Honored Contributor

Re: Glaring inconsistencies

[ Edited ]

Agree with you @Mominohio. I contnue trying to use Peapod (Giant) but there are so many holes in product availabilty and yet others stores seem to have some of those missing items, many of which appear to have been missing now for months, but to lack in other areas... I know stores have to have restocked at some point, but one assumes they sell things out as soon as they get them... Regardless of the 'why' this is getting old... If things are improving for some folks I'm glad to hear it... GIves me hope that maybe at some point it will here, but it hasn't yet...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@scatcat wrote:

Just got back from Target.  Wipes, toilet paper, paper towels, toilet bowl cleaner, ground beef and chicken all there. 

Maybe I just got lucky, maybe it's location. I don't buy more than I need 

Which just points out the regional nature of this availability fiasco, as my local Target has meager pickings and frankly, I don't think they ever sold much ground beef or chicken... Lack of cleaning products and paper products seems to be a real long term problem around here and even when they have them, it appears you can't order some things for delivery...

Trusted Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

It is interesting isn't it?  I am STILL on the hunt for toilet paper.  Since I wanted some things at Lowes I figured I'd try there as they'd always had a good selection of paper goods and cleaners before.  The entire side of the aisle where the paper goods used to be is now occupied by something completely different (that I didn't need).  Nothing.

Most people go to their neighbors house to borrow a cup of sugar or an extra stick of butter or something.  Me?  Uhh, do you have an extra roll of toilet paper I could borrow?

Woman Wink

------

My Sister lives in Vancouver, WA/metro Portland, OR area.  Yesterday, she went to the Costco,there, that she goes to.  She said they were overflowing with TP. It was stacked, in several aisles, and there was no rush on it!

Very different than even a week ago, when it was gone as soon as it came in. 

Esteemed Contributor

Much of it is hit and miss.  With some items whatever the stores get in are purchased right away.  I have heard many conversations that basically were "we really don't need any but better pick up some up since they have some here now".  It is being in the right place at the right time.

Also many places are just not putting some items on websites for online shopping.  They know they will be gone quickly.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

Just got back from Target.  Wipes, toilet paper, paper towels, toilet bowl cleaner, ground beef and chicken all there. 

Maybe I just got lucky, maybe it's location. I don't buy more than I need 

Which just points out the regional nature of this availability fiasco, as my local Target has meager pickings and frankly, I don't think they ever sold much ground beef or chicken...

@stevieb 

--This is pre-pandemic of course.....One of the reasons I never did my weekly grocery shopping at Super Target was although they carry lots of national brands their meat and produce selection left much to be desired....Same with WM's produce....

I wonder if the areas of the country that have been divided into "the haves" and "the have nots" depends on what distribution companies the grocery store chains use and the action and the early efforts the store Execs took in assuring adequate supplies would be delivered.....some started way back in Janaury when they saw that concerns about the virus spreading to the U.S. was a possibility when travel restrictions went into effect.......Our grocery store chain, HEB, CEO was quoted--“For the long term, H-E-B is in a good in-stock position on many of the items our customers need, and we are working around the clock to restock our shelves,”

Yes, people are eating more at home, but supplies normally sent to school cafeterias, and restaurants are now being diverted to local stores, there's also adquate meat supply in cold storage......why are some store shelves still empty...Articles Ive read from numerous sources blame it on all the various state and local government safety requirements for workers from truckers to cashiers at grocery stores to shoppers. Also, travel restrictions at state borders are also are clogging up road networks and making it difficult for farm workers and truckers to get food where its needed, then there's the panic buying and hoarding...creating the "perfect storm".

Hopefully, as more and more states slowly open up people will stop panic buying and hoarding...and more stock will become available, but some states are being stubborn on this matter and all this is doing is creating defiance as people say---to heck with quarantining and distancing and they want/need to get back to work and rebel and start to protest in the streets! ...It would be better if they develop a careful staged plan to re-open and monitor and see how it goes...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I was in Giant Eagle yesterday.  They had plenty of all meats and no limit on anything.  I heard today they are going to limit now in an effort to stop panic buying.

They are pretty much fully stocked with paper products now but again, there is a limit to 1 package of TP and paper towels.  I didn't even check the cleaning aisles because I don't need anything.

There was virtually no canned soup, no rice, beans or pasta.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt Ridiculously enough... As you know, I live just outside one of our major cities and yet, as far as I know, we have neither a 'super' Target or a 'super' Walmart... We have a lot of both stores, but many of them were moved into existing vacant retail space and minimally retrofitted and most of those that were built new were built before everyone got into the grocery business , back in the 90's... As a result, they now all have dedicated food sections, but I'd not call any of them, except possibly one Walmart I've yet to go to, an actual 'grocery store'...

That aside, I have no idea what the heck is happening as far as these endless supply chain issues that for some of us have been going on for months and are showing no signs of improvement... As you note, with so many thing closed, the excess food should be more than adequate to keep shelves stocked but is isn't... Perhaps it does have to do with local government, as I have seen little evidence of any high level of competence among my state's 'leadership'... Then too, there's a great divide in this state between the northern region and everything else.. Who the heck knows, but something needs to be done... I've got an order ostensibly coming from Giant later this week, but by the time I navigated past the many, many, 'out of stock' items, I'm still not sure how I'll be putting meals together... And I haven't seen a roll of toilet paper available for shipment since February... People tell me it's out there, but I'll have to take their word for it... Luckily, I had a small stockpile, but it's not going to last forever... This is just nonsense... No wonder we're not getting much respect these days...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt Ridiculously enough... As you know, I live just outside one of our major cities and yet, as far as I know, we have neither a 'super' Target or a 'super' Walmart... We have a lot of both stores, but many of them were moved into existing vacant retail space and minimally retrofitted and most of those that were built new were built before everyone got into the grocery business , back in the 90's... As a result, they now all have dedicated food sections, but I'd not call any of them, except possibly one Walmart I've yet to go to, an actual 'grocery store'...

That aside, I have no idea what the heck is happening as far as these endless supply chain issues that for some of us have been going on for months and are showing no signs of improvement... As you note, with so many thing closed, the excess food should be more than adequate to keep shelves stocked but is isn't... Perhaps it does have to do with local government, as I have seen little evidence of any high level of competence among my state's 'leadership'... Then too, there's a great divide in this state between the northern region and everything else.. Who the heck knows, but something needs to be done... I've got an order ostensibly coming from Giant later this week, but by the time I navigated past the many, many, 'out of stock' items, I'm still not sure how I'll be putting meals together... And I haven't seen a roll of toilet paper available for shipment since February... People tell me it;s out there, but I'll have to take their word for it... Luckily, I had a small stockpile, but it's not going to last forever... This is just nonsense... No wonder we're not getting much respect these days...

@stevieb 

Its strange that you live in close distance to major cities, yet no Super Target or Walmart exist....maybe as far as your major grocery store chains are concerned Super Target/Super Walmart are considered "small potatoes" pardon the pun and not real competition in the grocerty store biz, and Target & Walmart realize it too so they dont move to a location where they can upgrade to a Super store status and are content to carry minimal groceries---they make their sales elsewhere anyway....

Walmart decided to challenge The King of Groceries in Central & South Texas, HEB, and lost the grocery war BADLY.....HEB knows how to undercut the competition and thats what drove away Krogers, Albertsons, and other major chains from our city.....  (Target/Walmart, Trader Joes, Sams, Whole Foods arent any real threat--Costco does a booming business, just not enough stores to really challenge HEB)....

So being the only real game in town, HEB has us over a barrel, but whats interesting is the individual HEB stores compete against each other--the better stores are still well stock, while the poorly managed stores are the ones with empty shelves .......Whats funny when I order from Instacart they have 3 stores to chose from in my immediate area, but when shoppers find empty shelves they pass my order on to another store and another shopper, and Ive seen the name my shopper changed 2 or 3 times to the better stocked store...While stock may still not be available for cleaning products, or popular hoarded items, for the most part there's only 2 or 3 items not available from my original order .....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Very happy Wegmans has their own brand of kitchen towels.  They are in Print.  In both regular & select a size and they seem to be as good as Bounty used to be!  And I usually get them once a week.  But only one per person.

Honored Contributor

My Walmart Supercenter has been having a choice of 4 or 5 brands of TP available for their pick up service.  I assume the store has even more inside.  Haven't checked on cleaning products except they did finally get Dawn.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment