my first and smartest action would be to speak directly with a person who just might have the answers. Information is power.

He told me they were getting in virtually nothing, maybe one box of beef a day. It saves me from running, saves me from exposure, and if I might be sick without symptoms, maybe saving someone else too.

I'm surprised that anyone should be surprised when someone asks a question or seeks answers. That used to be considered the smart thing to do.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio : On Tuesday's our fresh market has ground chuck and boneless chicken breast each for $2.99 a pound. Before the virus would go there every two months and no limits on what you could purchase and would purchase 7 packages of each. Last month the limit were 5 packages of each meat. Yesterday, received email that for now the ground chuck not available but you could purchase the chicken breast with limit of 3 packages. Was at Sam's last week  on Thursday and the ground beef and chicken breast family packages available with limits, didn't purchase any. My purchases included the cans of chicken, salmon and tuna with limits of 3 packages each and I only purchased one package of each meat. They had plenty of water, toilet tissue and Kleenex but no cleaning supplies and no type of cleaning wipes and definitely no hand sanitizer. They had cases of the cream of chicken and mushroom soup but no tomato soup. Able to order the tomato soup on line Saturday afternoon. Can't find any type of bread flour or yeast for my bread machine. I have one bag of whole wheat flour and one jar of yeast. My normal flu season supplies of Lysol wipes are down to two canisters and 3 cans of Lysol spray and 1 gallon vinegar and no bleach. Southern Bee

Respected Contributor

I can't remember where everyone here lives, but I feel bad when what is plentiful where I live (S. Central PA) is not in stock where you live.

So strange how that goes...Like here there has been an overflow of Paper Towels ~ Pallets of at least a half dozen brands, and this has been going on for several weeks.  Yet, no TP?  

Not much in the way of disinfectants here, but I go to the Baby Dept. and buy Wipes in the "pull out the top" containers, and pour liquid Lysol in the container.  

I am talking W-Marts.  Trying to get into our grocery stores is a nightmare.  And I do not go to the W-Mart 3 miles from me.  It's huge, and they don't do well with following the rules...Not much distancing, some with no masks...And we are under those rules here.

I go 15 miles to a smaller W-Mart.  Much cleaner, not crowded, and you follow the rules, down to going down the aisles the right way, or you are called out.

@jellyBean ~  Wish you were my neighbor.  I would share my TP with you! Heart

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

I went to the grocery store this morning.  There was plenty of meat available.  I purchased a small package of pork chops and chicken breasts. I needed table salt of all things, so discovered the shelves with flour were bare.  

Same with the selections of rice.  I was looking for a box of Spanish rice and was able to get the last box.  No other rice products were available except for the bags of the microwave flavored rice packages.

They did have paper towel and toilet paper.  Not near the quanity normal before shut down, but they did have some.  I didn't need any so didn't purchase any paper products but had to go down the aisle to get hickory chips for our smoker.  lol

I did score a big bottle of Germ X hand sanitizer though totally by accident. I was looking for a particular foaming hand soap and there was the hand sanitizer.  Total surprise.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *